Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Interview With Ken Calder from Aero

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Really interesting.

I wonder Japanese brands he was referring to here:

"Gluing seams is very popular amongst Japanese makers, it’s a huge aid to neat stitching but sadly it makes the jackets near on impossible to unpick or to repair any broken stitching, gluing the front edges alongside the zipper makes is so much easier to do a very neat top stitch but extremely difficult to replace a broken zipper neatly. If the top stitch is too small that job goes from extremely difficult to impossible. An Aero jacket is put together in exactly the same way as the ones I repaired back in the late 70s, very few of these original jacket would have survived had they been glued and skived like so many of the current offering by others in this field."

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I was able to do an interview with Ken from Aero after he responded to an article I wrote. I'm not sure how much of this information is new to anyone here, but maybe you guys will find this interesting.

https://almostvintagestyle.com/2018/10/31/an-interview-with-ken-calder-or-aero-leather/
Well done! May I recommend a small correction? Freddie Mercury indeed worked for Ken but back at that time Aero was not yet established.
Ps- congratulations on your site!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Really interesting.

I wonder Japanese brands he was referring to here:

"Gluing seams is very popular amongst Japanese makers, it’s a huge aid to neat stitching but sadly it makes the jackets near on impossible to unpick or to repair any broken stitching, gluing the front edges alongside the zipper makes is so much easier to do a very neat top stitch but extremely difficult to replace a broken zipper neatly. If the top stitch is too small that job goes from extremely difficult to impossible. An Aero jacket is put together in exactly the same way as the ones I repaired back in the late 70s, very few of these original jacket would have survived had they been glued and skived like so many of the current offering by others in this field."

I do too, but I don't think he wants to call out specific names, which is totally fair.

Cool interview! Thanks for sharing, Jake!

Thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed it.

Congrats Dude, nice write-up.

Thanks! I appreciate it :)

Well done! May I recommend a small correction? Freddie Mercury indeed worked for Ken but back at that time Aero was not yet established.
Ps- congratulations on your site!

Thank you! I will make that correction right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points