Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

swd

New in Town
All my Akubras are the same size. However, when I receive them I have to do some shape-shifting to accommodate my long oval skull. Once that is done, they don't change, either by shrinking or by morphing back to their original rounder shape. I don't know if that is because of the additional time I spend shaping them, or if they weren't going to shrink or shift anyway. I really have not noticed any slight variance in the size, but I probably wouldn't anyway, since I shape it before I try to wear it for any length of time. In any case, I think these hats are worth the extra time it takes me to tweak them to my head shape.

I just received my CD in Bluegrass Green from EA. It was shipped last Monday out of Aus and I received it today in Vancouver, Canada. This was the regular shipping. I did not pay the extra for the expedited service. 7 days total across the pond, amazing. The hat is great. A similar colour to my Akubra Madison from 15 years ago. A great neutral colour that will go with most jackets. I am usually a 59 and usually the Akubras in that size are perfect. I picked up a Sydney after Christmas on sale and bought a size 60 as the 59 were sold out. With a spacer it fits fine. This new size 59 CD fit more like a 60 and seems to be more rounded. I likely will need a spacer but it is minor. Great hat at a phenomenal price and phenomenal delivery. I may bite the bullet and order another colour and wait the 3 months. Thank you, Sam for such great service.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I just received my CD in Bluegrass Green from EA. It was shipped last Monday out of Aus and I received it today in Vancouver, Canada. This was the regular shipping. I did not pay the extra for the expedited service. 7 days total across the pond, amazing. The hat is great. A similar colour to my Akubra Madison from 15 years ago. A great neutral colour that will go with most jackets. I am usually a 59 and usually the Akubras in that size are perfect. I picked up a Sydney after Christmas on sale and bought a size 60 as the 59 were sold out. With a spacer it fits fine. This new size 59 CD fit more like a 60 and seems to be more rounded. I likely will need a spacer but it is minor. Great hat at a phenomenal price and phenomenal delivery. I may bite the bullet and order another colour and wait the 3 months. Thank you, Sam for such great service.

Nice to hear you are enjoying your AK CD. I got my first last week and I love it. My 2nd CD in BG should b here this wk as it was shipped xpress this past Thur. To shrink the head band I invert it and swab the interior side with water till its saturated and let it dry inverted naturally. It can bring it down a size very easily. If not, try it a 2nd time. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
What are the differences between the David Morgan Akubra Advernturers versus the ones directly from Australia?
Other than the bound brim edge of the CD is there much to separate the Adventurer from the CD?

What are the differences between the David Morgan Akubra Advernturers versus the ones directly from Australia?
Other than the bound brim edge of the CD is there much to separate the Adventurer from the CD?
The crown dimensions are roughly the same on both hats and have little or no taper. The main differences are:

The ribbon: The Adventurer has a 1-1/2" ribbon, while the Campdraft has a narrower 1/2" ribbon
Brim dimensions: The Adventurer has a dimensional-cut brim that is 3-1/8" front and back, and 2-3/4" on the sides, while the Campdraft has a consistent brim width of 2-7/8"

If there are any differences between the David Morgan Adventurer and those that come from Australian vendors, someone else will have to advise you.

milliedog

Familiar Face
Thank you, Yes, it may be just the differing colour offerings. The price diff is substantial and worth the 3 month wait to get it from EA,

It is more than the different colorways. The DM Adventurer is sold open crown and has a much wider brim and taller crown. The felt used in the DM version is standard Imperial. The Australian market one uses a softer felt, kind of like the Fedora model. How you see the Adventurer pictured at EA is how it will come to you , precreased. Sam may be able to order it open crown for you if that is what you want, he has done that for the Squatter model in the past.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Jim Flynn, the time you spent with your hot tea, your hot kettle and your new Fed IV was time well spent! You did a great job sir, your hat crease looks really good and the finished work of your hands looks great on you. You wear it well! Welcome to the Lounge, glad to have you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner