Aero Highwayman jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marv, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

Quick question for guys regarding the Aero Highwayman jacket.....which would you say was the heavier/stiffer, Steerhide or Horsehide.

2. Technonut

Technonut Practically Family

I don't own a Heavy steerhide Aero, but I would imagine the front quarter horsehide to be stiffer.....

This is my Highwayman when it was new, standing by it's self on my deck....

[​IMG]

It may be stiff and heavy, but will break-in nicely, and last practically forever.... ;)

EDIT: I'm sure that you could request a lighter weight horsehide that would be very tough, but supple, and take less time to break-in... I will probably go that route on my next Aero.... (Yes, there will be another.. ;) )

3. Marv
    I have several Aero utility jackets. Highwayman,HalfBelts,etc...in FQHH..lighter weight "Vintage"HH..and Steer. Their hvy FQHH is definately the stiffest when new. However,IMO,no other hide seems to gain as much charactor,as an end result,like Aero's FQHH. However,be aware,it will take some time to become comfortable.
    HD

4. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

cheers fellas....thanks for the heads up :)

5. DJS Press

DJS Press One of the Regulars

One observation: Amanda at Aero sent me several samples of brown and cordovan FQHH and heavy steerhide to consider for my next Aero purchase.

I noticed that the heavy steer samples tended to be slightly thicker than the FQHH, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they all will be. What I really noticed was that the FQHH was a lot stretchier than the steerhide. This seemed to be consistent across the board with all the samples.

In either case, if you show the jacket who's boss you'll have the intial break-in done within a few weeks. I still like horse for the grain.

6. jacketquest

jacketquest Familiar Face

A few small swatches are different than a whole jacket. I think you'll find that it will take considerbly longer than a few weeks to break in a heavy FQHH jacket from Aero.

7. DJS Press

DJS Press One of the Regulars

I'll take exception to that. Notice that I said "initial break-in" in my post -- by no means is it even close to totally broken-in. I took delivery of a FQHH Highwayman in mid February. At first it seemed like it may never break in (it's that thick, stiff, and heavy) but after the first month of hard wear it had developed some considerable grain and was much more comfortable -- certainly very wearable.

Hell, I think I could wear this for years before it would be totally broken-in. But therein lies the part of the beauty -- a heavy FQHH jacket is always a work in progress.

8. jacketquest

jacketquest Familiar Face

I see. Sorry I misunderstood what you meant by initial break-in. Your experience mirrors mine with these Aero FQHH jackets. The initial break in happens quite readily but takes years to complete.