Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An A2, a motorcycle and lots of bugs.

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

I've been wearing my Eastman as a riding jacket until I can pick up a proper "bike" jacket. After last week, though, it looks like I tore through a swarm of locusts and my jacket is...unsightly. What is the best way to clean goat-leather without damaging it, but still taking off the bugs?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

JB

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Saddle soap and water should work fine. Also, plain water would get most of it off, probably. Fancier cleaners include Leatherique, Pecards or Lexol. Goat is pretty tough and should come out of it OK.

Peacoat

Bartender
Saddle soap is good. Lexol makes a conditioner and a Ph balanced cleaner; either will work fine. I have been using those three, and more, for twenty five years or so. Goat is a tough hide, and not much will bother it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You can't hurt goat. I've had bad experiences with saddle soap, I find it weakens the leather. I'd just use a damp cloth with warm soapy water. Water won't hurt so it doesn't matter how wet it gets.

I certainly agree water should be tried first. In fact, just get a spray bottle filled with hot water and spray it down lying flat. Let it soak a few minutes then wipe and repeat. Most like you will to need anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch