Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero size, style and fit

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
Hello, i am new to the forum. After reading the forum for a while I found a lot of
members asking about fit and sizing and the difference between styles.
So I want to share my experience with some Aero leather jackets. Maybe someone will find it useful.

My height is 5’8” (173cm), 170lb (76kg). Lengths of my jackets are 25-25.5”, sleeves a short 23.5”

I am not a native English speaker but I hope you will understand me.

My first jacket was a black modified Route 66 Size 38 in FQHH (Chromexcel Heavy Front Quarter Horsehide). No breast pockets and clean sleeves without cuffs but two inside pockets with stud closure. You can see why Aero did not suggest inside pockets.

IMG_2581_zpsvbquz2z9.jpg

IMG_2576_zpsf0uhb5pw.jpg

IMG_2582_zpsg4xxohfz.jpg

Second jacket a Highwayman size 38 brown Chromexcel Heavy Front Quarter Horsehide. (Length 26”) When I got it , it was a lot to big. So I tried some stupid things and it worked out. I did some hot showering to the jacket twice, put it in a warm tumbler two times for 15 minutes. The result: some serious shrinking 0,5 inch in length and wide. The leather did fine and softer and I liked it a lot better. It is still a little bit to big but when I layer more than a shirt it is fine.

First pictures with only a t-shirt.

IMG_2569_zpsaxojxuxt.jpg

IMG_2571_zps0kb1vzq1.jpg

IMG_2585_zpsu5wrm8hk.jpg

With a pullover under the jacket.

Highwayman-38_zpsy84fywmn.jpg

Last edited:

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
Part 2

Third is a Café Racer in Seal Vicenza (medium weight full grain, vegetable tanned Italian horsehide) size 40. After two days I was caught in heavy rain on a bike, the jacket was wet and so was i. In contrast to the FQHH the Vicenza a did not like to much water. I put it near a very warm maybe hot heater and it shrinks a lot.

Before the rain.

DSCF3829_zpsktglnzmy.jpg

DSCF3820_zpsasv9w02d.jpg

DSCF3825_zpsbhzmsp3p.jpg

and after the rain and heater.

IMG_2559_zpscnqvttas.jpg

IMG_2560_zpsu8ergibo.jpg

CFZ_zpsjoxwvquy.jpg

Then I got a Highwayman size 36 with two breast pockets. A slimmer fitting compared to my size 38.

IMG_2592_zpsqqmhmdsm.jpg

IMG_2551_zpsd73kedqc.jpg

IMG_2593_zpsrvejmdyn.jpg

Last edited:

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
Part 3, The End?

Last but not least i choose a 1930 slim fit Half Belt size 40 in seal Vicenza. I put it in tumbler for 60 minutes. Setting the tumbler to cold and gentle helps breaking in the at arriving stiff jacket. The leather was a lot softer and more relaxed without any harm or shrinking.

IMG_2591_zpsfwczsek9.jpg

IMG_2558_zps06q8b6m5.jpg

HFUZ_zpsnkjda2xy.jpg

What I have learned: FQHH is a lot heavier than the Vicenza but the odour of the FQHH is nicer in my opinion.

FQHH can be used in heavy rain and get better after it. You can hot tumble FQHH for a short time and get some shrinking. Don’t try this with Vicenza.

I am not sure if I keep them all. I am already thinking about an A2, Dustbowl, Maxwell or black Highwayman maybe in size 36….

A tumbler set to gentle treatment and cold temperature can do fine to both leathers but beware it can seriously harm your jacket. So I did not recommend it. Different styles and different sizes can result in good fit. So don’t always size down 2 sizes. ;)

Last edited:

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
All nice fitting jackets ! With the Vincenza, it think it might have been the heater that did most of the shrinking.....even though its vegetable tanned, from what i know, the vincenza is not supposed to shrink or be negatively affected by the rain [huh]

btw, your english is perfectly fine ! :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
From my experience, water beads on the the Vincenza rather than soaks in. You must have got it hella wet.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
This is a nice idea for a thread, thanks for posting. I was just thinking the other day, couldn't we open a thread like "Post your Aero jackets here"? There's so much photo material scattered all over the outerwear section, in threads for just one jacket.
I'd find such a thread very handy. Being mostly a visitor and less of a poster in the outerwear section I don't want to butt in, though - just making a suggestion.

This is a nice idea for a thread, thanks for posting. I was just thinking the other day, couldn't we open a thread like "Post your Aero jackets here"? There's so much photo material scattered all over the outerwear section, in threads for just one jacket.
I'd find such a thread very handy. Being mostly a visitor and less of a poster in the outerwear section I don't want to butt in, though - just making a suggestion.

There has been, at least, a couple threads attempting that in the past, but they eventually fizzled out and buried by newer posts.
HD

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That was an exceptional presentation with better than average pictures - far better than mine. I really liked the fit and look of the Café Racer in Seal Vicenza until it was drowned and then dried with a heater. Good lesson regarding Vicenza being soaked and then dried with heat. :eeek: That size 36 HWM and 1930's slim fit HB look the business too. Very nice thread; thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
There has been, at least, a couple threads attempting that in the past, but they eventually fizzled out and buried by newer posts.
HD

Too bad. Understandable, though. We have enough stickies as it is, so I guess there's no chance of adding another one. But then, such a thread wouldn't have to be limited to Aero - it could include any utility leather and flight jackets, for example. Vintage and repro jackets in the styles of the 20s-50s, that sort of thing. Oh well.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
+1 on matching.

The day I realised this was the day I starting tucking my t-shirts into my trousers.

Last edited:

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I agree, it's important you learn the basic style rules before you start building your wardrobe.
Just get brown shoes and you should be good. And a black belt if you don't have one.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I know this isn't encouraging to say, but I must.

Your shoes should match your belt.

Black belt with black shoes.

Brown belt with brown shoes.

Leathers should match too.

Precious metals should also match (Gold with gold, silver with silver)

http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/menswear-faux-pas-mistakes/

I don't like fashion rules like those and find them limiting, fussy and dictatorial so I never match anything and I enjoy wearing brown and black together. I don't wear man jewellery so that's not a consideration. :D

Last edited:
I don't like fashion rules like those and find them limiting, fussy and dictatorial so I never match anything and I enjoy wearing brown and black together. I don't wear man jewellery so that's not a consideration. :D

Seconded. Also, being this fussy about the details with the style the OP is after would be very counterproductive.

Oh, right! Welcome to the forum, Insomnia! And...

...+1

I particularly like the first HWM after the wash treatment. The Route is great, too.

+2
"Rules" for clothing make me laugh - especially today. Almost everything I grew up being taught not to do it OK now. Be yourself - enjoy what you like. Until there's some major societal shift, pretty much an open book these days...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points