Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Air Show 2004 at Duxford was ACE..!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Had a fab time! Where else could you see a flight of 10 Spitfires all together in one air space! Beautiful Mustangs, two B-17s, two B24s (sounds like my Xmas list!), Corsairs, Cats...it was just a lovely 2 days out guys.

The great thing to see too, were the re-enactors who dressed up in RAF, USAAF, 506 PIR, Luftwaffe gear! There were groups and individuals who dressed up, and it's a great education for the young, as much as a tribute to the old. I spoke to a veteran who flew Mosquitoes. He once flew on a run to Berlin and back (from England) in 4 hours round trip. His C.O. didn't believe he could have been!! This guy who is in his 80's is heading off this week for a few weeks vacation in Canada!! amazing.

Anyway, enjoy the pics guys. I didn't overdo them, as you really cannot capture the sound of the Merlins or majesty of the aircraft throught a camera! (at least I can't!!). But they live in my memory.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mustangs over Duxford...

Duxford during WW2 took turns as an operational fighter base for the 8th USAAF and the RAF. If you ever have the chance to visit, then GO!

Here's a shot of some Mustangs lined up prior to flying later in the day.

BTW...the guys in the pic (see above) are from the web groups I belong to. I met guys from Holland, Germany, New Zealand and England who I have been corresponding with through Vintage Leather Jackets II.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Good show Paddy! I love to see the war birds! B-17?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, 24?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, 25?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s are right up there on my list for Christmas! I know what you mean bout the sound and feel of those aircraft! I live under a flight path and I see B-25?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s from time to time going from Chino Planes of Fame museum to the valley. I have seen the B-17G Nine ?¢‚Ǩ?ìO?¢‚Ǩ? Nine with the B-24 All American fly right over my house! It rattled the windows and I couldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have been happier.

Fighters are just as stunning as the big boys! P-40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s are one of my favorites. To me, they are the plane that comes to my mind first when WWII is mentioned. I think it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s the shark teeth that were painted on by the AVG in China that has that effect on me.

I have an Uncle that owns a plane of historical significance. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a Stearman trainer that was used by the Tuskegee airmen! It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s in completely flyable condition and he had it out to most of the big fly-ins. Now, his health isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t very good at all. So, a number of years ago he had to give up flying due to his illness. He was a Captain for United Air for many years and for Pan Am prior to their fall. A great man he is and a swell Uncle.

Cheers.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That sounds amazing about your Uncle.

What a great opportunity you have to still talk to your uncle about those days. If you haven't already, get your PPL and start flying that vintage baby of his. I would give my right arm (well slight exaggeration, not going to dismember myself!) to have a flight in the old stearman.

And if you can get some pics of him in it, I'd love to see them!

Cheers!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Planning operations...

Quite a few re-enactors at these gatherings, which is great for educating folk.

I am 'this' close to applying for a job at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, as they are currently looking for an Education Officer, to plan visits that work with the National Curriculum and also doing teacher training courses in 20th Century military aviation.

This looks like a great job, they want someone with a teaching qualification (moi!) and people skills (mmm, working on it!! lol) and an all round knowledge/ enthusiasm for those flying things! But it would mean my re-locating down south and the salary just isn't worth it! (£23k....no way!!).

Why is it that the great, interesting jobs just don't seem to pay out!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Paddy - Any chance you got photos of those 10 Spitfires? I was supposed to be there this summer, but my Uncle took a turn in health and we had to stay and look after him.

Of course, I was also supposed to be there this October for the final airshow of the year...but that too has not panned out.

Anyway, would love to see some pics of those Spits.

Mike

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Those pics are rad!

I wish i could have gone... I'd have been dressed as in civys of course since I havn't a uniform.

It is interesting to see Englishmen heavily into the American Uniforms. I know a couple guys over here that are into the GB uniforms of the war.

If I ever go over there, I'll have to wear a british uniform and talk with a Texas accent and you guys can do the American thing and talk with the GB accent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk