Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Stylemaster

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I mentioned in another thread that I check Everything Australian every day for prices on the Stylemaster, because they change every day (exchange rate). As of today, September 18, 2008, they are at the lowest I've seen them. ~$71, plus shipping. I have no affiliation with Everything Australian, just thought some of y'all might like to know.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
They've got the Campdraft and CEO for that price too, along with plenty of Akubra country hats.

You're right, this is the lowest price I've seen on Akburas in a while (I paid just a few dollars less for my Stockman and Cattleman, but that well over a year ago).

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Don't Campdrafts come with an open crown? I've been thinking of buying one to bash as a fedora. Trouble is, I've never bashed a hat and I'm not sure how difficult the task would be. Is it something a novice should even attempt?

AF

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Atticus,
the first real hats I ordered were open crown akubras... You shouldn't have any trouble. Literally I am saying "if I could do it anyone can".

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
HamletJSD said:
Atticus,
the first real hats I ordered were open crown akubras... You shouldn't have any trouble. Literally I am saying "if I could do it anyone can".

Thanks! I think I'll give it a try. Evidently, there is a three-month wait on size 61 Campdrafts. Oh well, I'll order it now and let it be a Christmas gift to myself.

AF

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Well, I did it. I ordered myself a Stylemaster in mid-brown. It's my first fur felt fedora. The website says there's a 3-month wait, so I guess it's my Christmas gift to myself. Let's hope it fits.

Atticus, Campdrafts do come with open crowns. A search through the fora on "Campdraft" should turn up one thread with pictures of a gorgeous campdraft owned by (IIRC) toobacat.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm on the Dreaded Akubra Wait myself, for a Bogart in Carbon Grey from Hats by the Hundred. It's a drag!

OTOH, it's nice to know that something excellent is being custom-made for me at such a reasonable price...

panama jack

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
I'm on the Dreaded Akubra Wait myself, for a Bogart in Carbon Grey from Hats by the Hundred. It's a drag!

OTOH, it's nice to know that something excellent is being custom-made for me at such a reasonable price...

How dark is the carbon grey? I'm looking for a dark grey hat because I don't black.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Atticus Finch said:
Don't Campdrafts come with an open crown? I've been thinking of buying one to bash as a fedora. Trouble is, I've never bashed a hat and I'm not sure how difficult the task would be. Is it something a novice should even attempt?

AF

There are several tutorials here somewhere, felt is both pliable and forgiving (and tough). It is certainly something you could do & have fun doing. David Morgan has kind of a lame pdf. on how to bash or crease the open crowned Akubras they sell, not much but it is a start.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:

As much as I dread the wait, I have to agree about it being nice to get something custom-made at a reasonable price. This will be my first Akubra, but they consistently get good "reviews" around here, so I'm looking forward to its arrival.

On a slightly different note, & just in case anyone's interested, I just realized that there are apparently two different qualities of Stylemaster: Imperial and Superfine. The Imperial comes in more colors and is very slightly more expensive. I'm not sure about any other differences.

I have emailed a store that carries both qualities and will report back when I found out exactly what the differences are.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I´m glad I read this thread - convinced me to buy one (at least) Akubra too.

I´m still not completely sure which model, I was thinking about Stylemaster, Hampton or Whippet. I´m not completely certain of the brim width. I´m not sure what suits me better...

tortswon

Practically Family
Recommendation

I really like my Stylemaster and am wearing it today as summer slips into autumn here in Philly. Mine is moonstone which is a medium gray with a hint of green in it. It is fitted with a special order black ribbon.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
tortswon said:
I really like my Stylemaster and am wearing it today as summer slips into autumn here in Philly. Mine is moonstone which is a medium gray with a hint of green in it. It is fitted with a special order black ribbon.

Tortswon,
Would you have a picture of your hat? I'm considering the same hat and color as you purchased but from the Akubra color chart I can't see a hint of green. I'm actually looking for something like a light to mediun shade of grey.

Panama Jack

Will Morgan

Vendor
Rick Blaine said:
There are several tutorials here somewhere, felt is both pliable and forgiving (and tough). It is certainly something you could do & have fun doing. David Morgan has kind of a lame pdf. on how to bash or crease the open crowned Akubras they sell, not much but it is a start.

Lame??!!

http://www.davidmorgan.com/bashinghat.html

When y'all go through that hat in hand please let me know how we could improve it.

I suspect you really might appreciate a video better... hrm...

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm