Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds (really... are they good shoes?)

sal

One of the Regulars
I have always wanted a pair of AE's and am finally in a position, after Christmas ;) where I can afford them.
I started by doing a search here and noticed that there have been multiple, actually quite a few threads in the classifieds of members trying to sell them.
Is this a fluke or are there a lot of dissatisfied customers?
The cost of this level of shoe is at my limit but have wanted to own a pair for life and the ability to fix is very appealing.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I own more than a dozen pairs

Yes, I am quite satisfied. I like some pairs more than others, certainly. You will find some (dare I say it?) shoe snobs who will tell you that they aren't as good as they once were, I couldn't say. I wasn't buying grown-up shoes 40 or 50 years ago. I have large, wide feet, and I can get AEs in my size. I also own a pair of Aldens that I bought recently. I like them, too, but not more than the AEs, not less.

Unless you have standards that demand custom-made $5000 shoes, I believe you will be happy with them.

Trombone

Familiar Face
I am not an owner, but I have always heard great things about these shoes from the people here. If you can afford them they last a lifetime with free reconditioning plus shipping. I have tried to find a pair at thrift stores that fit so I can send them in. As for the multiple adds for them, I could not say. But you would have to search far and wide to find a dissatisfied customer. Maybe people have too many of one style of shoe or they have vintage versions. This is just me talking but if you can, you should get them.

-a pennys worth of advice

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I currently own three pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes, two of which are seconds. The first pair is an all black wingtip called the McClain. The only defect that I could find when i bought them was a scuff. After a polishing, it is gone. The second pair is again the McClain, but in a black & white spectator. These were also seconds but only because someone tried them on & there were starting to crease. The third pair I bought back In October & they are the Fifth Street boot. These are firsts. Allen Edmonds shoes are an investment. You can get them rebuilt & they will last you the rest of your life. I am hoping to get a pair of black Bayfields in the next few weeks.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

WH1

Practically Family
I have 5 pair and I am very satisfied with them, only pair I prefer to them are an older pair of Johnston & Murphy's which are American made and no longer available. They are an investment but worth it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have several pairs also, and I love them too. However be aware that they have a couple of different lasts, and one of them has narrower toes than the others. The Park Avenue is one of the style that is sort of snug in the toes. There may be others here who can explain this is greater detail. All I know is that some of them fit me like a glove, and there are a couple pairs, same size (10D), that pinch my toes a wee bit.

The Shooman

Practically Family
I have always wanted a pair of AE's and am finally in a position, after Christmas ;) where I can afford them.
I started by doing a search here and noticed that there have been multiple, actually quite a few threads in the classifieds of members trying to sell them.
Is this a fluke or are there a lot of dissatisfied customers?
The cost of this level of shoe is at my limit but have wanted to own a pair for life and the ability to fix is very appealing.
The shoes are very decent shoes and well worth the price paid for them. Will they last a lifetime?...well it depends on lots of factors. For some people with a good rotation of shoes, they might last forever. For other people who are hard on shoes and wear them everyday, they might only last 3 or 4 years. lt all depends. One thing for sure...you are getting a good product for the price and are well advised to buy a pair if you can find a shoe with a good fit.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I find them comfortable though they are descending into a world of narrow lasts (the 5) which is disappointing. Their recent success (expansion into PRC) and increase in production seems to have led also to a few quality control issues in the factory. Hopefully these will be ironed out and a very good company can continue to make a great shoe in America for a respectable price.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Cascade. For me, it came down to choosing between the Allen Edmonds Cascade, Alden 405 Indy Boot, and Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots. All are made in USA and repairable. What sold me was being able to try them on in the store, price point, and the Vibram lug sole. Where I live, there is an Allen Edmonds retail store, as well as a Alden retail store. The Wolverines were available at Nordstrom and several other retailers. I've worn Wolverines in the past, and still own a pair of loggers. The Allen Edmonds were just as well made, and just as comfortable, and typically sell for about $50 less. I just saw them on sale from Allen Edmonds for $245. That's about $100 less than the Indy Boot and the 1000 Mile Boot. I've spent a lot of time on my feet, and a lot of time in boots, in all sorts of terrain. I know that I can trust Vibram lug soles for traction and comfort. Keep your shoes oiled and polished. They could last a lifetime with proper care. I've got duty boots that I've owned for over 10 years.

Last edited:

sal

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I went to the store today and ordered two different pairs. I can't belive how well they felt when I put them on my feet.
I ordered the Kiowa and the Strand in walnut.
No I just have to wain until they arrive

Fifty150

One Too Many
Did you get the cordovan

That is a nice shoe.
allenedmonds_shoes_strand_brown.jpg

jkingrph

Practically Family
I currently own three pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes, two of which are seconds. The first pair is an all black wingtip called the McClain. The only defect that I could find when i bought them was a scuff. After a polishing, it is gone. The second pair is again the McClain, but in a black & white spectator. These were also seconds but only because someone tried them on & there were starting to crease. The third pair I bought back In October & they are the Fifth Street boot. These are firsts. Allen Edmonds shoes are an investment. You can get them rebuilt & they will last you the rest of your life. I am hoping to get a pair of black Bayfields in the next few weeks.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Rebuilding is not always available. I had a pair that still looked good but the inside lining was falling to pieces. The could or would not work on them. I still think they are one of the best shoes available.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Rebuilding is not always available. I had a pair that still looked good but the inside lining was falling to pieces. The could or would not work on them. I still think they are one of the best shoes available.
Repairing the lining is one of the hardest things possible for a factory to do with goodyear welted shoes, almost impossible considering the time it would take and the special extra handwork needed to do such extensive work. Even if AE had the special skill to carry out the job, the cost of the job would far outweigh the price of a new shoe because of all the handwork needed.

Putting on another outsole is the easiest, and even replacing a midsole and an outsole and putting more cork on the bottom of the insole can easily be done [too] because the work is easy handwork and alot of machinework. But when you have to completely undo the upper stitching, take off the soles and welt and then be forced to re-sew the upper and lining by hand, close them both, then handlast the closed upper and stitch the welt back on by hand and then stitch on the outsole and midsoles by machine...that is a HUGE task for a factory to do and inconvenient because it is not automated production. And if the factory aren't working on a certain model shoe at the time, then they have to stop the flow of automated production and find the pattern to click a new lining and find the last and do all the extra stuff (too time consuming and no money in it).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112