Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AKUBRA SOMBRERO PICTURES PLEASE

Akubra

Familiar Face
Elvisroe kindly posted a picture of his character heavy Akubra Sombrero for me to see. :eusa_clap

If anyone else owns one of these hats would you please post some pictures of it???

I think an Akubra Sombrero is going to be my next hat. I am already thinking how I am going to steam and bash it into shape.

Thank You all in advance;) :D

Akubra

Familiar Face
I am not sure. I might go with a semi teardrop crown to start off with and then see if I can bring the front of the crown down a little (a la Bush Tucker Man)

It is going to be my first experiment in realy re shaping a hat. All my other hats "evolved" into the shape (or lack there of) as a result of wear and tear and trying to put right abuse.

ONCE AGAIN ALL...ANY PICTURES WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

DMc

New in Town
Akubra Sombrero

hiddins01.jpg

The Bush Tucker Man - Major Les Hiddins - revived the popularity of the Akubra Sombrero when he wore his version featuring the "bush tucker man bash" on his TV series. A particularly tricky crown crease to copy, although Strand Hatters do it well.

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
the bush tucker man's bash is quite unique. Anybody know if he came up with it or was it a very obscure style that he decided on?

sidney7

New in Town
sombrero pics please

G'Day Akubra,:)

Heres my sombrero shaped similar to Major Les's bush tucker man hat.
I've had it since the mid 90's, its the best bush hat Ive ever had!
It got shaped after a good watersoak, . . . . lost the nice plaited hatband out bush a while back.
Cheers mate
sid.
BTM640x480.jpg

sidney7

New in Town
G'Day :)

Yes, the old 'lemon squeezer' is getting on a bit now.

Regarding the bash style here is what BTM said in an interview . . . .

" Yeah! It's a bit like Hoss Cartwright's when you get it out of the box. And the shape actually goes way back, it goes back to the Kidman era. Sir Sidney Kidman. If you get back into the archives you can see that the ringers and the drovers back in that era used to shape their hats very similar to this."
http://www.abc.net.au/talkingheads/txt/s2078574.htm

Something do do with lessening wind resistance and keeping the bugger from blowing off your scone whilst mustering cattle at full gallop!

Cheers
sid

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking of getting an Akubra sombrero and doing a Bush Tucker man crease (I just love that hat for some reason). Every website I've seen it on lists fawn as the only color offered. The picture shown on some sites show a mid tan color while other sites show it as a darker green color. I believe EA shows the tan color as well but they all say "fawn". Anyone have one from EA and would be able to help me understand what color the hat actually is? I really only want it if it's the tan color since the darker green is nowhere close to the color of the original Major Les Hiddin's hat.
Thanks.

davidd

New in Town
I purchased Akubra Sombreros from both Hats Direct and Everything Australian in June 2012. Both were the same color -- a dark greenish-grey brown (depending on the lighting) with a black & white striped fuzzy calfskin band.

I requested an open-crown hat when I ordered. Here's what the hat looked like when I received it:

sombrero1.jpg

I ironed the curled brim edge flat, shaped the crown into more of a "safari" (or Secret of the Incas) bash, and replaced the calfskin band with a ribbon.

sombrero5.jpg

sombrero7.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ