Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Special Order

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'm starting this thread in hopes that others who have gotten special make Allen Edmonds will drop off stories and images of theirs.

You'd probably have to check out my blog post here to understand what I'm saying in regards to vintage Allen Edmonds. Deckard's Guide

This thread is to show off a pair of my first cordovan shoes. I read, studied, learned about Cordovan and finally decided to get a pair. As said over and over again in previous threads, I have fickle feet when it comes to fit. I went with the style with the widest forefoot and narrowest heel available today -- The Macneil. If this were the 1950's I'd probably go with the same last as whatever they used for the "Strawfut" since it has a narrower waist and a narrower heel with a much wider forefoot... yet, this will have to do.

With this shoe I went all out and asked for something a bit off the beaten path. Since I fell in love with the leather wrapped Poron (super-dense space-age foam-rubber) footbed that was used on the Dryden style a few years back I decided to go with that for my special order.

I walk and dance a lot so any spongy comfort that can be added I greatly appreciate, especially when it never looses it's spongy properties and conforms to your foot just like a regular leather footbed (don't forget it's also over cork which molds to your foot as well.

The other major change I decided to get was to not go with the reverse welt. It's a design meant to keep out water, yet since it is made of leather itself and the thread is cotton, it really does just as good a job as when you don't have one at all. If it were made of rubber, perhaps it would help in wet situation, but as it is, adding a reverse welt ads weight and a wider perimeter to the shoe.

Without the reverse welt the shoe is a bit more maneuverable on a dancefloor.

So here they are. I'm sure they are the only pair in existence. the gunboat shoe lovers may think them an abomination, yet I think they are right at home on my feet, yet I still wish they would find that "Strawfut" Last.

IMG_0645-vi.jpg
IMG_0643-vi.jpg

IMG_0642-vi.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Matt, very nice looking customs! Being a huge Allen Edmonds fan I know you'll love them.

What size are you? I just saw a pair of strawfut's in black tonight at the local antique mall. Too small for me. They looked to be around a 9.

B

univibe88

One Too Many
Congrats on getting some cordovan shoes. You will love them. I have some off the rack MacNeils and they are by far my favorite shoes. In fact I just got them back today from the cobbler. They needed new heels. It was like being reunited with an old friend! I missed them while they were gone.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Horse Ass Shoes

Thanks.

You know, I forgot we had a thread on Shell Cordovan.

Cordovanhttp://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=7400

Been a while since the topic came up.

Sad to hear MK had to sell that Pair of Alden's. Yet I'm sure he'll get some soon enough that fit his feet better. If the chance comes I do suggest the Allen Edmonds and getting the poron footbed (It's amazing).

I wonder how often Zohar wears his.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
McLain in white nubuck

A couple of years ago I bought an old book of Charlie Chan stories. Charlie Chan was created by Earl Derr Biggers of Warren, Ohio. Biggers graduated from Harvard University in 1907. In addition to the Chan character, Biggers also wrote a number of stories that were adapted as Broadway fare.

But I digress. The Charlie Chan stories had a dust jacket with an illustration of the enigmatic detective dressed in a three-piece white suit, an Optimo style Panama hat and white nubuck wing-tip balmoral shoes. I had to have a pair, so I got in touch with my shoe retailer, Sherman Bros., and they arranged with Allen Edmonds to make a pair of McLain shoes in white nubuck. My grandfather said that I would have shoes as big as coal barges, so part of my AE fleet, here they are in all their 13EEE glory.

kil0n0vember

Width sizing.

One thing that is really great is MD was able to get an E Width. Most shoe companies have the regular widths of C & D lumped together as MEDIUM. The when you need an E width (as I do) they only make WIDE which is an EEE (triple E width) which is much wider than my foot so it swims in them.

Only the "high end" makers split out their widths still and allow a person to get a well fitting shoe which is important for comfort, wearing well and looking right.

In the mid 80's I was trained by JC Pennys to sell shoes and even then there was an argument about the Brannick Device, that metal foot measuring device. WE were taught all customer measurements were when seated but many insist you must measure while standing. And the controversy continues.

Slick pair, when my fortunes improve, I'll be seeking you advice on those.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nice shoes.

Personally, I find that shell wears too warm for a climate like that of SoCal but YMMV.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
How it's done

I worked through my regular shoe retailer, Sherman Bros. in Philadelphia. I imagine that AE wants to maintain good relations with their retailers, and consequently will most likely direct you to one of them for placing an order. I can give Sherman Bros. and unqualified recommendation for their customer service.

Once the order is placed and paid for, AE takes over. I have ordered, oh maybe 10 pairs of AE's from Sherman Bros. in the past several years, and the shipments come directly from AE's factory.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Matt Deckard said:
for the days it's too hot for Cordovan.
In Chicago and NYC I don't wear shell until it drops below 50°F, kinda like flannel and tweed.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
AE Vintage Ventilated Spectators

Maybe we can do like the Newsboy Caps thread and put up some deceased AEs as Matt has got the ball rolling.

AE Antiochs

AE Ridgeways

Feraud

Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
And just got word from the Allen Edmonds CEO Paul, they are really considering bringing back the Strawfut.

So what can we do to help ensure the return of this model?

If AE brings these back I am definitely in for a pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112