Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero wool halfbelt V Himel bros wool Canuck

Aero or Himel?

• Aero green/brown

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Himel

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Gday guys,
Lately I've developed a hankering for the woolen half belt style. I'm torn between these two models. Both great companies with unquestionable quality. Both are quite different in their own rite. I'm interested in people's thoughts on these. I have no idea what shirt I would wear with the Canuk, I just think it looks fantastic. I would be happy with either, just wondering which one will be more versatile, there's not many reviews or fit pics etc on either of them.
As I said, any advice or opinions very welcome.
Cheers
image.jpg
image.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Not crazy about either as they appear here. The bottom one looks like someone tried to cut costs by using some wool fabric instead of leather - to my eye it doesn't quite make it as a leather jacket or a woolen one, even though the pattern has been done very well.

I think I prefer the first one as it is a woolen jacket with some leather trim for strength where it matters. Not keen on that colour and pattern however. And I think I prefer the slant pockets of the bottom one. I'd prefer it in a darker more subtle tweed or wool.

I almost always were black shirts or black t-shirts so the question what to wear under anything is never an issue.

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I'm on the other end of the spectrum, in that I rarely, if ever wear black. I think they are nice options to get away from leather, I too prefer the pockets on the Aero, much more functional.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I think the Aero has a more confident pattern, just too much leather for me.

I'd wear a half-belt in tweed if there were such a thing. As it is I wear a bit of Harris Tweed. But then I'm old.

Last edited:

Mark

Practically Family
First one. Either one requires some bottle to wear though.

Edward

Bartender
Somebody round here had an Aero halfbelt run up in the buffalo-check fabric they use to make the Waterfront, and it looked fantastic. Of those two, I think it depends what you want. The Himel is a really nice wool jacket with a bit of leather trim at points of wear, whereas the Aero is something with a different vibe altogether. Of the two I prefer the Aero, but both look great. There's also the other variation on the style where, instead of the Hercules type front, the leather stops across the chest with a straight yoke as on the Dustbowl. Myself, I'd love to see the Bootlegger given this treatment, perhaps Cordovan leather with that deep green wool....

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Not a great fan of either (but then mixed leather/wool jackets don't appeal, nor do leather/hair grizzly jackets).
If pushed, I'd go for the Canuck, but probably ask for the leather trim to be replaced.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I
Somebody round here had an Aero halfbelt run up in the buffalo-check fabric they use to make the Waterfront, and it looked fantastic. Of those two, I think it depends what you want. The Himel is a really nice wool jacket with a bit of leather trim at points of wear, whereas the Aero is something with a different vibe altogether. Of the two I prefer the Aero, but both look great. There's also the other variation on the style where, instead of the Hercules type front, the leather stops across the chest with a straight yoke as on the Dustbowl. Myself, I'd love to see the Bootlegger given this treatment, perhaps Cordovan leather with that deep green wool....

That would look sharp. I saw a pic of a 30s half belt in an emerald green Melton. Fantastic, would certainly take some bravado to pull off.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I'd definitely take the first one, Himel. And would have no problems wearing it. The lining colour is a bit of a bother, maybe. Otherwise great and simple to wear with what I wear every day.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I don't think woolen jackets need any leather trimming unless it's a Grizzly. But they need a lot of thought to get the design right and balanced. These two are OK but not to my taste.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If I recall, wdw has an Aero in black melton/cordovan leather, which I preferred as a combo. Worth asking him how much wear he gets out of it.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
If I recall, wdw has an Aero in black melton/cordovan leather, which I preferred as a combo. Worth asking him how much wear he gets out of it.

Yes, I googled it, and Lo and behold, it led me straight back here. Sent WDW a PM. He loves his, and has said he has just started getting a fair bit of use out of it. I like the green and brown. I'm actually surprised at the lack of love in the comments. I'm happy to hear people's opinions, just wasn't expecting the indifference. I think they look pretty sharp....then again, I took quite a few knocks to the head playing rugby and even more throwing morons out of pubs....perhaps my judgement is impaired...I'm also the guy that has ridden motorbikes for 20 years and still doesn't own a black leather jacket...;)

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Of the two I like the Aero, but in wool I like the Aero collared letterman more.

I actually had the Aero letterman in green with brown horse sleeves, no collar. It was my first Aero, a good Ebay pick up. Moved it on some time ago to fund another jacket. I've always liked the Melton wool, and the nice dark green is one of my fave colours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21