Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero HG5?

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
hg-5-1.jpg

Found this image. Anyone have or seen this style before? It has a one piece back with no yoke. Old discontinued style?
hg-5-2.jpg

Looks kinda like a Highwayman with mods.

BobJ

Practically Family
Yes, old, discontinued style by Aero. I considered getting one back in early 2013, but ended up getting a half-belt instead.

Amanda (superlative former Aero customer service person) told me that the pattern was specified by some company out of Hong Kong that ordered a bunch of them.

Back then, one piece backs were all the rage, and a (supposed) mark of high quality.

Butte had one.

robrinay

One Too Many
I’ve got one made by Julie Leitch - I like it too, it’s a cross between a Highwayman and an A2 without the knits - almost a Luftwaffe jacket style. I believe it was a collaboration between ‘Aero’ (in that period a few years ago when Ken Calder had retired) and a director of the firm BobJ mentions above. I gather they were given as rewards to staff of the firm when they ‘achieved their targets’. The style was also available for the general public. I don’t think the jacket needs the external wind flap for either style or function but as I wear mine mainly unzipped it doesn’t really matter. I’ve often thought of asking Aero to modify it by removing the flap.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Back then, one piece backs were all the rage, and a (supposed) mark of high quality.

A one piece back is only a "mark of quality" insofar as you have to be a lot more selective with the hides to find a single piece that is free of defects.

I think to a certain extent it's a good visual look to avoid too many seams. But I don't think that a kidney panel or a shoulder yoke compromises the look of a jacket. Nor does a half-belt.

On the other hand, I don't care for center seams down the back, though, in most styles. There are a few types of style that this works with for me, but in general I think it's better looking if there's not a seam running down the middle of the back.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I had Aero make me a Highwayman in FQHH with a one piece back. Looks good. I’m not a big fan of center seams either, I had a Schott cafe racer with a big center seam running down the back, sold it.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Regarding center seam down the back, when it is a slit instead of a seam, you are in different territory! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
It is possible that if Aero still have the pattern they might be persuaded to make one (the beauty of the custom order procedure). The other alternative which is quite close is the Route 66, which is very similar (save for the cuffs, which could be altered) and the front halfbelt. The Route 66 is a simple, unfussy jacket, made on the same pattern as the Grizzly, but plain leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ