Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha Replica B-15C 44- Fixing the length

fishmeok

Vendor
Hello

I've had this size 44 for a long time but never really wore it as the length is just too short. For those who don't know the Alpha Replica series was only made for a year or so and is worlds above the Alpha Vintage Series. The size 44 is more of a 48-50 to start with. I'm 6' and the back length is so short the waist knit sits right about where my kidneys are. This always left about 2" of my shirt exposed, even with the high waisted old man trousers I tend to wear. The entire cut of the body always looked wrong to me, it fit like an inflated garbage bag, blooming up around the waist with a lot of excess material hanging. I was looking at this thing today and realized what was going on- the insulation inside the jacket is at least 3" too short, pulling the entire waist up.

I don't know if this was just a bad cut or bad batch, but it seems pretty common across all the size 44 replica's I have seen on the forums.

Here's how to fix:

Open up one of the hand pockets and turn the jacket inside out. This is not easy to do, but this jacket is VERY well constructed and every seam including on the liner is either Frenched or double top stitched. Not worth opening up an arm seam.

The insulating layer is sewn to the waistband and has two rows of stitching above that.

It's easier to cut the insulation right above the waistband stitch line and then remove the two upper rows. The side seams are triple stitched, so I cut to the stitch line and then up towards the armpit a few inches.

This will free up almost 4" of length.

Same story with the sleeve ends:

The back length now is almost 27 inches and the sleeves are an inch longer. The jacket is still huge, but at least it's more in proportion and wearable. I will go back in and sew some strips to the waist and insulation to make sure it does not ball up inside, but that does not seem to be much of an issue. For a jacket as nice as this, I think the effort is well worth it.

Cheers

Smithy

I'll Lock Up

fishmeok

Vendor
Mark, that's brilliant and timely because we've been talking in this thread about how most B-15s are a problem for us tall guys:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/buzz-rickson-b-15-pic-heavy.78608/page-5#post-2055316

I had to sell on that Alpha you sold me a few years back for exactly that fact, it was just too short.

Great job with that Replica series Alpha. You should offer Alpha jacket lengthening through the Norshor site, I'd be keen ;)

I don' think this would work with a regular Alpha jacket- Only the replica series

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I don' think this would work with a regular Alpha jacket- Only the replica series

Damn I saw a 42 replica a wee while back but didn't buy it thinking that there's no chance it'd be too short. If I find another, any chance of you doing the same mods Mark?

I know you've had a lot going on family-wise so no probs if you say no. Plus I have to find another one which will probably take months!

fishmeok

Vendor
Hi- this is something anyone with a razor and a pair of scissors could easily do. No sewing machine required, everything could be hand stitched back together. ALSO I have no idea for sure if this applies to other jackets in the series, or even other size 44's (disclaimer...)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The military jackets with wool insulation have pile, so it will be thicker and might not be as amenable to this sort of hack. But that's speculation on my part. To anyone who's thinking of doing this make sure your sewing skills are good since you won't want to screw up your favourite jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo