Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Pioneer

simonc

Practically Family
Aero Pioneer cx fqhh brown
DWfFWFz.jpg

Bi-swing back & brass fittings
1QkmH7T.jpg

Button up moded front with 4 (rather than 5) butterscotch horn buttons and western yoke
blSOaoQ.jpg

Olive thread & alpaca lining
TUYtXqZ.jpg

Lovely fit, sits right on the hips. Fit pics anon.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Very nice.

I thought Aero weren't doing much customization anymore apart from sleeve and body length? This seems to be heavily customized.

wdw

One Too Many
Looking good, and I'm also looking forward to the fit pics. Also surprised at the level of customisation allowed.

Edward

Bartender
Simon, which mods have been made? Buttons, yoke... Looks like the pockets from the Sunburst model instead of the regular handwarmers?

simonc

Practically Family
Hi guys, thanks for the postive feedback, firstly I just want to clear up that one has to pay for modification, and one has to ask very nicely too, as you are doing something to your taste it is not always easy to achieve. But I must say Denny and his team were very patient, quick to understand and much to their credit seemed to enjoy the challenge. I am very pleased.

Spec was:
CX FQHH - Denny kindly sourced matching mid to heavy hide in brown so the jacket has heft but not bulk its neither soft nor rigid.
Button up - four buttons - 5 was suggested but I felt here under using the number of buttons gave the jacket a more period look. I hope you agree.
Pockets - Sunburst - as the jacket is waist sitting and semi fitted I wanted something that was more waistcoat in feel, or less street lurker, thus the nearly horizontal pockets. I know they look straight in the wideshot, but the top picture shows them correctly. The pockets are also very deep and quite high, double bagged and double stitched, I have no intention of putting hands in them just keys phones, taramasalata etc.
Stitching - Olive. I did ponder Tan but Denny and I felt it would be a bit over the top, the Olive, I hope you agree, just sets the leather off enough to draw the eye to it.
Yoke - front and back. The Pioneer has a straight yoke, the back has a slight curve but not that great, as I was after a more vintage western vibe I asked for this to be double yoked on the front and extended on the back. Ken kindly cut a yoke for it.
Bi-Swing Back - We all know how tedious it can be trying to reach for a drink or even drive with a heavy single-piece leather jacket on; bi-swing instantly releases the back/shoulders to extend and rotate, I was going to go for a shoulder pocket, but this kind of bi-swing is very discreet and jacket feels much lighter and far more practical.
Alpaca lining - Aero have a new supplier this Alpaca is much thicker and fuzzier.
Double Leather Cuffs.
Delivered on time and in person by Mr DHL.
* I have to say if you are going to mod a jacket and are prepared to pay for it, great, but don't be so hard-headed, listen to Ken and Denny, listen to what they advise on, they see hundreds of jackets coming and going, you don't, and they know a fine jacket. Put down your bucket list by all means, send it in, but listen to the feedback they give.

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
could you expand and the liner, i have an older alpaca lined aero and i hate it(the liner), too itchy, going to have it relined. is the newer lining less itchy?

simonc

Practically Family
Sure, yes, the new alpaca is thicker and softer than their past iterations, however once it beds-down I don't know what the difference will be, but I do know its thicker in pile and very soft to touch, more blanket in feel, not at all scratchy. If you need something softer but with more warmth you could get a lamb skin liner down to 1/4 inch? That Herc I just had completed is 3/4 of an inch lining which is more rug than blanket.

First thing I noticed was the buttons - or lack thereof. I like it. I don't button/zip up much so I think it's cool looking. Look forward to seeing it on. Congrat's!

Edward

Bartender
Jacket looks fantastic - if Aero are considering adding more jacket,s especially button-fronts, to their line-up, they could do a lot worse than this! Nice, subtle mods that keep the jacket within the Aero design philosophy, I'd say. I'm planning (and saving for!) my next jacket as it sits. I want something in black, halfbelty, one of the newer designs... The Pioneer is a real consideration - if they did it with buttons, that would really make it a go-er, distinguishing it nicely from my Highwayman.

* I have to say if you are going to mod a jacket and are prepared to pay for it, great, but don't be so hard-headed, listen to Ken and Denny, listen to what they advise on, they see hundreds of jackets coming and going, you don't, and they know a fine jacket. Put down your bucket list by all means, send it in, but listen to the feedback they give.

Yes... It seemed to me that the big thing about Aero changing the policy on 'whatever mods you want' was that, all said and done, it's their name going out on the finished product. There must come a point where what the customer wants is not what they feel comfortable being associated with - thinking here of the modified Windward that Ken labelled "the worst Aero ever"... I'm sure it's the same reason that ELC, who sell themselves on the basis of the historical accuracy of their military reproductions, don't want to do custom work that significantly alters those designs.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice jacket especially with buttons in stead of zipper. Could be my next target.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Can this still be called a Pioneer? No matter, I have to say looking at the pics each of these mods seems to have worked out just great. I suppose with this number of changes you are to an extent 'gambling' - albeit under team aero's supervision who, and I'm reading between the lines a bit here, I'm guessing helped to keep you on the right track - and I'd have to agree this one has definitely paid off. Well played! Now be a good lad and don't take too long with those fit pics! We don't mind if you post up your relined herc too. Cheers

schitzo

Suspended
and can I just add - though fits pics will of course be revealing - that at this point I reckon I like yours a lot more than the standard Pioneer. Very nice indeed sir

simonc

Practically Family
Thanks friends, really nice comments, so glad you like it, I will try to get fit pics up asap, bloody awful hot weather here right now. ~ To think I travelled 12,000 miles to run away from the bleeding sunshine and it haunts me still.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Don't worry, this weather is a once in a generation thing. Normal crappy service will be restored shortly...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points