Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Selkirk Jacket

Edward

Bartender
Puts me in mind of an Indy jacket that's a touch more period accurate... I wouldn't miss the handwarmer pockets, though. I like it.

Edward

Bartender
Didn't a Flounger have one made last year, or a couple of years ago, that was basically a Fifties halfbelt with A2 pockets - or, if you like, an Indy with a halfbelt back instead of the plain, two-panel back?

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
I asked Amanda and she says this was requested by Mark at Aero USA and as pointed out above it's a combination of 50s HB and M-422A (with a couple of extra features like the throat latch) so, not actually a new model. None the less, it looks pretty good, definitely has me thinking that I need goatskin jacket too.

p.s. the name 'Selkirk' was his idea i'm told, it's a town near Galashiels.

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family
I asked Amanda and she says this was requested by Mark at Aero USA and as pointed out above it's a combination of 50s HB and M-422A (with a couple of extra features like the throat latch) so, not actually a new model. None the less, it looks pretty good, definitely has me thinking that I need goatskin jacket too.

p.s. the name 'Selkirk' was his idea i'm told, it's a town near Galashiels.
The Selkirk jacket pictured on e-Bay is the actual jacket I ordered from Mark, and sent back because I ordered it in Russet goat and it came in Seal by mistake. I just received my re-order (in Russet goatskin) and it is a beautiful jacket. Very satisfied with the results. Breaking it in every day wearing it for work. Not looking for any credit, but that's my design! Actually kind of flatured he thought is was nice enough to put it on line.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
I love everything about this jacket except the front pockets. They seem clunky and bottom heavy and give the jacket kind of an amateurish look. Then again, maybe I am missing some kind of nostaliga thing. Military? No idea. The back of the jacket is striking, as is the basic cut.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Great mods Paul, I think it comes together really well. Intrigued by the russet goat, would love to see pics if you have any.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I think it is awesome. After seeing how nice goatskin is with my G&B, I would love to get my hands on some Aero goatskin.

pauleway

Practically Family
Great mods Paul, I think it comes together really well. Intrigued by the russet goat, would love to see pics if you have any.

I always liked the G-1 and the Half Belt styles, so I just combined them and sent in my order. The Russet goatskin is a reddish brown(I have other jackets with Seal goat so I wanted a change) and when I put my re-order in, I changed the lining to the 3-Season cotton Berry-Brown Tartan. I always prefered the cargo pockets over the slash type ones. I am not very computer savvy, but I will try to talk either my brother or my daughter to help me to post some pics!

Edward

Bartender
I think it is awesome. After seeing how nice goatskin is with my G&B, I would love to get my hands on some Aero goatskin.

It is very nice indeed. My first Aero was (well.. still is...) an AN6552. Lovely hide - light but durable. When funds allow, I'd love to have a couple of different jackets run up in this hide for warmer wear than FQHH suits. Actually, I have a Wested Indy jacket that I bought mint-used last year, specifically as a "Summer" leather. I opted for the goat as a trade off with durability. Lamb would be wearable in higher temperatures than the goat, but I'd be too afraid of ripping it (a reflection on the softness of lamb generally and me being a clumsy oaf, not Wested quality). The Wested goat is a little thinner than the Aero, but also nice. Actually, IMO Aero's goat is one of their nicest hides: it's a shame that it (and the steer, for that matter) are overshadowed by the popularity of their wonderful horse. My only complaint about Aero's goat actually is that they tell me it's not available in black. A real shame, as I was actually going to forget horse and have my black 30s halfbelt (still in the, eh, fundraising stage) run up in goat rather than horse.

One thing about Aero's goat as opposed to horse: I know not whether this is due to the hide or the way it is tanned or both, but the goat will definitely stay looking "new" for longer. For all folks like their jackets to "break in", I find this can be a positive. My ELC A2, in horse, was bought used and really needs a little Picards are similar to the sleeves before I'd wear it out 'collar and tie' style, whereas my Aero goat A2, similar age, also bought used, looks much tidier (despite squadron patch), and I am much more inclined to wear it to the office with a shirt and tie than I would be the ELC.

Edward

Bartender
I always liked the G-1 and the Half Belt styles, so I just combined them and sent in my order. The Russet goatskin is a reddish brown(I have other jackets with Seal goat so I wanted a change) and when I put my re-order in, I changed the lining to the 3-Season cotton Berry-Brown Tartan. I always prefered the cargo pockets over the slash type ones. I am not very computer savvy, but I will try to talk either my brother or my daughter to help me to post some pics!

I know what you mean about a change - that's one reason I have my eye on a custom Aero in russett goat. Love the seal, but I already have two Aeros in seal goat, plus the Wested.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
This is all very interesting. I went back and researched the influences for this jacket. The pockets make sense now. They are growing on me as I explore military fashions, which, I must say, are somewhat new to me. I had a 613 One Star when I lived in New York City back in the early 90's. Prior to that, I had bought a leather jacket in the textile district of London. I was not happy with it. Too distressed. The fashion did not hold up over time, at least in my eyes. I bought it in 1987. It is vintage now. The sleeves unzip from it. If I can find it around my house, I will practically give it away. Still, I think some people might like it very much. I know a friend of mine in London at the time was quite jealous of it. These days, I'm also interested in functional motorcycle fashion that can double for street fashion.

The Selkirk jacket is very unique indeed. That's very cool that Aero's American dealer picked up your idea and ran with it.

HD

Edward

Bartender
This is all very interesting. I went back and researched the influences for this jacket. The pockets make sense now. They are growing on me as I explore military fashions, which, I must say, are somewhat new to me. I had a 613 One Star when I lived in New York City back in the early 90's. Prior to that, I had bought a leather jacket in the textile district of London. I was not happy with it. Too distressed. The fashion did not hold up over time, at least in my eyes. I bought it in 1987. It is vintage now. The sleeves unzip from it. If I can find it around my house, I will practically give it away. Still, I think some people might like it very much. I know a friend of mine in London at the time was quite jealous of it. These days, I'm also interested in functional motorcycle fashion that can double for street fashion.

The Selkirk jacket is very unique indeed. That's very cool that Aero's American dealer picked up your idea and ran with it.

HD

You'll probably find a market for that eighties jacket, you know. A lot of kids nowadays view the Eighties as vintage and really buy into the aesthetic. Half the vintage clothing shops in London are dominated by original eighties pieces. Always amuses me when I see my undergraduate kids come in wearing things I remember from the first time around.... and thought were a bad idea then. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21