Akubra Campdraft

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Spatterdash, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Brando11

Brando11 A-List Customer

Great hat, great look and great shoes! I have an identical pair of Allen Edmonds that I bought over 20 years ago. I've been wearing them 3 or 4 times a week ever since, and they're still in great shape-

-Brando

2. Viktor

Viktor One of the Regulars

I thought Alden boots where expensive until I saw the price of Allen Edmond shoes, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used pair on the bay, these are very classy shoes.

Back on track with the post - I received my mid brown campdraft today and like most have experienced, it fits a tad larger but no problem with the sizing strips included. I for one thought about trimming the brim down to 2 1/2, prior to my purchase, well I was wrong I actually like the original factory cut on my noggin. The only regret is I should have ordered the Silverbelly Heritage instead (my future purchase down the road). For now I'll enjoy strutting around town with my new lid diamond crown style.

3. Terry "The Hat"

Terry "The Hat" Practically Family

Yes Brando, the Allen Edmonds make you feel "Impowered" while wearing them. I've never paid that kind of money for a pair of shoes before but when I saw these I just couldn't help myself. The guy that owns the suit shop is great to me and a very good salesman. I'm in there all the time so he treated me real good.

4. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

If you are around 23.5 inches buy a 61 which will shrink down perfectly from the experience of my FedIV.

5. tonydi

tonydi New in Town

Well, I emailed Jenny that I thought the 61 would be best, as that is the exact size I am, and since they run large this should be perfect when it shrinks. She actually measured them for me and said the 61s she had were true to size, but she had a 62 that was measuring 61.5, so I got that one. Hopefully that will shrink down to my perfect 61. Didnt mean to second guess all the great advice here, but since she gave me actual measurements, I was afraid to get a 61 that she said was right at 61! Jenny couldnt have been more helpful.
    Anyway, I'll let you know how it all shakes out.
    P.S. Lookin great Terry, so your father in law is Alan Alda?!

6. Harry Gooch

Harry Gooch One of the Regulars

very nice

7. danofarlington

danofarlington My Mail is Forwarded Here

Alden boots are good, I have a pair of shell cordovan from them. Very comfortable and sturdy. They're less expensive than Allen Edmunds? I haven't looked at prices for some time.

8. Looking forward to your results.
    I am a dead on 24" Long Oval which converts to 60.96cm if my math is correct.
    I have bought 3 Campdrafts brand new, a Glen Grey, a Mid-Brown & a Silverbelly. All at size 61, 2 from Everything Australian & 1 from Hats Direct.
    I did buy 1 used CD from Cookie that is a stretched 60 but fits just like the others. He told me it was stretched to a 61 & he was right by my head as a gauge.
    I have had 2 Squatters, 2 Fed4's, 1 Banjo Paterson, 1 Cattleman, all size 61. No issues with fitting my oblong noggin that a little wearing didn't fix.
    I will always order a size 61 in Akubra hats, regardless of the model.

9. tonydi

tonydi New in Town

Hey Tom, I was ready to order that 61 until she took actual measurments for me! I'm right at 61, but not LO. If Jennys measurment was correct at the 61's actually being 61, and it shrunk, I figured I might be fighting a to snug hat! Ayway, I'm sure hoping this "61.5" shrinks to a perfect 61 for me. Great, more bad nights sleeping! Let you know...

10. Seth Hawkins

Seth Hawkins One of the Regulars

New Campdraft Deluxe

Akubra Campdraft Heritage Grade in Silver Belly courtesy of The Hattery
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think my "sloppy" diamond bash technique is improving.
    [​IMG]

Liner
    [​IMG]

Custom sweat band
    [​IMG]

Noggin shot
    [​IMG]

11. Jantjeuh

Jantjeuh Familiar Face

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  12. Neither of your links are referencing a picture file. They both end with a "/" which is a folder designation. In most cases, they should end with a file name & extension like ".../picture.jpg"

13. Jantjeuh

Jantjeuh Familiar Face

I think i figured it out, try clicking the link, it should take you to the picture apparantly, let me know if it works :)

14. Right click on the picture & you can get the image URL
    [​IMG]

15. Jantjeuh

Jantjeuh Familiar Face

Thanks for that :) so, how do you like it!? :)

16. I like it a lot. It reminds me of this classic crease in a vintage Open Road...
    [​IMG]

17. tonydi

tonydi New in Town

I received my Imperial grade Campdraft on Tuesday, one week from the day Hats Direct shipped. Well Jenny was right on with her measurements, and I would say the hat fits just right, especially if it will shrink a bit as I've read. Its slightly loose. If I take the brim on each side and move it back and forth, it moves about 1/4". It really is a "small" 62 at 61.5. Anyway, it worked out for me to have her actually measure what she had in stock.
    So it fits right, but the problem is I dont really like it! The brim seems really wide, and the ribbon seems wide to me also. I want to like it, I like pictures of it, and I like how it looks on some of you other owners, but I dont think its going to work for me. If it was all scaled down, I really like the style. I have an Open Road on the way, and I'm really curious to see the difference. I think the brim is somewhat shorter. I'm trying to figure out what hat would more suit me in that style. Something like a Stylemaster with a thin ribbon? Stratoliner, Resistol San Antonio etc...?
    Anyway, thanks for all the fitting advice, that part worked out!

18. Jantjeuh

Jantjeuh Familiar Face

Hey Tony, I have the same. I love it, but I have the impression it is HUGE. However, when I look on pictures of the side view etc... it looks just fine. Only when I look directly at myself in the mirror does it look weird. I accept that it is just a weird way to look at yourself and leave it at that :p

If it really bothers you, you might wanne try to put a 'fatter' ribbon on it, it will make it appear less tall than it is I think.
    Pictire of the hat possible ? :)

19. tonydi

tonydi New in Town

Yes exactly!! From the side its not to bad, but from the front I feel like the flying nun! I think I would prefer it if the ribbon were not as wide, but I dont want to start cutting the brim and looking for a thinner ribbon. Also the color is really light tan, and not what I have in mind for silverbelly.
    I guess I'm not able to post pics yet.

20. T Rick

T Rick Practically Family

The Open Road is probably about the same brim width (does vary depending on vintage I'm told, but the classic dimension is the same as the Campdraft I think). If the crown height is an issue, it is an easy fix to use a bash that will "use up" more of the crown, making the finished height less (did so with my Bluegrass Green Camp Draft as opposed to my Campdraft Deluxe).

If the brim is just too big for you, you could sell the hat, or you could have the brim cut down. You might want to give yourself a chance to get used to it before taking any of these actions though, I know mine seemed huge on me at first, they are now my most worn hats.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011