Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anchorage, AK hatter inquiry

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
airforceindy said:
Anybody know of a hatter (a good one!) in or around the Anchorage area? Looking to do a refurb on my vintage Resistol...

-AFI
Hey, buddy... am also in the greater Anchorage area. I've been looking for quite a while for hat stores here, much less actual hatters, and have come up quite dry. If you do find anything, please do let me know as well.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
just a thought

i never tried this, but has anyone ever considered calling the better business bureau or some commerce dept in the local govt- they may have a listing of any hatters (registered businesses.

no idea if this is how it works, but just popped into my head.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Well, been searching quite a bit only to find squat. As near as I can tell, the closest reputable to hatters are John Penman and Art Fawcett, and they're both way down in Oregon. Both Art's work is unprecedented, and John's not far behind, I just wish there was a local shop I could walk into on a Saturday afternoon and chat over a cup of coffee.

-AFI

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Completely agree with you there. "The Mad Hatter" in the Dimond Center Mall has a couple hats, but virtually nothing of any selection.

You can see why I've taken advantage of some trips down to the lower 48 to go hat shopping. :)

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Yeah, just got back from Tyndall, FL myself; no chance for shopping though. Last hat I bought was my vintage Resistol from Sergei's estate over on COW. Love that hat, though... it's a beauty. Forgive the face-rug... had some leave to burn up:)
4700599709_02007b277d_b.jpg

4701231116_5f13ef40c7_b.jpg

4700600035_97897ba346_b.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Indy, I'm guessing you're at Elmendorff,

that's sad to hear there are no hatters up in Anchorage, I'm on my way up at the end of the month fro Juneau...

Hey anybody care to join me at Sullivan's steakhouse on June 28th in Anchorage?

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Mr Vim said:
Indy, I'm guessing you're at Elmendorff,

that's sad to hear there are no hatters up in Anchorage, I'm on my way up at the end of the month fro Juneau...

Hey anybody care to join me at Sullivan's steakhouse on June 28th in Anchorage?
Would absolutely LOVE to have an Alaska hat gathering. Sadly, though, I've just started my 1 year in Iraq, so you all will have to have an extra drink for me this time, and we can do it again next year.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately, I'm getting ready to leave town on a six-monther, myself. Hoping (fervently) for a chance to get to Marx Bros Cafe with the wifey before I leave next week.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Gentlemen, being an Iraq veteran myself, I gladly toast you all and regret that we cannot meet due to prior engagements.

You all stay safe.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
You know, I've lived here over a year and haven't been there yet... There are so many REALLY good local places, I just haven't gotten 'round to it. I'm down, though:)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
5th Ave mall

I found Mad Hatter's in the 5th ave mall during my stay in Anchorage.

The owner has a few fut felt hats, mostly Scala brand... or anything Dorfman Pacific. I talked with her extensively and am told she would be expanding what she carries in the fall and possibly opening a hat service... steam cleaning and blocking, but she was not sure.

It's an odd shop, as it has a lot of modern clothing, and then suddenly there are these hats... classic Fedoras and the like that don't go with the clothing much, but it looks like she might be the one to service Anchorage for their hatting needs soon.

Hope that helps.

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Yes, other than 1-2 novelty hats you can find in a couple Anchorage stores like a costume shop, the Mad Hatter would be the closest thing we have to a hat store. It used to be a stand-alone store, before it moved into the mall. Unfortunately, when I went in, the selection was minimal-to-none, and NONE of the hats were in my larger size. Very sad, but not too unexpected in today's non-hat-style world. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112