Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As we gradually disseminate 'all' the great information gathered from our love for the Irvin style RAF flight jacket into their separate categories (as the GREAT IRVIN THREAD was just getting too large and cluttered for referencing), so 'THIS' is the place 'HERE' where you can post all photos and information related to ORIGINAL IRVIN STYLE flight jackets (Irvin is just a generic term to describe a 'type' of sheepskin jacket in this case).

For those who wish to 'reference' the original 'Irvin Nuts' thread, please CLICK on the link below, thankyou.

ORIGINAL "IRVIN NUTS" THREAD

Windsock

A-List Customer
Thanks Paddy

Classic well known shot which for me embodies the essence of the Irvin

Irvin-01-s.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although a small sample, your pictures lend weight to the view that the yellow-hooded Irvin was not generally worn by members of the Fleet Air Arm, but by those in Coastal Command. The third picture is of a two panel electrically heated Irvin, possibly the 1939 Irvin Air Chute contract, B25526. BTW where did you find these pics? Thanks for posting them.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Here are three pictures of myself,wearing a size 2 Irvin Coastal Command Jacket.
I have two of these jackets.The other is a size 3,and away,waiting to be repaired.

d4.jpg

d3.jpg

d1.jpg

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Three more pictures of Fleet Air Arm members wearing Irvin Flying Jackets

602squadronfleetairarm.jpg

douglascliftfleetairarm.jpg

fleetairarmflyingofficers.jpg

This picture is of a flying officer in Coastal Command,wearing his Irvin flying jacket.He is decorating the plane with christmas trimmings.

coastalcommandbomberpilot.jpg

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Great pictures these, thanks for posting them. In the last but one, I think that's Canadian ace Johnny Kent second from left.............. but Tim or Soren can probably tell you who everbody is in that picture............!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
blacklagoon said:
These pictures are of R.A.F pilots wearing Their Irvin Jackets.

DenisDavid.jpg

Just getting a bit off-topic, I'd like to thank you for posting this shot of my late friend Dennis David. I have many happy memories of visiting with him and his wife Margaret on my trips to the UK. He also hosted a few of us for dinner at the RAF Club in London.
Now, time to get back on topic!

N2S3

New in Town
Winter flying - time to grab your Irvin

1/11: I've planned a nice trip of winter flying. Snow, sunshining, smooth air, cold enough to grab my 24 year Irvin Replica. Preflight checks, jacket is solid warm. Thanks to Clive Cessna the 172 has not an open cockpit, the Irvin could be thrown to backseats.

Ready to enter aircraft
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr53/N2S3/P1010098.jpg

anybody knows this little 500 ft chapel in Cologne? Crossing Cologne CTR along the river Rhine
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr53/N2S3/P1010042.jpg

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
How do you ORIGINAL Irvin owners...

wash the pile and sheepskin facings before applying leather dressings such as Pecards? I know some wash repros and there are kits to purchase which allow a repro or any sheepskin jacket to be washed in a washing machine without damage BUT I would be afraid to do that with an ORIGINAL since I would feel the leather would be much more fragile.

Anyways, any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Bruce

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
Care to elaborate on that Baron?

I thought it best to have the leather surface COMPLETELY clean before applying leather dressing like Pecard? Am I wrong in thinking this? What about the wool pile inside the jacket? How would one clean it and remove dirt, grime, residue from age? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Bruce

Baron Kurtz said:
Don't.

Some cretin over at VLJ destroyed an (IIRC) original D-1 by washing it. What a loss!

bk

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have never washed an original Irvin as it will most likely ruin the jacket. If the fleece is dirty I wouldn't worry too much as it adds to the history of the jacket. Only apply a light coat of Pecards to the reversed sheepskin side (not the fleece!). It will be abosorbed in a couple of days. Then give it another coat a few days later. Don't over do the Pecards and wipe off any residue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk