Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero russet colour

Lear

One of the Regulars
I'm considering my second Aero.

I'd be most grateful if someone could explain a few things regarding the russet colour:

* What is jerky?

* Am I right in assuming that russet only comes in a lighter weight HH (not FQHH)?

* Any other thoughts on this colour? My last Aero was cordovan.

* I like the idea of russet FQHH - Guess that isn't going to happen though :(

Thanks

Lear

CBI

One Too Many
Aero's Russett is like WWII flight jacket brown. Its a nice color depending on which jacket you are wanting to buy. I believe the FQHH is heavier but I am not 100% about that. The Jerky is "lesser" hide (by today's sterile commercial standards). Jerky has more grain, a less even distribution of grain and shows some small "imperfections" in a hide. The jerky is used by Aero to replicate vintage jacket leather from an era where perfect hides was not an issue - just use what you have. I think jerky jackets also have ). This leather is wonderful and has MUCH more character than your standard mall/retain leathers. FQHH is the high end of HH. Considering Aero recreates vintage styles, jerky makes the most authentic statement however if I were ordering a non-military Aero jacket, FQHH would be high on the list. I like thier "brown HH" as an in-between choice.

Lear

One of the Regulars
CBI said:
Aero's Russett is like WWII flight jacket brown. Its a nice color depending on which jacket you are wanting to buy. I believe the FQHH is heavier but I am not 100% about that. The Jerky is "lesser" hide (by today's sterile commercial standards). Jerky has more grain, a less even distribution of grain and shows some small "imperfections" in a hide. The jerky is used by Aero to replicate vintage jacket leather from an era where perfect hides was not an issue - just use what you have. I think jerky jackets also have ). This leather is wonderful and has MUCH more character than your standard mall/retain leathers. FQHH is the high end of HH. Considering Aero recreates vintage styles, jerky makes the most authentic statement however if I were ordering a non-military Aero jacket, FQHH would be high on the list. I like thier "brown HH" as an in-between choice.

CBI, thanks for that great reply. It's a lot clearer now.

That's what I love about TFL, very helpful folk with real knowledge. There's another forum, where you have to wade through a dozen, 'I'm a comedian' type of posts, before you actually hit any real info. Not so here:eusa_clap

Everyday, I change my mind over - Long Half Belt, Admiral Byrd or another "Veste de Rallye".

I could never bring myself to wear a waist hugging, biker type jacket; just not my style I'm afraid. I'm hesitating over the LHB or AB, in case they turn out looking too 'groovy'.

So, I'm wondering how a second "Veste de Rallye" in russet would look. Bet that's hardly ever been done before!

Lear

CBI

One Too Many
I love the look of the long half belt. That will be my next Aero. I had the same short list as you.

Lear

One of the Regulars
CBI said:
I love the look of the long half belt. That will be my next Aero. I had the same short list as you.

It is a VERY nice looking jacket. Do post pics if you get one.

However, having heard how long these things last - and I do like to wear stuff until it falls apart - I can imagine the LHB becoming less of an attraction for me over the years. Ask me again tomorrow, and I'll give you 10 reasons why the LHB is the ONLY sensible option. What a dithering hypocrite I am lol

Lear

Lear

One of the Regulars
More dithering hypocrisy....

I just can't seem to get away from the idea of another "Veste de Rallye".. I love my cordovan one; it's become a part of me.

The fact that russet doesn't come in luxurious FQHH, is a bit of a bummer. Otherwise, I would do russet.

The only reason I've stayed clear of black FQHH, is that I don't care for the groovy biker connotations associated with it.

If I did go for a black "Veste de Rallye", would it still look respectable enough to be worn as smarter wear, after having been broken in? By smarter wear, I mean black derby/blutchers + chinos + crisp shirt. I have this idea that black leather is only worn by Goth types, or murderous Hells Angels who urinate on their jackets before turning in for bed. Not that I could ever be accused of stereotyping.

Does black FQHH have the same WOW factor as cordovan or brown? I can't help thinking that I'll pull out a fairly flat, uniform looking slab of FQHH from the box. Tell me that I'll be just as impressed with this colour. Cordovan or brown FQHH look extraordinary. I'm hoping that black FQHH exudes a luxuriousness, that sets it apart from the average black leather jacket.

I realize that there are pics on the Aero UK & US sites. Would just like a second opinion from those who have gone before.

Lear

bobjones

A-List Customer
Lear said:
More dithering hypocrisy....

I just can't seem to get away from the idea of another "Veste de Rallye".. I love my cordovan one; it's become a part of me.

The fact that russet doesn't come in luxurious FQHH, is a bit of a bummer. Otherwise, I would do russet.

The only reason I've stayed clear of black FQHH, is that I don't care for the groovy biker connotations associated with it.

If I did go for a black "Veste de Rallye", would it still look respectable enough to be worn as smarter wear, after having been broken in? By smarter wear, I mean black derby/blutchers + chinos + crisp shirt. I have this idea that black leather is only worn by Goth types, or murderous Hells Angels who urinate on their jackets before turning in for bed. Not that I could ever be accused of stereotyping.

Does black FQHH have the same WOW factor as cordovan or brown? I can't help thinking that I'll pull out a fairly flat, uniform looking slab of FQHH from the box. Tell me that I'll be just as impressed with this colour. Cordovan or brown FQHH look extraordinary. I'm hoping that black FQHH exudes a luxuriousness, that sets it apart from the average black leather jacket.

I realize that there are pics on the Aero UK & US sites. Would just like a second opinion from those who have gone before.

Lear

I too am close to getting my second Aero, and my first was a close "cousin" to yours, the Stockman in brown FQHH.

I am leaning towards a Highwayman - and am considering it in black as well, I am torn...

Lear

One of the Regulars
bobjones said:
I too am close to getting my second Aero, and my first was a close "cousin" to yours, the Stockman in brown FQHH.

I am leaning towards a Highwayman - and am considering it in black as well, I am torn...

Well, I guess that due to geography, we can both be torn until around June/July 09. Ordering after that, could eat into valuable Aero posing time.

I keep on coming back to the "veste de rallye". I've now ruled out every other jacket that Aero make :eek: It also has to be FQHH. That leaves only brown (too close to my current cordovan) or black. Cherry colour is not an option.

Maybe Aero have a secret stash of 'special colour' FQHH. Rather as they used to stock the horse blanket lining, that never got advertised :)

CBI

One Too Many
Just me but I have yet to see a black leather jacket that I really like. I think with black, one just does not see the grain as well. The color black and leather just don't seem to mix for me. Leather always looks "cheaper" to me when dyed black. Even the with the moto stuff, the occassional brown jackets look so much cooler to me than moto black. I do love a dark seal brown though.

(I am sure many folks reading this LOVE black leather) Just my 2 cents.

bobjones

A-List Customer
CBI said:
Just me but I have yet to see a black leather jacket that I really like. I think with black, one just does not see the grain as well. The color black and leather just don't seem to mix for me. Leather always looks "cheaper" to me when dyed black. Even the with the moto stuff, the occassional brown jackets look so much cooler to me than moto black. I do love a dark seal brown though.

(I am sure many folks reading this LOVE black leather) Just my 2 cents.

I totally hear you. A brown good quality leather jacket shows personality and character and ages well over time.

A lot of black leather jackets don't age well, and just look grungy and cheap as they get a greyish tint. Its just that my Stockman is in brown FQHH, and I was looking for something a little different, an alternate look so to speak.

Even if I get a Highwayman in brown as well, given the huge difference in jacket styles between the highwayman and stockman the Hwyman might be enough of a different "look".

What the black does have is a sharp, sophisticated look right out of the box, and living in NYC it seems a good fit for the surroundings. Just as if I lived in London, these 2 cities seem to gravitate heavily towards black "mod" clothing of the 1960s. If I was living outside of either city, brown would be an easier choice.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Anyone own a Long Half-belt in the russet buffalo? I can't tell from the pictures how light/dark it is.

Thanks

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Actually I'm waiting on one right now. I'll probably have it some time next week.

I already have a Californian in Russet buffalo. The picture on Aero's site really don't do it justice. The actual color is a nice reddish brown.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Thanks, Daniel. It is really hard to tell from the photos. I am not going to order anything until I nail down exactly what I want but could you post photos of your California? And when you get your HB post photos of that?

How long ago did you order your HB?

Thanks

JanSolo

Practically Family
Lear, although Aero calls it brown FQHH some of their skins are pretty close to russet spray finish hh in A2 weight.

Have a look at these pics of me wearing some brown Aero jackets. Can you see the rust tint of the leather?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/2966070525_b988e909d9.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2966902892_282aed3235.jpg?v=0

I have seen skins that are even lighter in colour and which lean much more towards russet.
I would recommend to ask Aero for one or two samples. You should call Amanda or Will and explain what you are looking for. I am 100% sure that Will and Johnny can source a FQ skin which is really close to russet spray finish hh.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Thanks, Jan. So, basically it looks like the leather on the old fleese lined bomber jackets? Almost a deep chocolet brown? Mark Moye characterized it as "redish brown, almost a brick color." Seems to me that would be on the lighter side. I did send Amanda an e-mail requesting a sample. (I hope she has patience, I have ask her for several samples)

So, for anybody, a course in leather 101. Other than color, how is the "russet buffalo" different from FQHH? Is is as durable? Will the finish last as long? Why doen't this leather seem to have as much appeal as the FQHH most people are ordering?

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
I had it on this morning. Here's a picture of it hanging on my chair......

P1000212.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn