Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to Red Wing Gentleman Travelers

Doug C

Practically Family
Technically speaking I don't think the RW Gents are really a "commando" sole... the rubber half sole is only 1/4" thick. You will probably have some luck finding a boot with a similar sole and with a lineing... but maybe not so much a real "commando" soled boot with a lineing. They are sort of opposite in nature, the huge lug commando sole being the brute and the lined boot a more refined feature. Still though, there will probably be some... for instance there are variations of the Alden 405 that are made with a lug sole, again not sure if it's as chunky as you want. You gotta get them as a special order or from a special Alden dealer or whatever, I admit to being happily ignorant to all the special type Indy 405 boots... I just like the original ones. Maybe some custom White's ? Someone will kick in with some suggestions other than what I've said. Best of Luck !!

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Chris_B said:
But what I do not like about them, is that they do not have any inner lining/leather.

In my experience lack of lining is a very good thing if boots are of high quality. Nothing is worse then slipping and getting your feet wet in a creek and waiting two weeks for the stinking boots to dry out!

filfoster

One Too Many
lining

Atterbury Dodd said:
In my experience lack of lining is a very good thing if boots are of high quality. Nothing is worse then slipping and getting your feet wet in a creek and waiting two weeks for the stinking boots to dry out!

Of course, it's personal preference but I agree with Atterbury Dodd on this. The leather lining seems like such a good thing but this is one drawback. Wearing holes out in the lining is another.

pipvh

Practically Family
I have a pair of Red Wing Chelsea boots, which are incredibly comfortable and incredibly tough - and leather-lined. Worn almost solidly for two years in every conceivable weather condition and the sole is only just starting to wear down. I'm starting to think they may be a better deal than my beloved R M Williams Gardeners. If the Gentleman Travellers are anything like the Chelseas, they're worth buying.

For a lace-up, Trickers Grasmeres are splendid, if expensive.

ando.thun

New in Town
Thanks H. Johnson. Never heard of William Lennon's before

Just ordered a pair of 78 Tug of war boots. And now the waiting begins...

Fifty150

One Too Many
Very expensive. But yes, Alden & Allen Edmonds both offer boots with lug soles. Timberland has less expensive options if you don't mind that they are made in China.

Apologies to anyone who feels that they are looking at an info-mercial for expensive shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk