Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Capricorn Review

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
At long last, my Akubra Capricorn straw hat has arrived from Australia. Since there have been many inquiries about this hat on the Lounge, I thought I might add my $.02.

I ordered it from Everything Australian . I have ordered from them once before and have received good service. The order was placed on 1-22-09 and was received on 2-6-09. Not bad at all. The hats arrived packed well and safe (I ordered a total of 3 hats this time.....but only 1 Capricorn).

The Capricorn, as most of you know, is made of a synthetic "straw" called polypropylene. This is not the first had made from this material. The Riverz Delta and Joe Fedora, to name two, are made from a similar synthetic. I was in the market for a dress straw hat that would withstand a rain storm. I already have a Sunbody, which is awesome, but it is more of a casual rain-resistant straw hat. The Akubra Capricorn fits the niche just right.

I bought the Fawn color. It also comes in Copper, Green, and Gray. I've seen a photo of the Green on eBay, but it didn't appeal to me. It looked like something out of a St. Paddy's Day parade. The Copper looks good, but I decided on the Fawn.

The specs are as follows:

Brim Width -- 63mm (2.38 inches)
Height at the front (bashed) -- 108 mm (4.25 inches)

Here are some photos that I snapped during a slow time at work tonight:

AkCapFront.jpg

AkCapSide.jpg

AkCapBack.jpg

AkCapTop.jpg

AkCapInside.jpg

Here's some on my noggin'. The color of the hat is most accurate in these photos.

AkCapandMe1.jpg

AkCapandMe2.jpg

AkCapandMe3.jpg

Here's a close-up of the weave and band:

AkCapWeaveClose.jpg

Here's the only "flaw".....the clip shows, but the color blends in well and I doubt anyone will notice:

AkCapClipClose.jpg

Opinion:

Bottom line......I LOVE this hat.

Fit: The size is a perfect 57mm. The sweatband is a supple brown leather, very similar to my felt Akubras. The crown is high enough inside to allow the hat to sit correctly on my head without touching the top of the hat.

Looks:

The color is NOT a sand color.....it's more of a taupe/cafe-au-lait color. Beautiful and versatile. The look of the polypro "straw" is essentially identical to many of the Milan straw hats that I own. I doubt that anyone could tell that it wasn't a natural fiber by looking at it.....or even by examining it closely. (N.B. This is NOT true of some of the other polypro hats that I've seen.....they look and feel like plastic. The Akubra is a cut above any of the others.)

Feel: It feels just right. The straw feels like the stiff Milan...it's not flimsy and supple like a Panama. It's about the same weight as a Milan. Not an ultra-light Panama, but not heavy either. Some people have suspected that it might be hot in the summer. Well, it's winter now, but it doesn't seem to be a particularly warm hat, and it's ventilated well.

Summary:

This hat is a winner. It wears and looks great. It'll take the rain without losing it's shape.

I'll be ordering a Gray one when I finish this review. I'm also going to order a Cream-colored "Rink", which appears to be the same hat.

So.....that's about it. If you're looking for a nice straw that can withstand the weather, order the Akubra Capricorn with confidence.

--Randy--
(aka: HatDoc)

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Randy....Bravo!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I've been looking at those hats for a long time...and also searching for something that will hold up to Florida summers....this might be the right lid for that purpose!
It looks great on ya!...even with the scrubs!:D

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wow!...

That looks great! I'm glad you posted because I'd been thinking of getting one for summer wear, but couldn't find pictures as clear as yours.
How is the polypropolene as far as making your head hot? How does it compare to straw?
Thanks again for posting- neat hat!:)

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I'm thinking the same (as I said in the other thread), but I am curious what the other colors look like. Akubra sites are terrible about showing you pics of your options ...

carldelo

One Too Many
HatDoc said:
I'll be ordering a Gray one when I finish this review. I'm also going to order a Cream-colored "Rink", which appears to be the same hat.

Thanks for this link - I hadn't noticed this hat before - the Rink comes in sizes 62-64, unlike the Capricorn which stops at 61. The Capricorn comes in some pretty nice colors, gray looks nice.

citRon

A-List Customer
carldelo said:
Thanks for this link - I hadn't noticed this hat before - the Rink comes in sizes 62-64, unlike the Capricorn which stops at 61. The Capricorn comes in some pretty nice colors, gray looks nice.

I would love to see the 'Copper'.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Thank you for this thread! I haven't really looked to hard at this hat but its got my attention now. Thanks for posting pictures, too.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
citRon said:
I would love to see the 'Copper'.

Stay tuned, citRon......I just ordered a Gray and a Copper, as well as a Rink in Cream. I'll post photos of all 3 when they arrive in about 10 days or so.

Randy

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a super looking straw, Randy. I love the ribbon and the bound brim. Man, just when I think I have enough hats, another nice one pops up here. I'll be taking a look at these too....summer is getting closer.

By the way, do you know or does anyone else know what the cream/green under means or what the hat looks like?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Hat Doc, did the band come with the hat? I'm looking at it on Everything Australian, and there's no mention of a band color other than black.

And does anyone know if Capricorn can be special ordered in larger sizes?

And finally, does anyone know if there's a difference in crown height between the Capricorn and the Rink?

carldelo

One Too Many
skyvue said:
Hat Doc, did the band come with the hat? I'm looking at it on Everything Australian, and there's no mention of a band color other than black.

And does anyone know if Capricorn can be special ordered in larger sizes?

And finally, does anyone know if there's a difference in crown height between the Capricorn and the Rink?

I'd be interested in a Capricorn in a larger size also ---

carldelo

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
I'm looking for one with a wider brim but not 3" brim. The Zephyr looks to be about the right width but trying to find specs...

There's a decent detail photo here:

http://www.adelaidehatters.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=64

The brim is listed as 70mm (2-3/4). I like the bound brim, but not the turndown in the back. FWIW there is the Joe Fedora, a polypro hat with 2-3/4 brim that I like - no brim binding though. The Akubra hats look a little nicer, what with the brim binding and leather sweat. If the leather sweat sounds too hot, the Joe's sweat is coolmax.

Thanks Carldelo, I did find that site but none of the usual suspect. That size brim is exactly what I'm looking for, really like the ribbon size & the bond edge. Price is not bad either. Shipping is $20...

carldelo

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
Thanks Carldelo, I did find that site but none of the usual suspect. That size brim is exactly what I'm looking for, really like the ribbon size & the bond edge. Price is not bad either....

Isn't that a leather band, not a ribbon in the detail view?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112