Aero Leather Clothing trial update

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Sloan1874, May 1, 2015.

1. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

Y'all too clever.

2. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Chrome tanning is one process. CXL undergoes both a vegetable and chrome tan=combination tanned, with some extra finishing steps that is unique to Horween I think. My understanding is that that extra vegetable tanning stage in the CXL is what allows the leather to age so nicely and contributes to its pleasing natural look, rather than just being flat colored. It's the middle visual result. On the left you have a completely vegetable tanned jacket that looks very natural and organic (think Italian horsehide) and on the right you have an 80s Air Force A-2 (very flat/one color-why a FQHH jacket looks a tad bit more processed than say a Vicenza). It is also stuffed with these oils and waxes, (pull up leather), so when the jacket gets worn certain areas will become discolored. I think the CXL was an attempt to bring in the benefits of both chrome (robustness) and vegetable (aesthetics) tanning together. That's how I read it anyhow.

There are different finishing steps in other leathers that make a difference in appearance as well. You can have a completely chrome tanned jacket with no pigment added, which will still bring out the leather's natural variances because there's no pigment covering the leather. So it might not always be easy to tell the difference between chrome/veg. If my analysis is dead wrong correct me!

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  3. Otter

Otter One Too Many

Careful now! <Turns 3 times to widdershins and throws salt over shoulder>. With that kind of talk you will summon the ghost of the Bill Kelso Representative.:rant:

4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

5. Yep..unfortunately, this kind of stuff does bury info related to the topic as it drags on.
    HD

6. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

I just bought a custom Aero Jacket and have recieved no such email disparaging anyone or anything! Sorry I'm still out of town in Pittsburgh PA.

Worf

7. Edward

Edward Bartender

I never received any such email either (though I've bought from Aero pre and post September 2012, but never AL). Maybe somebody is pulling their leg.

8. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

+1

I'm just waiting for their website statement to be 'adjusted' to match reality. It occurred to me that the problem for AL letting their jackets 'do the talking' is that most of them just shout 'Actually, we're just Aero rip-offs!':D

9. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

I think the latter part of what Sloan just said emphasizes what could come back to haunt AL above all else. What is the coincidence between the patterns copied over a six-month period described by JL and the emergence of "close resemblance" when AL first introduced their new line of jackets slightly over two years ago?

10. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

I feel for the 10 or so other staff members that followed WL to AL.

I doubt they all knew he had embezzled that kind of money or what was really going on.

If AL is forced to close, these people could be in real financial trouble. I can't imagine there are many job opportunities for their skill set.

11. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I'm sorry, but from what I heard at the trial, there was a lot of complicity - not least Johnny Minto, who admitted that he knew all about the mislabelling.

12. ProteinNerd

Sure that's 1 other person who probably knew what was happening to some degree but that potentially still leaves 9 others who may also become victims of WL if AL goes bust.

13. devilish

devilish A-List Customer

I've actually worn that exact jacket. Just for a few minutes. I used to work for NC.

14. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Again, having sat through the evidence, I would not say that with any confidence - the similarity of evidence given by the Moffat trio was uncanny. Also, you have to ask yourself what sort of sympathy can you have for the employees who set up a petition against the Calders? That's a sacking offence for a start, so going out the door to join a convicted thief suggests is really on their own heads.

15. ProteinNerd

Good point, tbh I had forgotten about the petition. Thanks for the reminder. Guess I'll stop feeling sorry for them then.

16. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Perfect example of how one person's bad decisions can create havoc with others, often involving innocent people. Not only the AL employees but WL's wife and young child. I also recall Ken's comment about how this whole process had aged his wife, Lydia, by 20 years over a 2-3 year period of time. Always the innocent. Absolutely nothing in this whole sordid mess about which to rejoice or be gleeful. [huh]

17. Don Tomaso

Don Tomaso A-List Customer

Well, maybe KC is not the saint you all make him look like and not everybody loves him, and some of the workers for Aero didn't like the idea of the Calders coming back and had no idea of any mischief and embeezlement on the side of WL? Nobody who left back then joined a "convicted thief" as back then he wasn't one. You blame others to be not as clever as you are now in hindsight, which, from my point of view isn't even unfair, it's nonsense.

18. wdw

wdw One Too Many

Sloan, who was the third of the Moffat trio?

19. Bunyip

Bunyip Call Me a Cab

From a company puffing their chest up and talking about legal action I would have thought the statement regarding the email might equate to slander?

20. Bunyip

Bunyip Call Me a Cab

I think there are several openings in Arizona for a dynamic little company called Lawless....I think it would suit most of them in name and nature