Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HNC Hatworks (formerly known as Agnoulita Hats)

ptjoe

Familiar Face
Well, I placed my order with Agnoulita hats.
The hat I selected is the Optman in the beaver felt.
The felt color is dusty camel, sort of a beige color?. I originally selected the hatband in cinnamon and the brim binding to match the felt.
I sent several emails to see if I can change the hatband from cinnamon to match the felt and binding.
So far no response.
I don't know at this point if they honored my request.
I'm assuming no, otherwise I should have received an email acknowledging it.
We'll see?.
I'll let you know if I do.

The felt color is dusty camel, sort of a beige color?. I originally selected the hatband in cinnamon and the brim binding to match the felt.
I sent several emails to see if I can change the hatband from cinnamon to match the felt and binding.
So far no response.
We'll see?.
I gave up on Agnoulita as his service is so maddening. One day he can be prompt and so helpful and the next time he disappears for a few weeks and eventually returns the query after my 3-4 attempts.

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
In my humble opinion, think it's pretty hard to go wrong with Gannon Hat Company in Portland, OR (gannonhatcompany.com) Even though I've only purchased one; the response was immediate, any questions I had were clearly answered and of course the workmanship was exquisite.

ptjoe

Familiar Face
I gave up on Agnoulita as his service is so maddening. One day he can be prompt and so helpful and the next time he disappears for a few weeks and eventually returns the query after my 3-4 attempts.
You're right.
I ordered the hat through HNC-Hatworks.
Left several messages no response.
I left a message while on etsy, several days ago and received a quick response from Mr.Pappa.
Nothing after that!
Crazy way to do business.

You're right.
I ordered the hat through HNC-Hatworks.
Left several messages no response.
I left a message while on etsy, several days ago and received a quick response from Mr.Pappa.
Nothing after that!
Crazy way to do business.
He kept promising that it would get better, that he had hired an assistant and a new shipper but it didn't get any better. Recently he shut down his Etsy store in order to catch up. So I guess the good news is that he is very very busy.

ptjoe

Familiar Face
He kept promising that it would get better, that he had hired an assistant and a new shipper but it didn't get any better. Recently he shut down his Etsy store in order to catch up. So I guess the good news is that he is very very busy.
I hope like everything else it doesn't affect the quality of his work.
My luck, my first handmade hat will be a disappointment!

ptjoe

Familiar Face
I was originally going to buy a Stetson Premier Stratoliner for a great priceHats, $161.00 from Fashionable hats..
Got side tracked with Agnoulita hats, especially in beaver felt and the rest is history.
Right now just waiting to hear from Mr. Pappa.
Will probably get the hat first without the change I requested.
Oh well, Che Sara sara!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I hope like everything else it doesn't affect the quality of his work.
My luck, my first handmade hat will be a disappointment!
I hope not, ptjoe. He can be difficult to contact as various posts on this thread reveal. However, the vast majority of Agnoulita hat owners are more than happy with them.

I hope you will be, too.

ptjoe

Familiar Face
I hope not, ptjoe. He can be difficult to contact as various posts on this thread reveal. However, the vast majority of Agnoulita hat owners are more than happy with them.

I hope you will be, too

I hope you will be, too.
I hope so.
He may be overwhelmed right now!
All this business, LOL!!!

So far no response.
We'll see?.

I bought around a dozen hats from him. I’ve had some long and enjoyable phone calls with Mr. P. I’ve been invited to stay at his vacation home on an island in the Aegean Sea. I consider him a friend. And he still doesn’t answer my emails. He has taken months to respond and then only after the hat has been finished. It’s the oddest business model. In the end, I stopped ordering hats from him. I wish him him well, but his poor customer service was a dealbreaker for me.

ptjoe

Familiar Face
I bought around a dozen hats from him. I’ve had some long and enjoyable phone calls with Mr. P. I’ve been invited to stay at his vacation home on an island in the Aegean Sea. I consider him a friend. And he still doesn’t answer my emails. He has taken months to respond and then only after the hat has been finished. It’s the oddest business model. In the end, I stopped ordering hats from him. I wish him him well, but his poor customer service was a dealbreaker for me.
Sorry to hear that.
Like I said previously I ordered my hat and then requested a change in the hatband color.
Still never heard back.
So at this point I don't know what to expect.
If I get what I originally ordered that will be fine.
I hope I get a hat? LOL

ptjoe

Familiar Face
He makes a nice hat and I bet you’ll like it. My problem has always been his communication…or lack there of.
As a matter of fact, I just heard from Mr.P.
He said he'll send me a confirmation email tomorrow.
So be it, let's see what tomorrow brings.
That's a good sign anyway.
The saga continues.

Stormbringer

New in Town
I think that each maker should have their own thread.

I bought a Agnoulita several months ago. The communication was non-existent with all of my emails ignored. They acknowledged the emails when they sent the hat and offered a weak apology for not answering any of them. They came across flakey and I was starting to think it was a scam.

The hat I order d was their “homburg” which is actually a lords hat and not a homburg. The felt is very soft, a much nicer hand than D’aquino. The brim arrived a bit wonky but otherwise it survived it’s transatlantic journey. I did not think the color portrayed on their website or on Etsy matched what I received. On top of that, the dimensions were just too small for my liking. I’ve worn it twice so far and would sell it if I thought I could get anything for it. On the plus side: the sweat is very soft and supple, there aren’t any tolliker marks or other imperfections in the felt, and the liner is attached better than D’aquino (but it is still glued in), and the ribbon and bow are nicely done. In conclusion, the detail work is much better than D’aquino but the hat was still a bit of a disappointment. It’s also inching closer to a US rabbit fur felt custom in pricing.

I haven’t even considered trying another hat from Agnoulita. I think Akubra, Hat-Co Stetson, and others are better value for money.

I’ve also commissioned a fedora from Staker Hats in Utah. This will be my first rabbit custom from a US hatter. I can’t comment on the hat quality until I receive it but the responsiveness of the company is great.

5846399587d09d5d1442c43a803ce97d.jpg

e0114d63b29d8007bc8bb432407008a3.jpg

06878e5f12b3d4820636e0407eb21f0f.jpg

fdd283adaea6ac438781a9c2ae581b4e.jpg

If I liked the hat more I’d put in the effort to iron/steam out the brim waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree that each maker (and each major dealer) should have their own thread. Viewing what they choose to disply for us and relying on their descriptions it's dificult to decide where to gamble your next $200-$400. I'd much rather evaluate them by the input of those esteemed afficianados of the lounge who have gambled and won or lost and are gracious enough to share. I find that very few website photos acurately represent the color of the hats I recieve in the mail. I don't think it's anyone's fault rather a problem in translation between different browsers and the capabilities of different displays. Photos and descriptions in such forums could be invaluable.

ptjoe

Familiar Face
Well I heard from Mr. P after I canceled my order.
He was very gracious and said he added the hat I ordered to his collection, The Americo.
It's dusty camel felt with matching hatband and binding.
It looked so good I placed another order with him, crazy.
Again, the saga continues.

ptjoe

Familiar Face
Update: Canceled my order and never heard back from Mr.P.
Prior to canceling my order he said he will be getting some lighter colored beaver felts and send me some pictures.
This was over a week ago, never did.
Ordered the hat I originally wanted before getting side tracked with Agnoulit hats.
I got the Stetson Premier Stratoliner in silverbelly from Fashionable Hats.
Great price!
I ordered the hat Monday and got it Tursday, one day!
I'm happy with it and that ends my saga with Mr.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points