Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero's detachable mouton collar

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
There are two buttons on the back of the collar, to which the mouton collar attachs, slipping over the first collar like a pillow sleeve. It's OK but not as good an attachment as if the collar is sewn on. Sir J

Edward

Bartender
I'm probably going to opt for one of these when eventually I can afford the black halfbelt I want. Not as good as having the mouton on there permanently if you want a mouton collared jacket, but IMO it makes for a more flexible jacket to have the option (would that I had the cash and could justify one with and one without instead! ;-) ). The mouton on my Aero AN6552 is lovely, but it does make for a jacket a shade warmer than one without it, and it's not ideal on wet days (soggy mouton next to skin is not especially pleasant!). Horses for courses, really.

mattp

One of the Regulars
I was disappointed to see that Aero is no longer offering this option, due to being unhappy with the design of it and working on a new method of attachment. Hopefully Ken comes up with something soon, if his previous efforts are anything to go by I'm sure the new design will be fantastic.
There seems to be a whole range of methods out there, I've been paying more attention since I decided to order a jacket with this option. I was looking at the Burberry method of a button attaching through a gap between the seam of the jacket lining at the neck and the lower inner collar yesterday, which seems pretty neat, as there's not extra paraphernalia on the jacket when the mouton is removed.
Anyway, time will tell...
Cheers,
Matt

Mark-D

New in Town
I really hope they will find a solution soon, as I would really like to order one with my jacket too. I think it is a very good option and makes a jacket more versatile.

The Burberry method sounds interesting and effective. Have you communicated this to Aero?

mattp

One of the Regulars
I really hope they will find a solution soon, as I would really like to order one with my jacket too. I think it is a very good option and makes a jacket more versatile.

The Burberry method sounds interesting and effective. Have you communicated this to Aero?

I haven't, as I thought it might be presumptuous. I know Holly has been a regular presence around here recently so hopefully if there's any good ideas posted here they might filter back.

majormajor

One Too Many
Aero have just had a bit of an upheaval, what with Will leaving, Ken returning, and a number of new staff being taken on. I think they are just going all out now to get as many jackets as they can ready for Christmas. Unless it is really urgent, I would talk to them in the New Year :D

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
For customers in the United States, we're now doing the fur collars in house at Insurrection. We source the genuine fur out of a great place in San Diego and fit them to the collar very nicely (you can't see it unless the collar is turned up). For half belts, we use a button-on fur collar and for "rocker" or off-center zip jackets, we're using a snap-on fur collar... Currently our colors are mid-brown, dark brown (almost black), and a synthetic white fur (the synthetic white is easy to clean).

www.insurrectionvintage.com

Edward

Bartender
I'll be keeping an eye on this. I'd like to have something along these lines when I order a jacket, and I have more faith in it being "better" if built around the jacket rather than as a standard otr item. Fair play to Aero for not wanting to sell something with which they are not 100% happy, though. I used to have a Schottalike A"/G1 hybrid which was clearly designed to wear with a detachable collar. The latter had long since gone when the jacket came into my possession, but it appeared to be attached by a cmbination of a button or two under the rear of the collar, and two snaps on the collar points. The collar point snaps were similar to those on an A2 collar, except instead of having a corresponding piece on the face of the jacket, the other half was (presumably) on the collar itself. These snaps were in the lower layer of the collar only, so, as with an A2, they were not visible on the top / with the collar folded down. It seemed like a good way of doing things to me, but I have no idea as to how effective it was in practice, given that I did not have the collar to try on it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Have to say, I cancelled my collar on the advice of Aero. If they come up with a more effective way of attaching the collar, I can always get it retro-fitted, so it's not a problem, and as it is I own loads of scarfs.

Edward

Bartender
Have to say, I cancelled my collar on the advice of Aero. If they come up with a more effective way of attaching the collar, I can always get it retro-fitted, so it's not a problem, and as it is I own loads of scarfs.

Unless they get it sorted, I'd probably do the same. TBH, I'm not sure how often I'd actually use it on a short leather jacket anyhow. Most of the time, I suspect, if it got cold enough that I'd notice the difference, I'd have switched into a heavier coat anyhow. The exception being that shearling lined Highwayman I have my eye on, one day - though that will have a permanent mouton anyhow....

Jules

New in Town

I bought a jacket with a removable collar and I have to say the collar is rubbish the construction and materials are amazing but I just cant get it to sit right . The problem is the collar is just not held securely enough so it rides up then sags then sticks out or bends in a weird shape and seems to have a mind of its own. I will probaby send it back and ask them to put on a permanent fur collar which is what i should have done in the first place but the heart wants what the heart wants and at the time it wanted a removable fur collar . I went and dug out the collar just now and gave it a try..... it just annoyed me all over again that i couldnt get it to sit right LOL but was still impressed with the thickness of the fur they used.

Im with Sloan1874 and gonna use the excuse of the lack of fur collar to buy a nice scarf.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It is surely the prefect excuse to order two jackets: one with, and one without, the collar. *phones bank manager to give him the bad news*

Jules

New in Town
It is surely the prefect excuse to order two jackets: one with, and one without, the collar. *phones bank manager to give him the bad news*

Hmmmmmmmmm I like that idea although ill have to wait for a little bit as I have a cordovan Stuart in the post to me right now so no more purchases for a little while....

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I had a very pleasant surprise involving a PPI claim today, so, theoretically... but that way madness lies. Still, there is the ongoing Irvin fund, and baby does need a new flying jacket. Or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112