Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman vs Sheene vs Cafe racer

Seank

A-List Customer
Hi, my name is Sean and I am an aeroholic. My problem is living in Seattle I live to close to my enabler...its just to easy to call Carrie from Thurston Bros to meet me for a jacket fitting.... Met up yesterday for a fitting and ended up buying a Highwayman right there on the spot. It’s my 4th Aero in three years! My history... I am 5’8” weigh 175 lbs. 1st jacket a size 40 seal Vicenza Board racer, just couldn’t get comfortable in it, felt the arms were to high, a little to small...gave it to my bro in law. 2nd and 3rd, ordered last year a Sheene and a cafe race, size 42, both in cxl fqhh the Sheene is dark brown, the CR in black. Great jackets but sleeves are slightly shorter (maybe 1/2”) than I like but otherwise fit great. Went in yesterday because I thought I wanted a bootlegger, but as Carrie was fitting me using a gorgeous cxl heavy fqhh brown Highwayman with St Andrews’s light wool tartan I just could not resist, changed my mind and purchased it right there on the spot. The leather on this one is just the right shade of brown and the hh is very heavy, feels like steerhide which I really love.
So now I have three jackets and 2 in brown CXL.
I feel like I should maybe sell the Sheene because I love everything about the new Highwayman and don’t see why I need two similar brown jackets. Carrie however (the enabler that she is) thinks the Sheene fits me well and I should keep it. (I’ve had it a year, it’s broken in, drapes and fits good, is gorgeous dark brown...darker than the new Highwayman)
What to do? what to do?
Also, I have included pics so if anyone is considering these jackets they can see fit pics and compare the jackets... the Highwayman is tagged a full 2 sizes smaller than the Sheene and CR and still feels slightly larger do to its boxy cut.

Attachments

• FB734363-7052-45C4-9A8B-ADAE91B3B0FB.png
    FB734363-7052-45C4-9A8B-ADAE91B3B0FB.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5,227
  • A6E34CEB-40E2-453C-A71F-59F3B0F41711.png
    A6E34CEB-40E2-453C-A71F-59F3B0F41711.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,236
  • 65CF9265-2B23-44E3-8470-72577D486411.png
    65CF9265-2B23-44E3-8470-72577D486411.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,384
  • 1C074A1B-0598-48D6-B3E8-6E4E9F083FB1.png
    1C074A1B-0598-48D6-B3E8-6E4E9F083FB1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,959
  • 7CCFC4AB-4289-4D67-BA13-86ECD8CFCA2F.jpeg
    7CCFC4AB-4289-4D67-BA13-86ECD8CFCA2F.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 2,983
  • E67EA5FF-2E59-4D27-9F84-63914E725485.jpeg
    E67EA5FF-2E59-4D27-9F84-63914E725485.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 3,427
Lol Aeroholic... First off, hi, Seank. :)

HWM and Sheene are two very different jackets. Hard to compare the two so they shouldn't clash. All the jackets in the photos you posted fit you perfectly. I understand why some people might be inclined to prefer a slimmer fitting Sheen over HWM but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be dismissed. HWM is simply that sort of a jacket and yours fits great. It's up to you to decide whether you prefer the fit of one over the other.

I say keep both, especially if you love the HWM.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All three look great and fit well. If you need or want to sink the money into something else sell one but you can’t un- sell them.

They have a different enough look to keep them all if you don’t need the cash.

Why not sit on them for a year or two and see if you wear them all before you decide? Some days I feel like a slim fitting jacket and others I just feel like a loser fit, it’s good to have the choice...

ai00344

One of the Regulars
All great jackets but the Sheene suits you the best. Great sleek fit and I like the extra dark brown

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I agree with several others here - as I have grown older and begun to understand fit, I have totally moved away from the Highwayman cut. I find it very boxy, and not flattering - in my honest opinion, you like like a different person in that jacket.

On the other hand, the Cafe Racer and the Sheene fit you very well, and are very tapered. I can see why some would like a boxier cut than these, but I think there is a more attractive middle ground between a standard Highwayman and the extreme taper of the Cafe Racer. Perhaps a 1930's half belt cut?

Seank

A-List Customer
Thanks for all of the opinions. I agree that in the photos the Sheene and the CR appear to fit me better, but in person the leather on the HWM is superior, it’s absoltuely stunning. Plus the Sheene and CR have a year of wear on them and drape a lot better VS a brand new unbroken HWM. I have a feeling with some wear and time that HWM will drape and fit better than it looks now and lose some of the boxiness. (Anyone with the HWM, Has this been your experience??)
Again, thanks for the feedback, I think I will keep them all. (And start planning the next LOL, did someone mention a 1930’s halfbelt )

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all of the opinions. I agree that in the photos the Sheene and the CR appear to fit me better, but in person the leather on the HWM is superior, it’s absoltuely stunning. Plus the Sheene and CR have a year of wear on them and drape a lot better VS a brand new unbroken HWM. I have a feeling with some wear and time that HWM will drape and fit better than it looks now and lose some of the boxiness. (Anyone with the HWM, Has this been your experience??)
Again, thanks for the feedback, I think I will keep them all. (And start planning the next LOL, did someone mention a 1930’s halfbelt )
When the leather fully breaks in, it really will be your jacket. The feel and drape gets so good. I am a bit weird in that I love CXL even when it's stiff and new and uncomfortable, but I have equal love for how it gets after breaking. You will too.

Seank

A-List Customer
Been awhile since I revisited this thread but Damn. I did it again. Just finalized an order for another Aero. My new brown fqhh Highwayman is breaking in nice, and I like it so much, I just couldn’t resist ordering another one in black heavy steerhide. AND I set up an appointment to meet with Carrie again at the beginning of Jan to start looking at something else , although this time as a gift for my father in law. Seriously people, this is becoming a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana