Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Perfection - my new Cordovan FQHH Ridley

AlexB

One of the Regulars
Hi everybody,

after 48 Emails back and forth with Carrie (Thanks for her patience) I received my second Aero jacket yesterday after only 40 days of waiting.
We started the process based on my 46 BR, which served as fit-jacket as the Ridley pattern is quite similar to the BR according to Carrie.
When opening the package (shipped directly from Galaheils to my place) a beautiful smell of fresh FQHH filled the room.
It is always such an exciting moment to hold the new jacket in hands the first time:
Did everything worked out as planned?
Do the design features and color-combinations work as envisioned?
And most important, the fit - too tight? too roomy?, body-length, sleeve length - so many variables.

First things first:
Julie Leitch did an amazing job! No matter where I look and how I turn the jacket - it is of immaculate quality. The stitch work is amazing and the leather is gorgeous.
I asked for a dark shade of Cordovan. Thanks to Tony I decided to go with this color and I could not be happier. There is so much variation in the color. When standing in front of a window and sun comes through it is a rich burgundy, when being in the shadow it almost appears black and in between it is brown!

I am also very happy with the navy cotton sateen lining. Compared with Cotton drill its feels significantly smoother and lighter. When wearing the jacket which is of course still super stiff you feel every fold and dent. However, it makes getting into the jacket way easier compared to my BR. This is not only due to the lining but also due to the arms which are way roomier.

Overall I think I will be very happy with the cotton sateen. My goal was to have a jacket for almost year round wear. Thus I looked for the thinnest and still sufficiently durable lining for warmer summer days and planned for enough space for layering (e.g. a nice knitted wool pullover/hoodie). This brings me to fit.

To be honest, in the beginning I was surprised (should I say worried?!) how much more room the jacket has in the chest, shoulder and arms, compared to my BR (both are size 46). The waist area is quite similar. Snug when wearing a pullover without using the cinches too much. Now, after I thought a good night's sleep over it, I think it is just right. In general I think it is so difficult to judge the fitting of a new Aero when brand new. Especially with the huge amount of double layered leather in the front it is like wearing cardboard, which of course does not fall as smooth as well worn-in leather.

Anyways, I am very interesting what you guys think. Looking forward to receive some honest feedback!

Other details: I went for a inside pocket in the lining. I was annoyed by the pockets on my BR which more and more became visible on the outside of the jacket (I got them removed by Aero - basically it was like receiving two new jackets yesterday). Since I only carry a money clip or smartphone in the jacket this should be sufficient.

Also I am super happy with the olive drab stitching. It goes very well with the navy and Cordovan. The shiny brass is actually very shiny, but so many people told me to go with the shiny option and let it age naturally instead of going with the pre-aged. I am looking forward to see some development here as well.

I am very much looking forward to break this beast in. Wearing a thick sweater, the German cold and mostly rainy winter should be a perfect climate to accelerate this process. I will try to post regular updates how the jacket evolves.

Enough words, now pictures!

A special thanks to Tony who (as a real Cordovan-cross-zip expert) supported me in making one or the other decision.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Well, now you can quit buying jackets ever again. :)

I think you've nailed it.

One thing: is that a *patch pocket* on the inside of the lining on the wearer's left? I didn't think Aero did pockets like that! I expect that it should not "print" through the leather as their usual vertical slit pocket openings tend to. That's a really nice touch, if so. Although, I'd prefer if the pocket were a bit larger and higher up in the body.

Regardless, I think this is a solid 10.

Man this turned out incredibly well!! Absolutely gorgeous jacket, beautiful hide and perfect fit. And yeah I’m sweating from my teeth with anticipation for my own to come through. Looks amazing man. Congrats!!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great but size 46!! Do these run really small? Maybe its just the photos but you don't look like a size 46 and this is a great fit...no offence intended.

AlexB

One of the Regulars
Looks great but size 46!! Do these run really small? Maybe its just the photos but you don't look like a size 46 and this is a great fit...no offence intended.

Thanks for the compliments! I am 2 meters tall (6 feet, 6 inch) and around 200 pounds. Currently working on getting a little bigger in the chest and shoulders.
To put it in perspective, the body length is 28 inch and the arms 29.5 [emoji6]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
That looks really really really nice, cordovan is such a fantastic color!
About the fit, could you have squeezed yourself into a jacket one size smaller? Probably. Would it have been a better fit? No. IMO this is a really good fit. Not too tight and definitely not too big. It sits neat on you with a little room to layer, perfect!

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

dannyk

One Too Many
Man that Thedi, now this! The colors lately on TFL have been mind blowing. I have so many ideas in my head now. This place is killing my bank account. But congrats the colors and textures on this are beautiful.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Can’t wait to see more of that grain and creasing!

abc26021bb93255bd401b76202cdfb25.jpg

This is a very nice jacket, but you should try your next one with a couple inches less in the arms.
IMO 28" would probably work just as well on you and you would be able to close the zippers fully.

Still, very nice fit for only a second jacket.

AlexB

One of the Regulars
This is a very nice jacket, but you should try your next one with a couple inches less in the arms.
IMO 28" would probably work just as well on you and you would be able to close the zippers fully.

Still, very nice fit for only a second jacket.

I have 28 inch on my BR. I think the arm length looks good on that jacket but after the creasing started I wished for a little more length. Since I planned to use this jacket with the big windflap also for riding I added another .5 inch. I can easily close the zippers fully but due to the still very stiff leather that goes inside the sleeve it is not very comfortable [emoji6]

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
And perfection it is... great jacket really! Carrie and Aero really outdid themselves to get this jacket to fit you so well! Congratulations!

Btw.. I think you may be infected with the TFL-virus. Watch out. If you find yourself browsing through the internet on the hunt for more leather jackets in the coming days and weeks, immediately consult the Outerwear Section for advice. We have our medical condition sorted out here, trust me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider