Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Hat Band Removal

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Yeah, chainsaw

A double-bit ax works great, but you gotta keep it sharp.

Shave with it first, to check it!lol

Seriously, the x-acto works well, or steal your wife's tiniest scissors — just don't let her catch you doing it!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Riot Earp said:
Thanks. I am a little worried about slicing the felt. Perhaps I should use a scalpel. :D

Any blade that lands in my pocket can hold pace with a scalpel any day.

Akubras tend to be on the fuzzy side. I don't think a little shave would hurt. ;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seam ripper's probably the best, followed by the cuticle scissors - you can use either to pull the hatband slightly up from the felt to be sure you're cutting the thread. RE: Scalpel or Xacto knife - the sharper the implement, the more likely you may cut into the felt without realizing it.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
cuticle!!!!

Yeah, cuticle scissors is what you steal from your wife's kit to work on hats. They are great for snipping tiny threads and getting close to trim those loose pieces!:eusa_clap

Just don't get caught.

Ditto with the tweezers.:rage:

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
filfoster said:
Now, why, again, exactly, are we removing the band?

I plan to replace the band on my chocolate Akubra Lawson with a twisted rawhide band for a Western look. I had that combination -- twisted rawhide against chocolate -- on another hat and loved it.

carldelo

One Too Many
indycop said:
I use a seam ripper. It hooks right under the thread and doesn't risk cutting the felt or ribbon.

Yep, a $1 seam ripper will prevent a ton of mistakes - they're good for removing those annoying plastic price tag thingies, opening pockets on new jackets, taking the label off a jacket sleeve, etc. It's surprising how often I use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider