Amusing quotes from people mis-dating you

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Nora, Jun 21, 2014.

1. This didn't happen to me, but to my sister-in-law and along those same lines. She and her mother took the kids to some or other function, and they had to pay for each kid, something like $5/each. My mother in law was off to the side doing whatever with the kids while my sister in law paid. The conversation with the young girl at the counter goes something like:

Girl: "that'll be $15".
    SIL: "it's only two kids".
    Girl: "we consider under the age of 15 to be kids, so you'll have to pay for the girl in the red sweater (or whatever it was) too."
    SIL: "that's not a kid, that's my mother."
    Girl: "well, how old is she, is she under 15?"

2. Seraph1227

Seraph1227 One of the Regulars

i've been addressed as " Rabbi " a few times on the street.

3. Seraph1227

[​IMG] this one is for you Lizzie

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

4. Seraph1227

I found the enamel in the cellar of a soda fountain/general store on the tiny town of Kinsman Ohio. You can still get an ice cream soda there too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

5. Michaelson

Michaelson One Too Many

Years ago I was taking my daughters around trick-or-treating. I was wearing my standard fedora, leather jacket and was otherwise nicely dressed in what would probably be seen as 'blue collar' dress of the 20's thru '50's, when an elderly lady handed my girls some candy, looked up and said 'that's the best Clyde Beatty outfit I've ever seen. Here's you candy!' Uh, thank you mam'.

6. Did you have your whip handy? lol lol
    [​IMG]

7. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

It's different than the Indiana Jones remark I was expecting, at least. As for Dr. Jones, he's a cool character, but people wearing leather jackets with fedoras normally only get compared to him.

8. Michaelson

Michaelson One Too Many

Well, depends on the area you were from. Fedora's and leather jackets were pretty much the standard 'uniform' for steel workers and railroaders in my town 'back in the day', and I wore them LONG before Indy ever hit the screen, or was even a germ of an idea in Lucas's head.

The elderly lady in question was probably in her late 70's or 80's (this happened in the late 80's), and probably never even HEARD of Indiana Jones, so I guess Clyde Beatty was the closest thing she could think of that I was dressed as.

What's odd is in the 40+ years I've worn fedora's and leather jackets, I can only think of one time an 'Indy' comment was ever made to me, and it was by a little girl who pointed me out to her Mom in a storm. Other than that, I've heard 'Look Mommy, a cowboy' remark more often than not.

As I've gotten older, no comments are made at all now.......I'm just referred to as the 'old guy with the hat, jacket and handlebar moustache'. LOL!

Nope, no whip. ;-)

Regards! Michaelson

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  9. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

She should've said: "Yes, and so am I", and got the whole lot in for $20.

10. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

Everyone insists I am "rockabilly" and I only listen to "rockabilly" music. While it is one of the many things I like, it's not the center of my life. I dress more late 30s than anything else. Must be the tattoos (which are all 20s-30s themed, btw). lol

11. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

Wonder how many Loungers read this and decided not to rent to themselves. :)

12. Gin&Tonics

Gin&Tonics Practically Family

I've tried to no avail to explain to my wife and her family the difference between a sport coat and trousers and a suit. lol

I very often get compliments from random strangers when I dress in vintage-inspired style, some extremely enthusiastic. I don't think I've ever had a negative comment, to be honest.

13. HeyMoe

HeyMoe Practically Family

Stepped out of my 1939 dodge sedan yesterday wearing a grey felt fedora, pale orange shirt with a bold look tie that matched, herringbone grey wool pants and black and white spectators and immediately had the lady next to me tell me she loved my tie and that I had a wonderful 60s thing going on.

[huh]

14. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

I don't understand, either. I think you would have clearly, to many people, reminded them more of the 1930s or '40s.

Three days ago, I heard someone say something with me in mind, like this, "He looks like he's from Downton Abbey." None of the clothes I was wearing at the time were vintage. I had on a taupe suit, dark grey shirt, a navy with white polka dots tie, black chelsea boots, and a modern Stetson Stratoliner milan straw hat. I wasn't bothered by that association, and I haven't seen that show yet, but I doubt that I looked particularly 1910s. The suit I wore was modern, being influenced by some of the 1960s looks, including narrow lapels and tapered pants with only a slight amount of break. In a way, I do understand somewhat, as the tapered pants look is 1910s, and people did wear hats then. :)

15. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I had two people in one day tell me they liked my style. But so far, nobody's misdated me. Unless you count being called "steampunk' misdating.