1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Akubra Fed IV

Discussion in 'Hats' started by scottslatton, Mar 14, 2019.

1. scottslatton

scottslatton New in Town

The brim on my Fed IV Hertiage will not hold a shape. It has no snap to it. I have a bottle of hat stiffener spray and have put three light applications on, but still not getting the desired stiffness or snap into the hat...suggestions????

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I have three Fed IVs--two standard/Imperial Grade and one deluxe/Heritage--and none of their brims snap up and down because the flange is too shallow to put any tension on the felt. I use distilled water rather than steam to shape my hats, so I just sprayed the brims, shaped them as I wanted, and let them dry; they've all held their new brim shapes quite well for years. The Heritage took four or five applications before it held the shape I wanted, but it finally gave in.

Someone with more experience might have a better suggestion, but this worked for me.

3. belfastboy

belfastboy Call Me a Cab

Not sure if this is an accepted way to do it (other than in my world) but I do the same, spray/steam and then with the brim held on the ironing board by a weight (iron) I let the hat itself hang outboard. The more the hat hangs outboard the more weight and the greater bend to the brim. Once I have settled on the desired amount of bend I let it sit overnight and it dries in the desired state. If I get too much bend I just start from scratch and repeat with less hat overhanging the ironing board. I store in a hatbox upside down and the brim stays in the desired state.

scottslatton, Dm101, RJR and 2 others like this.