Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero zippers - NOS replacements available for norra lorra moolah...

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Good on them!!! It's cool they mention the problems with cotton zipper tape on heavy leather. We received an entire batch of J-106 Aero jackets in 3.0-3.5 ounce horsehide and, without fail, EVERY NOS Talon zipper with cotton tape failed and needed to be replaced, which was a total pain in the butt (luckily with Carrie here, we didn't have to ship back to Aero. However, Carrie had a lot on her hands that week!!!).

I have a J-106 with the fancy NOS Talon zips with cotton tape on the D-pocket, hand warmer pocket, and chest pocket. Since I don't use those pockets, it's no big deal. However, Talon zips with modern zipper tape was needed on the main zipper and sleeve gusset zippers. Believe it or not, the change to polyester zipper tape is a change for the better in terms of jacket durability and longevity! :)

Last edited:

normanf

One of the Regulars
Good on them!!! It's cool they mention the problems with cotton zipper tape on heavy leather. We received an entire batch of J-106 Aero jackets in 3.0-3.5 ounce horsehide and, without fail, EVERY NOS Talon zipper with cotton tape failed and needed to be replaced, which was a total pain in the butt (luckily with Carrie here, we didn't have to ship back to Aero. However, Carrie had a lot on her hands that week!!!).

I have a J-106 with the fancy NOS Talon zips with cotton tape on the D-pocket, hand warmer pocket, and chest pocket. Since I don't use those pockets, it's no big deal. However, Talon zips with modern zipper tape was needed on the main zipper and sleeve gusset zippers. Believe it or not, the change to polyester zipper tape is a change for the better in terms of jacket durability and longevity! :)

Japanese YKK zippers are long lasting. I've yet to see one rip or break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112