Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha MA1 / CWU Jackets

legality

New in Town
Hi
I have just bought an Alpha MA1 and a CWU jacket, both sage nylon. I love the jackets, but the nylon is very shiny. I wondered if there was any way of 'ageing' the nylon - or does that just result in trashed jackets?

Any hints / guidance / previous experience of this?

Cheers

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You can dry clean it and that'd take some of the sheen off. Problem with these jackets is that they don't seem to use the DuPont 6-6 flight satin any more but some generic nylon which appears to be thinner and shinier.

legality

New in Town
Thank you - I'll give that a go. Sounds much better than my idea of sandpaper which I imagine would just trash the jackets!

legality

New in Town
Tried the dry cleaning suggestion and it's helped. Still a bit 'new and shiny looking' so any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

karhu21

One of the Regulars
My experience with those jackets is that the shine fades with time. Wearing them in the rain often helps too.
I have an old one but could not stretch to expensive dry cleaning so I threw it in a warm (40deg.C) wash and
tumble dry and it still looks fine! Its up to you but thats my 10p worth.

Peacoat

Bartender
Many of these old flight jackets have been unintentionally shrunk several sizes by washing and drying, rather than dry cleaning. If the label says "Dry Clean Only," that is what I would do. In the vintage jackets, any thing other than dry cleaning is the kiss of death. I have two left from my pilot days that that require dry cleaning.

You could try leaving them in the sun for a week or so and see how that goes. Or use 000 steel wool on the finish to remove the shine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183