Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers Roadster Planning

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Hi all, I'm seriously tempted to order a new jacket from AL. It will be - most likely - the "Roadster", I like the classic looks of it. I'm not so sure, however, about the leather. First I was most taken with the "Horween Steer Havanna", but I'm a bit unsure, as I already have a jacket in brown (Aero FQHH brown) and the Seal Goat also looks very nice. I already got samples from Amanda, but could someone who owns a jacket in Seal Goat by AL post pics of it? Thanks.

schitzo

Suspended
forget the seal, go with their black goat and you will not regret it. I suggest you consider zip sleeves too

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
I had a sample of the black goat and agree that it's amazing. Luxurious stuff. I think that style jacket looks better in black than many other collared styles, but that's just me.

I also agree on schitzo's recommendation on a zip sleeve. But I would also keep the cuff styling the same with that extra leather piece on the outside of the arm. Not sure what to call that, but I feel the sleeve kind of looks naked without something there.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
@schitzo & ProteinNerd & theundeadkennedy: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not really into black jackets, so it will most likely be in a brown color. Of course, if someone has pics to show from black goat, please show it. I find the jacket depicted on the AL-webpage particular amazing, that is the Havanna Horween Steer. The cuff-style is "American Cuff", if I'm not mistaken.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
You can't go wrong with a good goatskin. I would favor goat over FQHH anytime. I love the way the Horween Chromexcel ages, but once you have it on your back goat can't be beat.

schitzo

Suspended
@schitzo & ProteinNerd & theundeadkennedy: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not really into black jackets, so it will most likely be in a brown color. Of course, if someone has pics to show from black goat, please show it. I find the jacket depicted on the AL-webpage particular amazing, that is the Havanna Horween Steer. The cuff-style is "American Cuff", if I'm not mistaken.

FWIW if I was after another heavy jacket the brown steer cxl would be my first choice too; I agree it does look amazing. That said, if heavy didn't bother me, then I may just be swayed by the discounted clx bison, also available in brown, which I've heard from Plumbline (on here) is as good as it gets. If that jacket whore thinks so then it must be pretty decent

As far as I know storm cuffs are the default option, but in my view zip sleeves - which I was always opposed to up until the day I first saw them in the flesh - marry perfectly with the trim fit of this model, by facilitating extra slim sleeves (zip them all the way up), which IMO enhances the look. I also dig them for their versatility

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Amanda was so kind to send me a sample of the black goat as well. I agree, this is really nice stuff and I'm seriously considering getting the jacket in black goat. Thank you all for the input so far.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Steer is similar to FQHH but after having a jacket made in CXL steer, I'll never go back to FQHH! You might be pleasantly surprised by it should you go that route.

Last edited:
Steer is similar to FQHH but after having a jacket made in CXL steer, I'll never go back to FQHH! You might be pleasantly surprised by it should you go that route.

How so? I've never handled a CXL steer so I am genuinely interested. :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
How so? I've never handled a CXL steer so I am genuinely interested. :)

The steer is just comfortable from the go (softer, more malleable) and feels more natural to me. Softer, less "cardboard" feel. The heavier weight still needs a good break in, but the process so far hasn't been unpleasant. With most of the horse jackets I've ever owned, even the lighter weights, I'll be honest, I spent a good deal of time wondering whether I was a sucker for going with the hide the majority preferred/recommended when I overlooked steer or a more comfortable hide (which again, feels more natural to me for my likes). I've never worn a horse jacket long enough to know if it will reach that same feel eventually, but why wait for that? Finding out WWII A-2s were made from cow/steer and there are still surviving examples that have been around 60+ years eased any reservation I had with it prior. Just my preference/experience. Everyone is different and that's a good thing.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I would also say I prefer the steer's grain (bigger, and in select areas-beautiful) vs. horse's (smaller, but more widespread-still beautiful). But I'm talking about a few jackets only-two Horween CXL samples I had so this is by no means general or definite.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
If you do order one then bear it mind too that the roadster actually fits. So order your correct size and probably go a bit shorter than you would for a highwayman

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not really concerned by what hide you get (but I prefer the thinner more flexible hides) - just be sure about your measurements. If necessary measure a coat that fits well and ensure the length is just how you like it. I got through several coats before I worked out what size I liked best. In my case, I always go a little longer and looser. I can't stand the look of most fitted short jackets, period accurate or not. But I know some folks prefer that look. Just be sure whatever you choose that it's your preference.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Got to agree with Nick re. Steer vs Horsehide ...... Steer is a MUCH more forgiving hide and wears in / ages so much quicker and nicer than horse. Horween Horsehide is a tough old hide .... I much prefer the steer. Equally Alexanders used to do Mongolian Horse which was amazing ( I have an Indiana in it and it's stunning) I think it was sourced before they had access tyo Horween hides.

Roadster in CXL Black Steer is hard to beat IMHO ..... I'll be selling a 44" ( fits like an Aero Highwayman 40/42) in the next few days along with a 44" Russet Buffalo Aero Californian if anyones interested drop me a PM.

Last edited:
Thank you Nick123! I see where you're coming from. Though I can tell you, my experience with HH is, once it gets broken in, it becomes much, much more pliable and softer than any steer I've ever had. My first horse hide jacket was a Schott and while it may have been somewhat stiff right out of the box - there's a lot of talk about how stiff HH is but I never really found it bothersome - after only a year of wear, that jacket became so buttery soft and pliable that no steer, goat or lamb I've had could've compared to it. I've been through a number of high and low quality steer jackets, and neither one got close to the Schott HH in the terms of softness and wearability. I'm still finding that old Multipocket of mine somewhat of a pain as it hasn't properly gotten broken in even after all these years.

Maybe it's only the Schott HH that's like that - I still can't imagine any of my Aero's getting there yet, though time will tell - but hide is a hide so... I'm thinking if you guys have given the horse a little more time, I'm sure you would've found it to be exactly the kind of hide you're after.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
All I know about HH is that I had a well worn 10 year old Aero HH half-belt and it was always stiff and unyielding. Gradually got softer during wearing, with my body heat, but never soft enough to be an enjoyable garment to wear.

I agree with Seb about the Thick FQHH. That jacket was burly!
I have had a couple older HH jackets that are much easier to wear though, so my new jacket is being made of Shinki which is thinner and lighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points