Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero internal kidney panel without an external kidney panel. How commonly does it show through?

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
I've been scouring threads about this, and people's opinion seems to vary a lot. How often does the internal panel show through the back with age when there is no external kidney panel? Any pictures of this showing how bad the effect would be?

Killick

One of the Regulars
I ordered a new Aero Board Racer a couple weeks ago and was discussing this with Carrie @ Thurston Bros. I wanted the internal kidney panel. Carrie suggested not going with one and not the other. She said they would, (the internal panel), eventually show through. In other words you'd have a perfectly horizontal line across the back. I did not order it.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I have an Aero Sheene in black Horween CXLHH with internal kidney panel and not external. This was an oversight in my order as I didn’t want ANY kidney panel but I didn’t return it as to avoid the hassle of shipping and custom fees.
The jacket is now 4 years old and the internal panel has left a very obvious mark on the back panel that I dislike. I’ve thought about relining it several times because of this but it’s too late now. I try not to think about it when I wear it but it does bother me.

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
I have an Aero Sheene in black Horween CXLHH with internal kidney panel and not external. This was an oversight in my order as I didn’t want ANY kidney panel but I didn’t return it as to avoid the hassle of shipping and custom fees.
The jacket is now 4 years old and the internal panel has left a very obvious mark on the back panel that I dislike. I’ve thought about relining it several times because of this but it’s too late now. I try not to think about it when I wear it but it does bother me.

Thank you so much! Would love to see a picture if it's not too much effort.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Thank you so much! Would love to see a picture if it's not too much effort.
I’m sorry but the jacket is packed away for the season, it’s the middle of summer here in Australia. The mark is a very obvious horizontal line across the lower back. Only jacket addicts would notice it though, but for the OCD type of personality (like most in this forum) it’s quite clear.

zebedee

One Too Many
I’m sorry but the jacket is packed away for the season, it’s the middle of summer here in Australia. The mark is a very obvious horizontal line across the lower back. Only jacket addicts would notice it though, but for the OCD type of personality (like most in this forum) it’s quite clear.
I've found that creases in the lower back are unavoidable in leather jackets generally.

Mr Knight

Familiar Face
The general consensus I noted was that either have both internal & external kidney panels, or have neither for the above mentions issues. It’ll probably take longer to show through on a looser fitting jacket but if it’s very trim then it won’t take long before a horizontal line is visible.

I don't know, I always thought that the line created by the internal kidney panel looks very cool. Can't explain it why, I guess it just adds character to the jacket for me. Like, simply knowing it's properly made with the doubled back panel makes me happy, regardless of the back being one piece.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I'm not talking about aero here, but all my jackets have internal kidney panel, I like them... just don't have the top of the panel perfectly horizontal, maybe you could ask them to be slightly curved then it will look cool (at least to me). or if the jacket has half belt then it can perfectly hide that ghosting line

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko