Akubra Campdraft

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Spatterdash, Jan 18, 2008.

1. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

the ribbon on a Campdraft is too wide? Really? That's just about as thin as you can go.

2. T Rick

T Rick Practically Family

Well, it is just a wee bit wider than that of an Open Road.

3. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Huh, I had no idea. You learn something new everyday!

4. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken Familiar Face

It's odd how people's perceptions vary. I love the look of a Fedora on most other people, but it's hard to get used to the look on me, when I look in the mirror, because I have worn cowboy hats with 4 and 4.5 inch brims all of my life so even the Campdraft or Open Road seems small to me, but I am getting more used to them, as I like the smaller size for riding in cars, etc.

But I don't think I will ever buy a stingy brim, in anything, although I do have one converted cowboy hat, that never looks quite right to me, with the 2.75 brim, so I currently have it rolled up on the brim, like a small cowboy. I have considered cutting it down to a 2.5 inch but I don't know, I am afraid I would end up throwing it away, afterward.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  5. tonydi

tonydi New in Town

I'm sure I'll end up selling or maybe trading it, then to keep trying to like it. I dry bashed it about as low as I could with the dome of my head left with no room, but its more the wide brim that I dont care for. I have a Resistol that I think may be a Wide Country (unmarked inside) from pics I've seen here with a 2 3/8 brim and a narrower ribbon that suits me much more. The campdrafts brim is almost right at 3". The Open Road thats on its way has a 2 3/4 brim, and I hope a narrower ribbon. Its all subjective really, but fun to fool around with.

6. James71

James71 A-List Customer

Its really a matter of a persons size. Im 6'1 and 240lbs with very wide shoulders and anything with less than 60 or 70 mm of brim looks tiny on me. Campdrafts and squatters suit my dimensions. When my short skinny friend puts them on he looks like a mushroom. He is better with the stylemaster size hats or smaller.

7. danofarlington

danofarlington My Mail is Forwarded Here

You'll never be a hipster.

8. The CD brim is a good 2 7/8", lots of brim that takes getting used to if you didn't previously wear 3" Open Roads & other wide brims. The ribbon is over 1/2" wide where my thin ribbon from Art Fawcett is just under 1/2" wide, a true 4 ligne which is OR style....

9. Seth Hawkins

Seth Hawkins One of the Regulars

My first Camp Draft - a Bluegrass Green - came to me used with a low C crown, and I thought it looked funny on me.

10. Jantjeuh

Jantjeuh Familiar Face

This sounds strange, the cd has a crazy thin ribbon.. Any thinner and it would be invisible i think?

Haha, niceone about the flying nun :)

11. I just measured a 1950's Stratoliner & a 1980's Alessandria, both have ribbons of 3/8" wide.
    I re-measured 3 Campdrafts on my hat rack, this time making sure I did not catch the wind cord. All 3 are 1/2" wide.
    My conclusion, CD's are 6 ligne ribbon bands & the others are 4 ligne ribbon bands.
    So, yes the CD's could have thinner ribbons but look good to me like they are....

12. tonydi

tonydi New in Town

It doesnt seem to take much in either brim size, crown height or ribbon width to make a big difference to the eye of the beholder! Tom, would you say your Stratoliner is a "scaled down" CD?

13. Well yes, since a Strat is really a lightweight Open Road with a different brim flange to it. I have a late 1940's Stratoliner with a 2 3/4" brim that is the same dimensions of a same era Open Road. The felt is much lighter & the brim is cupped a great deal more due to the flange.

I guess since the Strat came out in the early 1940's & this configuration of the OR came out in the late 1940's that the Open Road/Campdraft is a "scaled up" Stratoliner....

14. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Sir, if you would not mind clarifying some vocabulary for me I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Hinge, flange and cup are troubling me when I pick up my hat and try to sort out the details.

Flange refers to the "natural snap" hinge point of the front brim? Cup is the design of the brim dimensions that make it curl upwards all around when not "snapped at the flange? I hope others can also be edified by my query. My engineering background is a disadvantage at times as I have been trained to qualify/quantify the fundamentals of a function (like a hat) before working the metrix of a design, like a hat.

Until now, I had not put it together that the Stratoliner and OR were brothers. Little brother and big brother, if you may.

Thanks, Eric -

15. A flange is the device used by the hatter/factory to shape the brim. This gives the brim a cupping effect depending on the curve of the flange used.
    http://www.millerhats.com/miller_fedora/fedora_flange.html
    What I was trying to convey is the Stratoliner brim is shaped with a more curved flange than an Open Road so the Strat brim has a more drastic cupping to the brim.
    You may need to contact 1 of our Lounge Hatters to get details to satisfy your engineering level questions.

16. tonydi

tonydi New in Town

Has anyone had a chance to examine the "new" Stetson Stratoliner. I was just looking at it at TheFedoraStore.com It doesnt come open crowned, but it looks good to me, and to be able to just order one in my larger size would be great. I would always rather have vintage, but Stratoliners seem rare, especially in a larger size.
    I fear I should have gotten one of these instead of the CD, but live and learn.

17. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

The new strat reaction is the reason the fedora fest III
    Is being made. :)
    The CD is based on the old style open road which is why it is so popular here.

18. T Rick

T Rick Practically Family

Well, here is the original thread on the new Stratoliner from Stetson. In it, you'll (eventually) find pics, as well as a discussion of why it's not like a vintage Stratoliner.

Here is a thread on a hat many here seem to consider to be what Stetson should have produced, and may in fact produce (remains to be seen). There are also eventually some pics of a couple of prototypes that were made for evaluation. We now wait with baited breath while the powers that be try to iron out the details and make it happen.

19. tonydi

tonydi New in Town

Thanks very much, sorry, didnt mean to get off the subject of Campdrafts. Man this site is a HUGE wealth of information!

20. tonydi

tonydi New in Town

Just read the entire original thread. WOW!! I feel like someone who hasnt heard of Watergate!