Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Fed versus Fed Deluxe?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
With the prices being right at this time I am seriously considering ordering a Federation. I prefer the Tawny fawn color of the regular fed but have always thought the deluxe was supposed to be soo much better.

My question is, Is the felt and quality of the deluxe that much better that I should get it over the regular fed?

Here is the Tawny Fawn regular,
fed4-tawnyfawn-large.jpg

And the heritage Fawn deluxe,

fed4del-heritagefawn-large.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't have a regular Fed IV, but I did have a Stylemaster which was imperial quality as is the regular Fed IV and I do have a heritage fawn Fed Deluxe IV. There is a difference in the felt and the sweat. The Fed would be a nice hat I'm sure, but the Fed Deluxe is nicer.

By the way, last night I ordered another Fed Deluxe IV in moonstone. I have been wanting one, and the price is right now.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Well this is a great question...I'm probably going to get a Fed Dlx in brown as I don't have an "Indy" hat...and ya can't beat the price...Though I really like the fawn colors also...so maybe a regular fawn should be ordered as well...Or...a Camp Draft in fawn...[huh] This is a tough one...:D
I guess until I get a heritage felt in my hands, I won't know what the difference feels like or quality for that matter. I've got 4 Akubra's now...and though all are imperial felt, each is completely different from the other.

MattJH

One Too Many
duggap said:
What is the brim size on the two Federations[huh]

The Akubra Federation III, which is no longer available, had a crown height of 6" and a 2 7/8" x 2 3/4" dimensional brim.

The Akubra Federation IV, which is currently available, has a crown height of 5.5" and a 2 3/4" x 2 1/2" dimensional brim.

I owned an Akubra Federation III Standard in Carbon Grey (but sold it to somebody here) and currently own an Akubra Federation III Deluxe in Loden (and am considering selling it right now - it's a 61cm or 7 5/8). The difference in the felt and the leather sweatband is significant between the Standard and the Deluxe. The Deluxe is far superior. I wouldn't even get a Standard, honestly. If you can afford the lesser already, then you can afford the better, too. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the Standard, I just feel like the increase in quality to the Deluxe matched with the monetary increase is completely worth it and comparatively insignificant.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
DJ...that must be an amazing difference between the two felts. I can't wait to get a Dlx now. I really wish they would offer a Camp Draft in a deluxe model.

Naphtali

Practically Family
I owned a Federation. Wore it a few times then disposed of it. Shape and configuration were what I wanted. Compared with my older Borsalinos, it was like wearing the box -- inflexible, non-conforming to the head. The hat was more nearly akin to a western hat with its overall stiffness.

If the Federation Deluxe's denser felt translates to more flexible felt, it will be a wonderful hat. If not, not.

Naphtali

Practically Family
kabuto said:
Haha. Wearing a box. It looks a bit like a box on the heads of some of those COW members. You need a bit of a jaw for the look to work.

But if you only wore it a few times, you never gave it a chance to break in. My Camp Draft is really softening up after several months of frequent wear.
Point taken. I had been spoiled by my Borsalinos.

Edward

Bartender
Agreed. My Federation IIIs (Deluxe in brown, reg in Carbon Grey) have both softened noticeably with wear over time, though without this compromising the felt's ability to hold its shape. FWIW, the thicker felt of the Deluxe felt much stiffer to begin with, the regular being softer and easier to shape from the outset. Over time, though, I think the Deluxe is aging towards being a touch softer. In my experience the difference between the two is less perceptible than has been suggested above, but I should expect that as with any organic material there is a variation between individual examples. Let's put it this way: I would probably consider the Deluxe worth paying the extra for, but at the same time I would'nt hesitate to buy a regular if that was the only version the colour I preferred was available on. My next Federation, my first Mk IV, will be a Moonstone Deluxe. I'm a little disappointed that they have sized down the hat in certain respects, but I am anticipating that without lookig at the side by side the differences are so negligable as to be unnoticeable.

jpbales

Practically Family
bigger dimensions?

I'm fairly new to the hat scene and I have a standard Fed IV. If I think it's a big hat now, I can't imagine it having even bigger dimensions! Certainly not everyone can pull off such a big fedora. I tell ya, when i first saw the Fed IV, it just looked like a mammoth to me! lol

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
I have a Brown Fed IV Deluxe and and Moonstone standard Fed IV and I dont really see any difference. They are both "stiff" as compared to some other hats. (like the VS's or Optimos in my collection). I like this as they hold their shape very well. They are not the type of hat that you change the crease depending on your mood that day. The deluxe's felt looks a bit thinner and it does have a better sweat but not night and day better than the standard. Also the ribbon is supposed to be better but I can not notice any real difference. IMHO they are both good hats and at that price you cant go wrong with either. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana