Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Type A-15 Mosquito Boots- Review

fishmeok

Vendor
I was lucky enough to win a pair of these off e-bay and just received them today.
They are Aero's version of the "mosquito boot" supposedly popular with pilots during WW2. I have never seen a picture of a period pair so these may be just a fantasy boot, but still damn cool for all that. Aero added a USAAF tag calling them type A-15 but that is probably just hyperbole on their part. From what I have gathered these were only made for a couple years in the late '90's and are very hard to find. These are similar to a pair of Willis & Geiger mosquito boots I used to own but of a much higher quality and better design.

The leather is horsehide (Which I did not know until I read the tag inside the box) in a deep russet color. They leather is smooth and soft, but the boots stand up just fine by themselves. They are fully lined with a very smooth kidskin-type leather with a suede patch behind the heel. The inside of the upper and lower straps are also lined with this kid leather. The soles are flat leather and stitched on with hard layered heels which have rubber as the bottom layer. Overall the boot sticth work is excellent and should hold up for years to come.

This pair is a UK 10 which equates to about a US 10-11. I tend to run a US 9.5E so a UK 10 fits me well with an thick insole , leaving the toes about 1/2 inch longer than normal. The boots are about 13 inches tall with a high vamp (oddly, the vamp on these looks closer to a real pair of RAF 36'rs than the version Aero currently sells).

These boots were bought by the original owner as a spare and never used, the only wear on the sole is from me trying them out them around the house tonight. They smell a little musty, but that will go away soon enough.

I am very pleased with these boots, if you ever find a pair, GRAB THEM!
Cheers
Mark

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

And in comparison to my other boots, really shows the russet color of the Aero's

IMG_1583.jpg

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Great boots . . .and the inner tag is the real prize

for the misuse of "reknowned" and "compliment" . . .What a keeper!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Great photos! There's a guy who really knows how to use his digital camera. (Better than I do, I will admit.)

Interesting style of boot. The base boot appears to be similar to a Wellington, but the V cut in front, the full-length pull-on strap in back, and the insetp and calf-area straps are all nice additional details.

All in all, those appear to be a really well-made pair of boots.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
These are exactly what I want. Too bad no one will ever make them again. Too dressy for cyclists, too understated for cowboys.

It doesn't pay to apply the Hegelian dialectic to clothing. You can have one extreme, you can have the opposite, but unless you go bespoke, you can almost never find a synthesis.

Hmph.[huh]

fishmeok

Vendor
Fletch said:
These are exactly what I want. Too bad no one will ever make them again. Too dressy for cyclists, too understated for cowboys.

It doesn't pay to apply the Hegelian dialectic to clothing. You can have one extreme, you can have the opposite, but unless you go bespoke, you can almost never find a synthesis.

Hmph.[huh]

I agree, that's why I was so geeked that I actually won the auction. I never bid at the last minute but figure out before hand how much I'm actually willing to pay then let the sniping service enter it. Usually I lose, but sometimes I get lucky and I almost always stay within my budget. The shipping on these was killer, but that's just where postal rates are these days [huh]

I sold my old industrial to a very nice gentleman from Texas who makes custom cowboy and Western boots. I've been thinking about talking to him to see how practical it would be to make a small run of these things. Just an idle thought at this point though.

These are excellent dress or flying boots, but as you said, not motorcycle boots- I need to get a pair like James' for my sidecar rig.

Cheers
Mark

H.Johnson

One Too Many
People who have a vague interest in related reproductions to actual items may wish to refer to Smithsonian Institute Reference A4860B which is labelled 'Prototype Mosquito Boot A-15'. The original use of the term Mosquito Boot was, of course, the tall suede boots used in North Africa. I'm not sure if there was any connection.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
People who have a vague interest in related reproductions to actual items may wish to refer to Smithsonian Institute Reference A4860B which is labelled 'Prototype Mosquito Boot A-15'.
How might one do so? Neither of those phrases hit on Google. Thanks.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Fletch,

I don't think the Smithsonian puts its material on-line. I don't blame it. Like me, it still lives in a world of paper...

fishmeok

Vendor
I went through the Smithsonian online collection and archives last night- no luck. What is in the reference? Is it a specification or photo?
Cheers
Mark

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Mark,

The SI number refers to the photograph. It is described as an intermediate weight leather boot with 'fleece lining' that was never developed beyond the prototype stage. I think it would therefor have had an Aero Medical Lab label rather than a contract label. The black and white photograph would appear to show a dark tone, although I wouldn't be able to say whether they were black or brown.

fishmeok

Vendor
Is it this pic? (Taken from Sweetings book 'Combat Flying Clothing'- thanks Mike)

boots.jpg
[/quote]

Too bad they never went into production, but I'm sure the electric inserts with the issued shearling boots are much warmer.

Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Vendor
Oops, obviously it is, just didn't look at the SI reference # before I posted. That's what you get for posting things in a hurry at work. :eusa_doh:
Cheers
Mark

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Bingo, and thanks!

Once I get tooled up with Obscurity Aviation Togs, my imaginary repro goods house, I'll make these suckers in tan AND black, with an optional sheep bootee liner (please order 1/2 size larger)! :D Reserve a pair now, no money down! lol

archbury918

One of the Regulars
To revive an old thread here.
I just acquired these A-15's from Aero Leather via eBay. I already own a pair of their excellent 1936 pattern from about 2004. These have the same outstanding construction. What makes them different from Mark's pair, they are shearling lined too!

Attachments

• 20210509_103257.jpg
    20210509_103257.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 298
  • 20210509_103318.jpg
    20210509_103318.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 160
  • 20210509_103340.jpg
    20210509_103340.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
  • 20210509_103353.jpg
    20210509_103353.jpg