Agnoulita Hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Perry Underwood, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Perry Underwood

Perry Underwood Familiar Face

Thank you for sharing your experience with Agnoulita Hats. You have a great looking hat! I believe the color is the same as mine. I chose light grey because it should go with many different colors of clothes. You wear the hat very, very well.

Welcome to the forum.

2. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

GREAT post and GREAT hat!

3. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Great review. When you get it right (yours is definitely “right”), I really like what Agnoulita is capable of putting out. Your classic color scheme and proportions should go well with just about everything. It’s a good looking hat and you wear it well. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. PanosChris

PanosChris One of the Regulars

Dear all,
    Many thanks for your kind comments and welcome wishes! I am already glad to be part of this community. Indeed I think that the color combinations and style make for a very versatile hat. Most probably it will get a lot of head time :)
    All the best,
    Panos

5. deadlyhandsome

I don’t recall seeing this hat last year. It’s his take on a duplex/dualist hat. Agnoulita is calling it The Alexander and it’s a Panama / toquilla straw top and a rabbit fur brim/lower. It’s $190 which strikes me as a good deal. I’m sure it’s not in the same league as a VS or Northwest etc., but it looks pretty good and lots of options with many felt and ribbon colors available.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  6. PanosChris

I am currently aiming to try some of the different finishes they offer. Deadlyhandsome I think you have tried most of them? I was wondering whether the velour you got is the single sided rabbit or the wild hare peachbloom? Regarding the beaver long hair one it's not silk finished (polished) right ? Btw has anyone heard from Mr P lately? Best, Panos

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  7. deadlyhandsome

I’m glad that Agnoulita is seeing some love. They are nice hats for the money.

I looked at the peachbloom, but Mr. P said they weren’t big enough for the hats I wanted (size 62, 6+ inch crowns, and 2 3/4+ inch brims). My velour is the single sided option and I’m not all that impressed.

My one long hair is evenly pounced with a decent hand, but it is not a silk finish. I really like the long hair, much more than the velour, and I appreciate that I was able to specify the amount of stiffener I wanted added.

For just normal hats, my favorite is the antelope/suede. It’s a great finish and makes a nice hat. The bodies are also limited in size so you can get a fedora in any reasonable dimensions, but not a western.

I haven’t heard from Mr. P in several months. He’s a busy guy and doesn’t always immediately answer emails, but he is genuinely kind and helpful. I respect him and recommend his hats as long as you accept they are made to a price.

PanosChris likes this.
  8. PanosChris

Thanks for the prompt response. I think your honest reviews contributed quite a lot to that. Definitely in my case at least. Suede seems the way to go and probably makes for a very versatile hat. What I haven't really understood is that the silk finished long hair in blue Mr P has on the listings seems much less fuzzy compared to yours. Is that just a visual effect or silk finish trims down some hair as well? Some input on that would be very much appreciated. And I totally agree about Mr P and his work.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  9. deadlyhandsome

Unfortunately, I only have one of his long hairs so I can’t compare them. I do know that compared to some of the Optimo finishes and my own experience with Borsalino Peluche hats, the Agnoulita “hairs” are longer and less dense as well as having a lower sheen. It is still a nice hat, and it was just what I was expecting which is as much as anyone can ask for.

Perry Underwood and PanosChris like this.
  10. PanosChris

Thanks. What you are describing is more or less my thoughts on how these compare to other similar offers. I guess optimo is using Fepsa (in pure beaver?). The biggest problem with Agnoulita is that they offer far too many options and too good to resist ;)

11. deadlyhandsome

I just saw that Agnoulita is now offering nutria hats! Additionally, he is no longer overlapping the ends of ribbon on brim bindings, and is now butting them together like they should be. I’m just about convinced to order another.

12. PanosChris

Yep
    Just placed an order for a marine suede in a Trevor hat like style. Very curious to see (read try) the nutria ones.

13. manicsubmersion

manicsubmersion New in Town

upload_2019-5-25_12-38-44.png

A new hat arrived today, quickly from Greece to New Mexico. This is Agnoulita's "Banjo" hat, rabbit fur, chocolate brown with a forest green 3/8" thin ribbon. The felt color is difficult to produce on screen. The ribbon is fairly close to actual on my monitor. Craftsmanship is excellent. I took it out of the box, snapped the brim down, and I have been wearing it all morning

14. manicsubmersion

Here is one more photo with me wearing the hat. The felt color is closer on this picture but you cannot see the ribbon work
    upload_2019-5-25_12-45-2.png

Yamahana, Scooterz, Tukwila and 5 others like this.
  15. deadlyhandsome

Any idea what he’s charging for his Nutria hats? I don’t see them offered in his Etsy store.

16. PanosChris

Not really, I also saw that he now offers hare bodies in suede and velour (maybe that's the peachbloom?) but not a clue about the nutria ones. BTW my rabbit suede has also just arrived and I love it . Not sure whether I should write a review since you have all ready multi covered the suede line?

17. deadlyhandsome

Please write a review! I’m very curious to read your impressions and to see if his build techniques have changed as he has said. Love to see photos of your hat too.

18. Scooterz

Scooterz A-List Customer

Has anyone had Agnoulita hats in a good rain? If so how did they hold up? Wondering if the rabbit holds up anything like Akubra's rabbit. Nutria sounds interesting.

PanosChris and deadlyhandsome like this.
  19. Scooterz

Scooterz A-List Customer

What are the dimensions of this hat?

20. manicsubmersion

I asked for a 5 inch crown and a 3 inch brim. Although I have not measured it, I think the hat is fairly close to those dimensions. My only real criticism or concern is that the felt body seems a bit thin. Someone asked about rain, the hat got a bit wet today, not a deluge, but it did not seem to damage the hat. Stitching of the hat band is very good. The ribbon work is simple but carefully done.

I asked about nutria hats. Here is his response:
    “It is correct, we do offer nutria felt in three colors; Navy, Dark Grey, and Black.

Please note, however, this material is currently available only in a double sided velour finish.”

PanosChris and deadlyhandsome like this.