ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Hawk_Eye, Oct 24, 2008.

1. aswatland

aswatland My Mail is Forwarded Here

I do hope they produce an accurate jacket. My comment was objective and factual. Two panel Irvins were used in 1939 and 1940 and only from 1941 did the four panel jackets start to get produced in large numbers. Therefore to call a four panel Irvin a Battle of Britain jacket is incorrect and they have done this their website for years. Perhaps they will change the title when the new jackets are produced? I like being pedantic about the historical accuracy of jackets-its stems from my training as a historian!

2. TCCC

TCCC New in Town

Mr. H. Johnson, I've noticed that you haven't posted on here in a while so I'm concerned that maybe you won't get this reply, however if I don't try, I'll never know. My name is Sebastian, I'm son of Peter Sanders, who's company was The Cockpit Clothing Company and the designer and producer of your Jacket. The year after the BoB LE was created, when I was 4, my father passed away, hence the demise of the company and unfortunately I never got a jacket of my own that would fit me today (I have my jacket from when I was a littlun but as you can imagine it fits little more than my hand haha).
    So what I'm getting at is, if you get this, would you consider allowing me to purchase the jacket?

3. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

I have owned two Cockpit jackets both were superb apart for the zips. I understand that Pieter Devries was the owner of The Cockpit Clothing Co. is this correct ?
    Good luck if you are looking for one as they are extremely rare.

4. thor

thor One Too Many

I agree with you Andrew; the name Battle of Britain is legendary in the annals of air warfare. It's not just a general timeframe, there is a distinct and specific time that is recognized as THE Battle of Britain. The BoB clasp worn on RAF DFC medals was highly prized and only awarded to those pilots who participated during the actual dated BoB timeframe. Afew months before or after the historically recognized dates of the actual BoB did not qualify a pilot for the BoB clasp. The term should not be tossed about by jacket makers (especially those in the UK) to describe any Irvin design except those worn during the BoB.

5. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

I think Irvin jackets were mainly worn by bomber crews as opposed to fighter pilots, so the tag may be somewhat tenuous

6. TCCC

TCCC New in Town

No my father's name was Peter Sanders, Louis DeVrees was the name of the company before it changed it's focus to the flying jackets and name to The Cockpit Clothing Company, Louis DeVrees is an ancestor and the name was used to keep his name alive. Hence the confusion. My mother was also co-owner of the company naturally, she's still live and kicking and I have a lot of the original paraphernalia and the original jackets the designs were taken from, but don't have a Cockpit Clothing Company Jacket.
    I know they're super rare, but this H. Johnson appears to have one in as new condition (2 years ago) So if anyone has contact details for him, I'd very much appreciate it.

What did you do with your jackets?

7. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

It's a size 38 if I remember correctly

8. /|\

/|\ One of the Regulars

I have a Cockpit Irvin jacket. I never wear it. I think I've worn it only two or three times. Very nice jacket for what it is, but I prefer something a bit more authentic. Right now I have a WPG Irvin, and I like it very much -- except for the sleeve zips. They won't stay zipped down. Still, until I can afford an Aces High (which I read upthread are very authentic), the WPG is a great jacket.

9. TCCC

TCCC New in Town

Are you saying H. Johnson's jacket is a 38?

and sir, if you never wear it, what condition is it in? what size? and would you consider selling it to me?

10. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

If anyone out there has Southampton Cockpit Clothing Co jacket size 44 upwards I would like to buy it.

11. aswatland

I believe H. Johnson (not his real name) has not posted here for some time, which is a shame as he has a wealth of knowledge about flying jackets.

12. jamestheflyingswan

jamestheflyingswan New in Town

Nice jacket,looks amazing with a good fit.

13. TCCC

TCCC New in Town

Hey, I'm interested in your jacket sir, if you never wear it would you consider selling it to me? Would mean the world. Thanks

14. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

Been there,it's an Avirex

15. /|\

/|\ One of the Regulars

Yes, it's The Cockpit by Avirex. Sorry for the confusion.

16. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  17. alsendk

alsendk A-List Customer

I am a bit puzzled about the Redskin becoming a pre war RAF flying jacket. Till now I actually thought the `normal`chestnut Irvin to become the one and only pre war jacket, to equip the pilots.
    Most of the old wartime photographs were in Black/White, so there would not be any evidence from these to prove anything. My question goes: was the redskin a regular RAF jacket, handed over to the pre war RAF pilots as well as the chest nut Brown ?
    Allan

[​IMG][/IMG]

18. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

It's a test sample of their new pattern that was made from surplus stock sheepskin, not the type that will be used in the final model.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  19. aswatland

Allan,

The colour of pre-War Irvins varied. There were very few true redskin Irvins produced. By redskin I mean those jackets with a russet finish to the skin that is very similar to the colour of a hand dyed pre-War B-3. I have a pre-war true redskin Irvin by Irvin Air Chute and the finish appears to have been hand applied. Most pre-War jackets were spray finished in chestnut brown or sometimes in a seal brown.

20. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Thoughts on the new design, Andrew?