Alexander Hats

G.W. Alexander Hats Company, Gay Prince Clone, "Clipper."

Picture6.jpg
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture3.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Picture4.jpg

Still need to work on the brim some, and maybe add a little stiffener. It's fairly incorrigible, and has no snap to it. Thanks to the felt band being thicker than a normal ribbon, my 7 1/4 flange wouldn't fit it. I went up to a 7 3/8 flange, but just couldn't get the wonky out of the brim. So I ironed it flat and tried to shape it the best I could, but it still needs some work.

5 1/2" crown, 2 1/2" brim. It's in very good shape, and I gave it a bath first thing. Maybe one small moth nibble, and the sweatband is in very good condition. Plus, it has "moistrap."

View attachment 143924 View attachment 143925 View attachment 143926 View attachment 143927 View attachment 143928 View attachment 143929

Still need to work on the brim some, and maybe add a little stiffener. It's fairly incorrigible, and has no snap to it. Thanks to the felt band being thicker than a normal ribbon, my 7 1/4 flange wouldn't fit it. I went up to a 7 3/8 flange, but just couldn't get the wonky out of the brim. So I ironed it flat and tried to shape it the best I could, but it still needs some work.

5 1/2" crown, 2 1/2" brim. It's in very good shape, and I gave it a bath first thing. Maybe one small moth nibble, and the sweatband is in very good condition. Plus, it has "moistrap."
Very nice catch, Jim. It's not a low key style though; kind of a flashy hat.

Winston Carter

Practically Family

View attachment 143924 View attachment 143925 View attachment 143926 View attachment 143927 View attachment 143928 View attachment 143929

Nice hat. A little work and that hat with the stitching will look fantastic.

A wonderful, interesting example of 1950s style. I would say this one was worn on "casual" occasions to show some real panache. Moistrap rules!

A wonderful, interesting example of 1950s style. I would say this one was worn on "casual" occasions to show some real panache. Moistrap rules!

I believe the Dobbs Gay Prince was introduced in the 30s or 40s, so not certain of the "50s style." I have no real way of estimating a date on this hat, given the paucity of information about this brand.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.