Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AeroFlightManFinc "Indian" A-2 41-11018P Review

fishmeok

Vendor
I posted this a while back on the VLJ list- if it's a little too in-depth jacket nerd (as my wife calls us) for the lounge please feel free to tell me...

This is a review of the Aero “Indian” made cowhide A-2, Russet color size 44. I bought this jacket used off e-bay with some horrendous hand-painted “art” on the back (but that’s another story). I was unaware of the Indian made Aero’s until after my purchase but I have not been disappointed. The contract number on the label is 42-11018P, AeroFlightManfinc. The jacket has the AAF insignia and an inspector’s stamp on the lining.

DSCN1315.jpg

The leather used on this jacket is very thick, twice the thickness of my Avirex A-2 and approaching what I have on my motorcycle jackets. It is buttery smooth however, and the russet shade is almost perfect to my untrained eye (see the pictures of the jacket outdoors for some true color shots). There are numerous imperfections in the hide, both front and back, which in my opinion add character. The leather has creased very naturally in the arms and some nice grain is popping out in and around the wrinkles. My jacket had a heavy smokers odor when I received it, but a run through the rinse cycle and some good airing out has taken care of that. The russet outer color has worn through in several places showing the lighter color underneath, again enhancing the character of the jacket. There is a nice “aged” effect, making the A-2 look older than it really is. In some of the other posts (on the VLJ list) Jerome has mentioned that the finish on the Indian made jackets tend to come off easily, even bleeding into other colors when the jacket has art painted and then clear coated. This is even worse on the seal versions. The finish on mine does come off fairly easily- I can scrub it off with a fingernail without too much effort. The "art" on the back of my jacket did not bleed through, but the finish did come off as I removed the "art".

Olive drab thread is used in this jacket, making an appealing contrast to the russet on the heavily sewn seams. There is no wear or pulling in the seams, and even some flexing and stretching while wearing it wet had no effect on their integrity (once again in contrast to my Avirex, which popped a few threads and tore the liner In the arms while attempting the same exercise). The stitches butt up against one another, and show some real-world irregularities in following a straight line, but nothing noticeable to the average Joe.

DSCN1324.jpg
DSCN1320.jpg

DSCN1319.jpg
DSCN1317.jpg

The pockets are square and well placed, with some nice scalloping of the pocket flap. The hardware and construction are rugged, with a leather reinforcing tab on the inside snap. The pockets measure 6” wide by 7” tall (including flap).

DSCN1283.jpg

The zipper pull on my jacket has been replaced with some sort of vintage or pseudo vintage Crown, but other than that it’s a generic zipper, reasonably sturdy, and it works well.

DSCN1321.jpg

There is no tag telling me what the liner is made out of, but it feels more “natural” and smoother than the liners on my other jackets and is well constructed with nice coloration. The collar snap heads are covered with liner fabric.

DSCN1318.jpg

Wool waist knits in a complementary brown shade are used, once again very well constructed and comfortable. The waist knit has completely lost its elasticity and will have to be replaced at some point. The waist knit seems shorter to me than on other Aero’s and A-2’s I’ve seen. Both the waist and cuff knits measure 2 1/4” long. They looked a little odd to me at first, but I’ve gotten used to it.

DSCN1322.jpg

The fit on this jacket is an interesting combination of modern size and Aero peculiarities. It fits as a modern size 44. I’m 6’ 190 lbs and the arm length and chest size are good (though I did do a little custom fitting when the jacket was wet). The waist is typical Aero high, with the knits ending 1/2” past my hipbone (heading south) with the jacket zipped up. To me this looks more authentic, but I’ve seen many period pictures with different A-2 waist lengths depending on who was wearing them. When seated the jacket sits perfectly at my waist, with the bottom edge of the leather body at about the level of my hipbones. I can comfortably reach up and to the opposite shoulder without the jacket rising excessively, running out of travel about when my hand is level with to the top of my shoulders (arm straight). The shoulder seams extend about 1” past my shoulder, and the epaulets exhibit the typical “Aero lift” in the front middle- they could probably stand to be about 1/2” shorter. The jacket drapes nicely, sitting comfortably on my shoulders with just a little tightness in the front. The jacket is big enough in the shoulders and body to fit a light sweater underneath, but not so big that I have unsightly “1988 Avirex Authentic Aged A-2” bagginess.

I am very impressed with this jacket. The fit and finish are excellent and I think it is a fantastic deal for the money. Even though this is from Aero’s “bargain” line, the quality and value are worlds above the A-2’s offered by other lower end makers (I own both a Cooper and an Avirex).
Cheers
Mark

DSCN1297.jpg

SGB

One of the Regulars
Aero Russet Cowhide A-2

This jacket is not one of Aero's jackets made in India. All the jackets Aero had made in India were goat, not cowhide. This particular jacket was made for Mark Moye (Aero U.S. rep) as a salesman's sample by the factory a few years ago.

SGB

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for that info SGB, and Fish for the interesting review. As a new owner of an 11018P in goat (presumably Indian made) I appreciate both.

Just one more Q for Fish: Might you possibly take a pic and/or measurement of an epaulet? You and I have the same size, 44, and yet your eps do not flap up nearly so far as mine. Mine are 8 1/2" long with about 5 1/2" of free play in between the box stitching. Fold your arms in front of yourself and you sprout handles, like some kind of human tote bag.

fishmeok

Vendor
SGB said:
This jacket is not one of Aero's jackets made in India. All the jackets Aero had made in India were goat, not cowhide. This particular jacket was made for Mark Moye (Aero U.S. rep) as a salesman's sample by the factory a few years ago.]

I didn't know that about the cowhide not being made in India- so this is a one-off then? Or is it part of a different production batch? Made in the UK? I suppose I should e-mail Mark Moye and find out.

Kind of makes my review a little off base then. And I was so proud of it too...lol
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Vendor
Fletch said:
Thanks for that info SGB, and Fish for the interesting review. As a new owner of an 11018P in goat (presumably Indian made) I appreciate both.

Just one more Q for Fish: Might you possibly take a pic and/or measurement of an epaulet? You and I have the same size, 44, and yet your eps do not flap up nearly so far as mine. Mine are 8 1/2" long with about 5 1/2" of free play in between the box stitching. Fold your arms in front of yourself and you sprout handles, like some kind of human tote bag.

Mine are almost as bad- but our jackets may be made to different patterns. Epalett length up the middle is 8" width tapers from 1.75" at the shoulders to 1.25" at the collar.
Cheers
Mark
Here's a halfway decent pic:
DSCN1308.jpg

SGB

One of the Regulars
fishmeok said:
SGB said:
This jacket is not one of Aero's jackets made in India. All the jackets Aero had made in India were goat, not cowhide. This particular jacket was made for Mark Moye (Aero U.S. rep) as a salesman's sample by the factory a few years ago.]

I didn't know that about the cowhide not being made in India- so this is a one-off then? Or is it part of a different production batch? Made in the UK? I suppose I should e-mail Mark Moye and find out.

Kind of makes my review a little off base then. And I was so proud of it too...lol
Cheers
Mark

It was a batch of aniline russet cowhide Aero was trying out, Mark had them make a jacket for him as a sample. Yes the jacket was made by the factory in Scotland. Aero also offered a russet cowhide A-2 over a year ago, I have one of those and it looks like yours. They are no longer available as the hides were used up.

SGB

fishmeok

Vendor
Awesome- Thanks for the info. My brother bought a new Aero from Mark Moye, had nothing but good things to say about him and the whole experience.
Can you post a pic of your jacket?
Cheers
Mark

SGB

One of the Regulars
fishmeok said:
Awesome- Thanks for the info. My brother bought a new Aero from Mark Moye, had nothing but good things to say about him and the whole experience.
Can you post a pic of your jacket?
Cheers
Mark

I'm not set up to post pics, no Photobucket etc.

SGB

PS, you might want to post this corrected info at VLJ, so they are aware of what your jacket really is, too.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
SGB said:
fishmeok said:
It was a batch of aniline russet cowhide Aero was trying out, Mark had them make a jacket for him as a sample. Yes the jacket was made by the factory in Scotland. Aero also offered a russet cowhide A-2 over a year ago, I have one of those and it looks like yours. They are no longer available as the hides were used up.

SGB
Just to confirm then - the Indian Goat jackets were not just of Indian hides, but fully assembled, finished, etc., in India?

Mountain Pilot

New in Town
92nd FS patch

I've got the same patch on my A2. My uncle flew P-39(400) and P-38s with the 81st Fighter Group in N. Africa, Sicily and Italy. The patch should be oriented though, with a contrast between the clouds and sky on a vertical line. With the Skull in the 1-2:00 position. The 81st FG was a tactical FG, so the lightening bolts will strike the enemy on the ground. Anyway, good looking jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay