Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Original Hercules sizing advice

bTr33

New in Town
Hi all

I am having a really hard time deciding on the correct size (40 or 42) for an Aero Original Hercules and would greatly appreciate some advice.
I was able to try a size 42 in a local store and the fit seemed pretty good. When trying to bring my hands together in front of the chest with stretched arms it felt that the back just below the arm pits shouldn't be any tighter. However, based on my measurements I would think that the correct size would be a 40, which is why I am a bit confused. And I own a Schott NYC café racer in a size 38 that fits just great.
The shop man said that the Hercules size 42 looks good, but who knows if he just wanted to sell.
What I would really dislike are sagging shoulders (i.e. jacket being too wide in the shoulders) once it gets broken in.
Would by any chance someone here own a 40 or 42 original Hercules and could take some measurements (sleeve and back length, shoulders seam to seam)? If it helps, I am happy to provide my measurements.
Advice is much appreciated!

schitzo

Suspended
my understanding (I own a size 38) is that shoulders on a 40 would be 18" wide and 18.5" for a 42. Stock back length for a size 38 is 24.5" but of course you can have the sleeves and body length adjusted to suit

bTr33

New in Town
Great, thanks! The shoulders on my other leather jacket that fits well are more like 19", so this would suggest the 42. Which explains why it felt right in the store.

bTr33

New in Town
Another question just came to mind. Is your jacket lined with the standard corduroy and if yes, would you recommend it? Or would maybe cotton drill be better in terms of easily putting on the jacket?

Lining shouldn't make any difference, as far as I am aware, as the sleeves are only lined with cotton drill by default. Corduroy lining is heavier than cotton drill, though.

Edward

Bartender
Regarding sizing, always go by what looks and feels right to you - never trust to a sizing label, because no two companies grade their sizing in exactly the same way. My wardrobe contains jackets labelled 42, 44, 46 and even one 48; all fit me equally well. In an Aero, I'm a 44 in all their pre-war type halfbelts, and a 42 in a Highwayman or one of the more generous, fifties-based cuts. Sounds like the 42 is right for you. If in any doubt, email Holly at Aero and ask - they're very helpful. If you're in the US, you might think about ordering through Thurston - very helpful too, and I gather they can send out a fit jacket as part of the process.

schitzo

Suspended
Another question just came to mind. Is your jacket lined with the standard corduroy and if yes, would you recommend it? Or would maybe cotton drill be better in terms of easily putting on the jacket?

Personally, I really like the cord lining. I especially like the cord lined collar, which makes it sit much better and wear more comfortably. My personal take is that this jacket should be black

bTr33

New in Town
I guess I am going for the cord. I Like that a lot too.
The jacket will definitely be black. Only thing to decide is the tumbled (which is recommended by Aero) vs. regular black. The only reason for me to consider the tumbled is that I don't like leather too shiny. I definitely don't mind it being stiff and heavy though.

schitzo

Suspended
I guess I am going for the cord. I Like that a lot too.
The jacket will definitely be black. Only thing to decide is the tumbled (which is recommended by Aero) vs. regular black. The only reason for me to consider the tumbled is that I don't like leather too shiny. I definitely don't mind it being stiff and heavy though.

I received mine in tumbled by mistake and the replacement in regular black FQHH was incomparable; it looked a thousand times better. The black veg tanned goatskin they have would also be a good shout, as would the Vicenza HH if you went through Insurrection

I received mine in tumbled by mistake and the replacement in regular black FQHH was incomparable; it looked a thousand times better. The black veg tanned goatskin they have would also be a good shout, as would the Vicenza HH if you went through Insurrection

Heh, good to hear this, as I was considering going with a tumbled for my next jacket. I'll stick to regular FQHH.

bTr33

New in Town

I found an earlier post of yours with pictures. Are the pictures on page two of that thread the regular black FQHH or the tumbled black?

schitzo

Suspended
I found an earlier post of yours with pictures. Are the pictures on page two of that thread the regular black FQHH or the tumbled black?

On page 2 of this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?77180-Aero-1920s-Original-Hercules/page2
the pics are of the regular black FQHH and I must say this is the best looking leather I've ever had (I got lucky). In comparison the previous version in tumbled could not hold a candle to this, it was dull looking, plain ordinary if you ask me

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The Aero website describes corduroy body lining and moleskin sleeve lining. I really like the idea of cord body lining but would go with cotton drill sleeve lining primarily for ease of use.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
My Bootlegger has moleskin in the sleeves. Nice to wear, but definitely ramps up the heat. Not one to consider if you run hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points