Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Flight Jackets by J. Conway & J. Maguire (Hardcover)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Had it and is now with another member. It is a pictoral book more than anything. Good for jacket art ideas but I prefer the historical text/essay stuff.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very useful book, with excellent photos. Some of the information contained has been superseded by more recent research.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I know my views can be a little controversial at times but I think diversity is what make a review like this more interesting.
I read this and it's companion books when they first came out. From what I can remember it is as Nick and Andrew say, a bit of a picture book but does have a lot of useful information though it all depends on what information you are looking for.
If it is pictures and a little info on where and why this garment was used, maybe a little background info on the original owner and where he was stationed this may be the book for you as it covers lots of different American jackets from different conflicts up to it's publishing date. From memory there may be a wartime photo of the original owner in action wearing his jacket, and so we see the jacket 60 years later. Couple this book with others such as Roger Freemans Airfields of the 8th Then and Now and history can come alive through these pages.
Very little on specific details of contract numbers(probably none), or different pocket shapes, zip brands and production numbers as beloved by collectors today. If details like this rather than history is your thing this may NOT be the book for you.
Should you just like ogling old leather jackets and their artwork through the ages, then this probably IS the book for you.
Just lovely pictures well photographed of items we love.
There is a companion book titled The Art of the Flight Jacket which is 99% WWII items(mostly A2s) which followed the same format.
Another, not a Maguire, titled One Last Look (Kaplan and Smith) is another great Then and Now read.

Personally I would say Highly Recommended.

thor

One Too Many
Check out "Hell-bent for leather: The saga of the A-2 and G-1 Flight Jackets" by Derek Nelson and Dave Parsons. Lots of good info and cool photos. Available used on Amazon for $15-20.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you want a book purely on A-2 jackets, then Gary Eastman's "Type A-2 Flight Jacket Identification Manual" is the best on the market. It discussed all the contracts, the makers and the different features of A-2 jackets.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I would be more interested in a book containing info on design evolution, why certain styles were chosen, who was awarded the contract and why, etc., etc.
Yes, lots of good high quality photos is a must. WWII would be my main timeline for interest.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Hell Bent was a really good read. I know it has some major errors to be sure to spot (can't remember which) which I'm sure are stated somewhere in these parts, but other than that, it's a good one. I still want Gary's book too!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Do not buy art of the flight jacket; it will just feed your addiction. Thanks for reminding me that I still need to do something about the ETO night fighter jacket !

Flight Jacket Art? Something like this, maybe? Yes, that is my wife...a bit younger version!

A-2 Texas Toye.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hell Bent For Leather, yes a 20 year old introduction to the world of leather jackets, good at the time now agree a little dated.
Cowboys of the Sky, probably the first book on the subject of leather jackets from the WWII period, really a catalogue for Jeff Clyman's Avirex jackets. A full colour book featuring many of the popular Avirex designs loosely based on original WW II jackets or aircraft such as China Doll, Target For Tonight and Glen Millar's Army Airforce Band, jackets with such features as hand warmer pockets and seams down the back.
Unless you are into old Avirex a complete waste of money.
Classy Chassis by Ian Logan. A small sized book featuring A2s from the wartime era. Colour pin ups from the Varga(s) and George Petty era's and some old black and white photo's of planes and jackets, a few notes but not a lot to go on. Another early attempt but really an art themed book.(a tin drinks tray comes with it, or did.)
AS for Gary's book. Definitely worth a look, but full of technical stuff so try to look at a mates copy first. Great for spotting contract variation when attacked by an A2 wearer coming out of the sun. I have not seen a secondhand copy on the market for under £50.
I would think there are others but these books are the main protagonists.
Maguire's other books are usually full of equipment and uniforms with a small smattering of leather as are other books such as the Rin Tanaka volumes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana