Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero King of the Road

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Just arrived.

A trim fitting 42 that I can wear like a second skin. It is still stiff, and quite thick. The J-106 seems to be the favorite Aero D-pocket on the Lounge, followed closely by the Ridley, but I think you have to give props to the King of the Road.

It's super heavy. Weights about 9-10 lbs. Whoever said Aero motorcycle jackets aren't meant for riding in, come try this one on!

Hail to the King, baby!

4a5806712a21e58366e4d8f369bf8bae.jpg
ec879f4587e75c6cb279d804a6ea8fa1.jpg
fb188aec33d3b5140c5de5d29f355912.jpg
9faa11e8d77821b210c6372191eccf3b.jpg
add0663a7ff5f1449d6f618d0ca7b205.jpg
60d443844d357a8a0d984525559e2ed7.jpg
ad4678b4fda35fe7e2d70b34a34837f2.jpg
0d1859d689ab20b99229a0f2d23a29b8.jpg
fd669959f9b62b007ce9021be5a53740.jpg

Last edited:
The corduroy lining is sweet isn't it!?! I love it in my Bootlegger. That's a well appointed jacket man. Nicely done.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
The corduroy lining is sweet isn't it!?! I love it in my Bootlegger. That's a well appointed jacket man. Nicely done.

It's the first time I've had a corduroy lined leather jacket, and I do like it. Theodoros had offered to do Triangle Man with a cord lining, as well, but I didn't take him up on it because I wasn't sure what it would be like. But now that I've got one, I can say that it's a good lining. I wonder how durable it is. This jacket is used, but not a lot of wear evident on it, really.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I like the back's bottom yoke and belt-through feature better than that of the J-106

I have a hard time picking a favorite, but the KotR is definitely a busier, more distinctive back. The J106 back is simpler, which makes it distinctive in its own way, and isn't a bad thing at all.

Something else interesting to point out, in this jacket, the pillion pockets do not have any lining to them. They open directly into the space between the leather shell and the interior lining. I wonder why they're made that way.

Last edited:

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
I have just unbelievable luck with buying secondhand jackets that fit like they were made to measure.

Plenty of near misses, too, tho.
Beautiful jacket.I got mine second hand also and love it too death.They have a lot of interesting design features from a lot of different motorcycle jackets....possibly the lower back is similar to a Sears jacket

http://cosmicjumper.sblo.jp/article/58455221.html

Edward

Bartender
I have a hard time picking a favorite, but the KotR is definitely a busier, more distinctive back. The J106 back is simpler, which makes it distinctive in its own way, and isn't a bad thing at all.

Both fantastic designs, imo. This one looks intersting - how's the drop from the chest to the waistband? I know it's very drastic in the Aero MC (Perfecto type) - or was ten years ago, anyhow (not sure if the pattern has been revised since 2012). The KOTR looks like it might be more forgiving that way. Simpler on the front than the J106 (no breast pocket). Looks really nice. I'd love one of these in a reddy-brown colour with brass fittings...

Something else interesting to point out, in this jacket, the pillion pockets do not have any lining to them. They open directly into the space between the leather shell and the interior lining. I wonder why they're made that way.

I believe that's accurate to the original, though I'm sure Holly / Denny / Ken could confirm this. I guess in part it's because pocket bags are superfluous for a pillion passenger's hands (they're unlikely, after all, to fall off and get lost in the lining....). I guess it also lets them slide their hands as far in as is comfortable for both.

Worth nothing that I've also read about many riders stuff a rolled-up newspaper in there for insulation, or as a bit of a primitive kidneypad. I've definitely seen jackets with only one "pillion pocket", so clearly that was for a purpose other than pillion handwarmer!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
They have a lot of interesting design features from a lot of different motorcycle jackets....possibly the lower back is similar to a Sears jacket

http://cosmicjumper.sblo.jp/article/58455221.html

It's definitely taking inspiration from the Sears Hercules motorcycle jackets of the 50's and 60's, among others.

how's the drop from the chest to the waistband? I know it's very drastic in the Aero MC (Perfecto type) - or was ten years ago, anyhow (not sure if the pattern has been revised since 2012). The KOTR looks like it might be more forgiving that way.

It's a short jacket. It hits right at the natural waist. You can see it doesn't cover the belt on my pants. I like that quite a bit, actually, it feels like it should fit very well in a riding position, my thighs shouldn't push the jacket up at all.

I believe that's accurate to the original, though I'm sure Holly / Denny / Ken could confirm this. I guess in part it's because pocket bags are superfluous for a pillion passenger's hands (they're unlikely, after all, to fall off and get lost in the lining....). I guess it also lets them slide their hands as far in as is comfortable for both.

I'd be curious to hear the answer.

roadking04

Practically Family
Nice jacket Guppy! I have contemplated getting this jacket from time to time. Nice to see it get some exposure. The only reason I shy away from it is back, bottom. It looks like it would rise up when riding. You'll have to let us know how it does on those cold Cleveland mornings. Thanks for all the pics.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket Guppy! I have contemplated getting this jacket from time to time. Nice to see it get some exposure. The only reason I shy away from it is back, bottom. It looks like it would rise up when riding. You'll have to let us know how it does on those cold Cleveland mornings. Thanks for all the pics.

With your name, I think you kindof need one :)

This one is snug enough at the waist that I doubt it will ride up at all.

Guppy, I meant to ask. Is the Aero maker's tag still in the pocket? What's the date? That looks a lot like my 2012 j-106 in terms of the extra heavy hide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points