Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Hatsquad

New in Town
Randal said:
I came home from work this afternoon and there it was! My Dark Brown Fed IV std was on the porch. I ordered it on Feb 21st and it's already here! I'll post pics when I get done playin with it ;) Can anyone tell me the best way to get the brim to cup up in the back like a snap brim?

Randal..........my Fed IV Deluxe arrived a few weeks ago with a perfect turn-up flange all around the brim. All I had to do was bash the crown and flip down the front of the brim, and the back of the brim had a great flange dip to it.

Regards, Gerry

pauljmuk

New in Town
Colby Jack said:

Thanks Colby - but I never really know what to make of those shop pictures. I find the Akubra website pics very good, but don't see a Jackaroo. Either way, I'd love to see a picture on someone's noggin!

Oh, and re the post below - yeah - I can't really work out price difference, presumably the lining?

She also keen on a Tablelands, so ditto any pictures of people wearing those (Sorrell Tan in particular)

Loving my Cattleman, been firmly on head all day - need to give it some sweat as it's a touch loose.

Cheers all.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
pauljmuk said:
it's a cattleman in fawn and it looks and feels superb! ...

Oh, please post pics! I'm ordering a Cattleman, thanks to Doctor Strange, in sand next month for my warm weather work hat.

Some pics would really help me cope until mine arrives :p.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Has anybody else ever encountered a growing federation? My fed seems too be too big now.[huh] I had to lower the crown so that it would not fall below my ears. Not the normal big then shrink, it is larger than when I first got it!:eusa_doh:

CRH

Call Me a Cab
You're in luck!

indycop said:
Has anybody else ever encountered a growing federation? My fed seems too be too big now.[huh] I had to lower the crown so that it would not fall below my ears. Not the normal big then shrink, it is larger than when I first got it!:eusa_doh:

I don't have a Fed but I think this guy may have a solution to your problem. In the brochure he mentions Cranial Stretching and about how you can have it now or later - then some mumbo jumbo about how there is always a wait and how we are all waiting or something.......

ahellraiser.jpg

...Anyway I wrote him and asked him if he was into hats and he said that he wasn't into hats because..........drum roll please.......

"THEY ALLWAYS SEEM TO DEVELOPE LEAKS."

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Daoud said:
I hate to sound ignorant, but in this instance I am.......what currency, exactly, are those prices in?

Australia's pre-decimal currency was pounds shillings and pence similar to the UK.

1AUD = 10 shillings when decimal was instituted on February 14 1966.

To give you an idea in the 1950s a made to measure suit could be bought for 5 pounds. Working people earned about 5 pounds a week in 1955. But working people on basic wage generally did not pay any income tax due to that factor.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:

That detective promotion obviously requires less cerebellum...:D :D :D ;)

Daoud

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
Australia's pre-decimal currency was pounds shillings and pence similar to the UK.

1AUD = 10 shillings when decimal was instituted on February 14 1966.

To give you an idea in the 1950s a made to measure suit could be bought for 5 pounds. Working people earned about 5 pounds a week in 1955. But working people on basic wage generally did not pay any income tax due to that factor.[/QUOTE

Ok- so in that catalogue, when the price reads "65-" or "75-" we can safely assume that is shillings, not pounds......I was thinking that hats were VERY expensive back then!:D

Homburglar

New in Town
Hatsquad said:
Randal..........my Fed IV Deluxe arrived a few weeks ago with a perfect turn-up flange all around the brim. All I had to do was bash the crown and flip down the front of the brim, and the back of the brim had a great flange dip to it.

Regards, Gerry

That's odd, my Fed IV arrived similar to Randal's I think, with almost a completely flat brim. Does anyone know if Hatsdirect uses various blocks/flanges for the Fed?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
My new Capricorn!

Despite the 76 degree temperature today, it is not quite time for summer hats. When that time comes, though, I will be ready in my new Capricorn. When I opened the box the brim looked very narrow, and I thought, "Uh-oh!" But actually I think it's just right. My only complaint is the ribbon, which is.....ahhhhh.....UGLY, to be blunt- a chocolate brown with a subtle green thread on top and bottom. Does anyone know of someplace where I could get a replacement band with perhaps more than a hint of color about it? A hat like this HAS to have some color in the ribbon!
th_Capricorn008.jpg

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Homburglar said:
That's odd, my Fed IV arrived similar to Randal's I think, with almost a completely flat brim. Does anyone know if Hatsdirect uses various blocks/flanges for the Fed?
My Fed IV Deluxe arrived in the shape described by Hatsquad:

fedora.jpg

I did not take a picture, but my father-in-law's Fed IV regular also had a similar upturned brim.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Homburglar said:

Mine did as well and it took some work to get an upturn in the back, but I did and like its look fine. My Camp Draft came with much more upturn all around. [huh]

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
Mine did as well and it took some work to get an upturn in the back, but I did and like its look fine. My Camp Draft came with much more upturn all around. [huh]

How did you achieve that upturn, Paladin? I asked this in another thread and got an answer or two, but I'd be interested in hearing what worked for you.

My Stylemasters both came a bit flatter in the brim than I like.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
New Fed IV w/ upturn

Wolfwood said:
My Fed IV Deluxe arrived in the shape described by Hatsquad:

fedora.jpg

I did not take a picture, but my father-in-law's Fed IV regular also had a similar upturned brim.
My Fed IV standard arrived yesterday with the same brim, Wolfwood. I haven't worked on it yet, but clearly have a job ahead of me.

My standard Fed IV also arrived with a Deluxe sweatband, which was a nice bonus...anyone else have that happen? Is that common?

Also, I ordered the Tawny Fawn, which I imagined would be much blonder/more tan than it is--a bit of a bummer. Does Akubra publish a print catalog that they'll ship to the states? Photos on the monitor don't always/often provide a true sense of the color in real life, I'm discovering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran