Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha jackets owners, do they run big or small?

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I'd like to get me an Alpha N-3B but I'm confused with their sizing. They label their stuff S, M, X, XL... I wear a US Size 46. I think the best match would be a XL but I'm not sure at all. Should I go regular, size up or size down?

Do their sizing have any thing to do with military sizes? I own a military m-65 and my "military" size is M, not X or XL :eusa_doh:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It usually depends on what range from Alpha you're thinking of buying. But you usually have to size up with Alpha.

A N-3B eh? That's a serious bit of winter kit ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I know it is confusing. I see Alpha says that this is a standard fit and that usually means order your own size. However, if it was me I'd read around a bit especially reviews as sometimes it becomes apparent that you still need to size up with the "standard" fitting jackets. With an N-3B I'd personally tend towards the larger as I wouldn't want it fitted - it's a winter parka after all.

Hopefully someone here has one and can help - unfortunately I only have waist length flight jackets from Alpha and not a parka.

I see you are in Basque Country, is there anywhere in Bilbao that stocks Alpha? Or if you are going travelling soon to somewhere where they have Alpha stockists? Saying that Alpha have a return policy.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can be hit & miss size wise in my experience. My purchases haven't been parkas but Alpha MA1s & L2Bs. With later Chinese made versions even though some jackets advise sizing up I personally found those true to size. I'm a 46 chest & normally take an XL. I ordered a modern Chinese Alpha L2B in XXL on the advise of their customer services...(they couldn't give me measurements when asked) what arrived was like a tent I had to size down to the XL which was fine & plenty roomy on me...not a tight fit at all. I have purchased some American made Alphas (all XL) some are perfect some slightly too small depending on which series run the jackets from. XXL s are always too big on me whether China or USA made. An opportunity to try some on at a stockists would be ideal as Smithy suggests.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
That's my home town ;) Alpha has a retailer here but I dropped by and they didn't have any N-3B to try. Only formal stuff, suits and things like this, very disappointing. You enter the shop, you ask for a N-3B and they look at you like if you were speaking chinese :D said what?

The very same problem with some other US brands dealers. We have a Schott dealer but it doesn't carry their "vintage line". The guys only import their modern line. The shop is pretty awfull. No fly jackets or vintage biker's jackets. [huh] Whenever I want to buy anything, I have to order from abroad.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Can be hit & miss size wise in my experience. My purchases haven't been parkas but Alpha MA1s & L2Bs. With later Chinese made versions even though some jackets advise sizing up I personally found those true to size. I'm a 46 chest & normally take an XL. I ordered a modern Chinese Alpha L2B in XXL on the advise of their customer services...(they couldn't give me measurements when asked) what arrived was like a tent I had to size down to the XL which was fine & plenty roomy on me...not a tight fit at all. I have purchased some American made Alphas (all XL) some are perfect some slightly too small depending on which series run the jackets from. XXL s are always too big on me whether China or USA made. An opportunity to try some on at a stockists would be ideal as Smithy suggests.

Hey, bn1966 thank you, that's very useful, exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm a US 46 too. If a XL is good for you, I'll go true size then.

I did read some comments about sizing up, in amazon.com, for instance. However, XXL still sounds too large to me. In my mind XXL is something huge.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's my home town ;) Alpha has a retailer here but I dropped by and they didn't have any N-3B to try. Only formal stuff, suits and things like this, very disappointing. You enter the shop, you ask for a N-3B and they look at you like if you were speaking chinese :D said what?

The very same problem with some other US brands dealers. We have a Schott dealer but it doesn't carry their "vintage line". The guys only import their modern line. The shop is pretty awfull. No fly jackets or vintage biker's jackets. [huh] Whenever I want to buy anything, I have to order from abroad.

A quick squiz on Amazon reveals that a lot of reviewers said to size up for this model. Now Amazon reviewers aren't always the greatest but this could be telling considering just how many people have said to size up.

wdw

One Too Many
I had an Alpha N-3B and deliberately bought down a size as it was pretty huge. No way would I size up on that one.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I had an Alpha N-3B and deliberately bought down a size as it was pretty huge. No way would I size up on that one.

There you go then Aerojoe, straight from the horse's mouth of someone who has one.

As wdw actually has one it's probably worth taking his advice.

Aerojoe

Practically Family

Aerojoe

Practically Family

Hey thanks for the input ;)

There you go then Aerojoe, straight from the horse's mouth of someone who has one.

As wdw actually has one it's probably worth taking his advice.

Well, it is some confusing again :D A size down for wdw was pretty huge, a true size for bn1966 was ok. I think my best bet so far is going true size, XL. I have located a surplus shop in NY where they sell it for 160$. As long as it doens't run small, it is ok, not a big deal. I mean, if sleeves are larger I can have them fixed for cheap here.

wdw

One Too Many
Aerojoe, I meant so-called true to size was pretty huge, but I think these M, L etc sizes cover a couple of chest sizes. As it's a warm jacket, you probably won't be wearing more than two thin layers underneath, so XL should be plenty for you.

I actually sold mine as I got a TNF McMurdo parka at half UK (expensive) price, about the same as the Alpha, and much prefer the McMurdo, despite the label.

Last edited:

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Aerojoe, I meant so-called true to size was pretty huge, but I think these M, L etc sizes cover a couple of chest sizes. As it's a warm jacket, you probably won't be wearing more than two thin layers underneath, so XL should be plenty for you.

I actually sold mine as I got a TNF McMurdo parka at half UK (expensive) price, about the same as the Alpha, and much prefer the McMurdo, despite the label.

Hey, wdw friend, thanks for your advise. I'll go true size. As long as it doesn't run small it will be ok. Thank you!

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
We have here in Paris a dealer which selling Alpha (DOURSOUX), i bought them 3 years ago an N3B in Sage Green, very warm and practical but the shell was too shiny so i sold it for a 1986 GREENBRIER issue N3B (80% Cotton / 20 % Nylon), as warm as the Alpha. I took the same size (M) : 38 chest. I have plenty room to put an heavy sweater.
Hope that's help.
Cheers,
F68

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Hello,
We have here in Paris a dealer which selling Alpha (DOURSOUX), i bought them 3 years ago an N3B in Sage Green, very warm and practical but the shell was too shiny so i sold it for a 1986 GREENBRIER issue N3B (80% Cotton / 20 % Nylon), as warm as the Alpha. I took the same size (M) : 38 chest. I have plenty room to put an heavy sweater.
Hope that's help.
Cheers,
F68

Well, I'm 46 chest so everything points me to go true size XL ;) Thnak you. I'm pulling the trigger next week.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Ok, I just recieved my order. It has spend almost one month at the customs office
facepalmsmiley1ti3.gif
I didn't manage to make a decent picture with my shitty phone camera yet but I'm on it.

I can say that the advice given on this thread was good - thanks to everybody - ;) Jacket runs true to size. I'm a US46 and this jacket is "XL". Perhaps it is slighty larger but it is a good feature because in extreme cold you want to layer and you need some extra space. Sleeve length it's perfect.

The worst part of the deal is the faux fur collar and the plastic zipper but actually not a big issue [huh] I love the handwarmers on the chest area :)

I think the confussion with Alpha N-3Bs and sizes is as a result of their "slim fit" line. The jacket I ordered is "standard fit" and true to size. However, if it was "slim fit", I guess I'd need to size up and have the sleeves trimmed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21