Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpaca aviator vest

Ralph Chen

Familiar Face
Just spot this on Freewheelers site , seem like a good way to wear my thin CR in real cold winter :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That's what the cut-off's are for!

...wouldn't want to be seen in one worn over a Perfecto even on a scooter.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I dont think wearing something over leathers will actually increase your warmth that much.
Warmth comes from trapped air around the body, and trapping air outside of the jacket won't help much.

Peacoat

Bartender
I dont think wearing something over leathers will actually increase your warmth that much.
Warmth comes from trapped air around the body, and trapping air outside of the jacket won't help much.
That is exactly what I think each time someone mentions layering on top of a leather jacket. Going on a ride this morning, and you better believe my vest will be under the leather.

Otter

One Too Many
I can see that might be a problem for people who like the "second skin" fit of their cafe racers.
I recently bought a Paramo Gilet that is designed to overlayer on top of your waterproof or wind proof layer when you take a breather. I was a bit sceptical at first, but it works and works well, it now has a special place in my pack.

Reactions: wdw

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can see that might be a problem for people who like the "second skin" fit of their cafe racers.
I recently bought a Paramo Gilet that is designed to overlayer on top of your waterproof or wind proof layer when you take a breather. I was a bit sceptical at first, but it works and works well, it now has a special place in my pack.
I tend to agree. I suppose the vest can still help trap body heat but wearing it over a leather jacket means taking away the function of the leather jacket as a waterproof windbreaker unless the vest itself has a waterproof and windproof shell.

I thought it to be utter nonsense too until I went to Canada, where after everything else failed, I discovered that wearing a ski jacket over a leather jacket absolutely did wonders for me. For some reason. I would wear just a t-shirt, a Vanson (mod B) and a cheapo ski jacket on top, and would literally feel hot after only a few minutes walk, even though the temperatures were below 25 Celsius. Takes a short while for the leather to heat up, but this combo truly does wonders.

I'm not sure why though. Has to do with some of that science stuff I guess...

Ralph Chen

Familiar Face
i think the extra layer of alpaca will help the warmth on the chest area but probably not very functional for biker.

Blackadder

I have a cheap (it was on sale) Schott deck vest with grosgrain shell and synthetic wool lining which is pretty warm. I have not tried wearing it over a jacket because it is a very tight fit but I do sometimes wear a down vest over denim jacket and it does work.

Roma

A-List Customer
When I wanted to buy a Freewheelers vest in the beginning of the winter, they and all their dealers were out of stock of my size and I bought an Iron Heart alpaca vest. The Freewheelers looks more interesting but the Iron Heart's take on was good too. It does help keep warmth inside and I used the vest occasionally throughout the winter over my Langlitz and Aero A2. In the picture it's the latter.
9e221ddf8f516a9d462a35035bfba128.jpg

IXL

One Too Many
I, along with many of my riding buddies, have found that a nice heavy vest worn over a leather jacket will indeed help to insulate one from the cold. I use a Carhartt insulated canvas-duck vest.

CBI

One Too Many
nice looking vest, the pockets are for my taste too large so the best ends up looking tubby

Peacoat

Bartender
i think the extra layer of alpaca will help the warmth on the chest area but probably not very functional for biker.
That's the way I see it as well, although IXL says it does work. But as he is from Oklahoma, I am a bit skeptical of the comment. ;) I would think the wind would strip the warmth from beneath the vest. I prefer that my moto jackets for cold weather riding have enough room inside the jacket for a vest.

ProteinNerd

That's the way I see it as well, although IXL says it does work. But as he is from Oklahoma, I am a bit skeptical of the comment. ;) I would think the wind would strip the warmth from beneath the vest. I prefer that my moto jackets for cold weather riding have enough room inside the jacket for a vest.

Its a great excuse for an extra jacket.....one for warm weather, one for colder :cool:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family

Sure it does. The more layers you add, the warmer you'll be. I wore a down vest over my cafe racer all winter and it worked great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk