Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ANJ-4 and B-6

Mark-D

New in Town
Hello all,

I am thinking about getting a nice shearling jacket for the cold days in winter.

After reading a lot about the different models I have pretty much narrowed my choice down to a B-6 or an ANJ-4. The details are not all clear to me however and I feel I still lack some information to make my choice.

I'm hoping that those who own one of these two models, or perhaps both, can share their experience with me.

I am looking for a winter jacket that is warm, durable and also practical. I know all sheepskin jackets are somewhat bulky, but I would like one that is fitted and trim when worn over a T-shirt an a (very) thin sweater.

FYI: My chest is about 38 1/2 (97.5cm), my waist 36 1/2 (92.5cm)

What I like about the B-6 is that it is not too bulky and not as warm as a B-3 or an Irvin.
I think it would be perfect for most of the winter days here. I also like the hand warmer pockets.
My reservations about the B-6 are that it is all sheepskin and might be very prone to getting damaged when worn intensively. Another thing I do not like very much (I am sure I could live with it, but I'm no real fan) is the woolen trim on the sleeves and the waist hem. It is not just the look, but also, and to a larger extent, that this trim gets damaged rather quickly.

My reservations about the B-6 got me thinking about the ANJ-4. I also like the look of this jacket. I am unsure however how this jacket compares to the B-6 in terms of warmth and bulkiness. I think the ANJ-4 was meant to replace the B-3, but perhaps it is not as bulky and more fitted? Can someone shed some light on this for me?

The other element I like about the ANJ-4 is the overlay of stronger leather in several places. I would think this enhances the durability of the jacket quite a bit, no? The leather waist hem and cuffs in this jacket is a big plus for me.

I would very much appreciate all the arguments to help me deciding what would be the best model for me.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Mark

Mark-D

New in Town
Thanks for that. I didn't realise.

Mmm, does anyone think if a ANJ-4 a B-6 hybrid would be a viable design?

In fact it would not be a real hybrid, actually it would be more or less be an ANJ-4 but with thinner/lighter/shorter fleece, like used in the B-6?

Would it be a viable option?

I really like the design of the ANJ-4 and the idea of horsehide reinforcements to the easily damaged zones of the shearling jacket, but if it is more like the B-3 I'm afraid that it will be too hot and too bulky for me...

A D-1 or M-422 might be good. D-1 has thinner fleece; the M-422 (G-1) has a fur collar, but if you got it slight bigger, you could layer and the bi-swing back gives you flexibility...just a thought. Or go with a civi jacket with a nice Alpaca lining? Some of the Aero lineup look similar to military jackets, a la the 1950's.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Mark,
I have an Aero B6 and can tell you that they are a lot tougher than you would think, not as tough as a B3 or ANJ4 because of the lack of horse panels but similar to an Irvin, I love Irvins and had one prior to the B6 but found that I could not wear it except on the very coldest days because it was such a warm jacket!

D

Mark-D

New in Town
Thanks for the suggestions, Butte. I prefer the B-6 to the D-1 though. The D-1 also has the shearling trim on the cuffs and the waist hem and like I mentioned, this is the element I do not like very much on these jackets.

The G-1 doesn't really thrill me either. I do not really like elastic waistbands on leather jackets, although in the future I will get me a nice A-2.

The lower unlined button-up part of the 3rd generation ANJ-4 looks practical too. I am right thinking these can be unbuttoned to facilitate sitting down with the jacket zipped up?

Davy, good to hear that they are tougher than they look. An Irvin would be much to warm for my needs too I believe. That's why I was looking for lighter shearling jackets.

I really like the ANJ-4 pattern. It would be ideal to have this model made with the lighter D-1 or B-6 shearling. Do you guys this would work?
Another option might be to have horsehide overlay fitted on a B-6 and to have the cuffs and waist hem made like the ANJ-4.
But I think this would result in practicaly the same jacket.

Edward

Bartender
The B6 will be a bit less warm than the ANJ4 (which was, essentially, a replacement for the B3, intended for both Army and Navy pilots - hence the name. Short-lived, due to the introduction of the early fabric and then nylon jackets. And heated flying suits, etc). It really depends on you yourself - I have a B3 and an Irvin both, and both see a lot of wear here in London (and on work trips elsewhere, including Beijing) through the Winter. I'd be surprised if I found the ANJ4 too much in Belgian Winters (it's been a decade since I was last there, but I was over regularly at a time when the EC funded research I was involved in). If you don't tend to feel the cold much, though, you'll maybe find a B6 is just the ticket. FWIW, given I've never owned one, I suspect I could wear a B6 just fine in London currently, but in six weeks' time, I'd definitely feel the benefit of the heavier jacket. That's just me, though...

It all depends on you. I love the cold, but I tend to get cold easier since I lost weight and acclimated to California. I can wear a heavy jacket here (we get into the 30ºs (f)) and some find that hard to believe. I also travel. I like having a heavy jacket for the cold. Plus, I'm the guy that goes to a coffee shop and sits outside when it's cold and/or raining/snowing. I enjoy that and if you're like me, then heavy jacket (B3/B6/ANJ4) will be great. If it's your only jacket, then it's more difficult. The ANJ4 is busier than some designs, but it's grown on me over time...maybe one day.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I'm selling a vintage Aero AN-J-4 for a friend at the moment (size 40) on VLJF.
Fine looking design if I say so myself: 2-tone seal/redskin.

riskyB

New in Town
I find the B-6 to be a good light-weight shearling design. I have Eastman (standard and RW) and prototype Goodwear models in the B-6. If the temps are not too cold then it is a good design, especially if you size it so you can wear a sweater or heavy shirt under it. The ANJ-4 is a heavier jacket. You can definitely tell when wearing it for long periods of time. Personally I think it seems a little more restrictive than a B-3 in some cases. One advantage the ANJ-4 has is the trim and neat look with the non-shearling cuffs and bottom compared to the B-3. I find the B-6 is not as warm as the ANJ-4. I think the ANJ-4 and B-3 are more in the same class as far as warmth goes with a slight edge to the B-3 (full length wind flap behind the zipper). The B-6 is more comparable to the D-1 in terms of warmth and ease of wear.

Mark-D

New in Town
Thanks for all the valuable suggestions. I really appreciate it.

This will not be my onle jacket, I am having a half-belt with thin woolen lining and if possible a detachable mouton collar made too. So the plan is to cover all weather types with two jackets.

In winter I like to wear a thin woolen sweater over an Icebreaker baselayer (100% merino woolen T-shirt). I like the icebreakers very much, they are very warm when they need to be, but also cool when it is warmer. This is due the excellent wool used in them. They exist in different weights and with long and short sleeves. They are T-shirt thin and coupled with a thin woolen sweater, you have a lot of insulation and warmth, for very little bulk.

A jacket that is so warm that you can only wear a T-shirt under it I like less, because you have much less options. At work during the day in winter I will not be able to wear my jacket and just a T-shirt will be too cold during the day.

I just have gotten a little bit more confused. I saw this on the noble house website: http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/images/M44newfrontgr.jpg

They call it an M-44, but to me it looks like a version of the ANJ-4... Did they make a mistake, or?

There's a youtube presentation here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLt6uYVodlc

majormajor

One Too Many
Almost pulled the trigger on an Eastman ANJ-4. But in the end, I just couldn't live with such a huge fur collar.

Great for sitting in cold aeroplanes. But for everyday, just TOO bulky for me...;):D

JLStorm

Practically Family
The ANJ-4 is definitely similar to the B-3. I have an ANJ-4 / B-3 cross that I had custom made by aero a few years ago and saying it's warm is an understatement. Mine is entirely overlayed in midweight horse, so its probably a little warmer than normal, but I doubt its that much different. If its above 30F, I can't zip it up without getting to hot even if I'm only wearing a T-shirt. It's perfect it weather under 15F and perfectly warm in sub zero temperatures. I would think the B6 is probably a better choice if you arent in extremely cold temps a great deal of the time.

D

Deleted member 16736

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark-D

New in Town
I'm not a 44 alas.

I've been looking at the ELC B-6. It does look very nice and is cheaper than an Aero B-6.

These are the measurements for sizes 38 and 40:

ELC B-6 Size 38
ARMPIT TO ARMPIT: 56 cm

SHOULDER SEAM TO SEAM: 47 cm

SLEEVE LENGTH FROM SHOULDER SEAM TO CUFF: 60 cm

BACK LENGTH FROM NAPE OF NECK SEAM TO BOTTOM OF WAISTBAND: 62.3 cm

ELC B-6 Size 40
ARMPIT TO ARMPIT: 58.5 cm

SHOULDER SEAM TO SEAM: 50cm

SLEEVE LENGTH FROM SHOULDER SEAM TO CUFF: 61 cm

BACK LENGTH FROM NAPE OF NECK SEAM TO BOTTOM OF WAISTBAND: 63.5 cm

It seems to me that the 38 would fit me nicely, as I have a 97cm chest size. I think a back length of 62,3cm might be a bit on the short side, though, so might consider having 1 or 1,5" added to that...

But ELC will not just add length to the body, they also lengthen the sleeves... Would this make the sleeves too long (61cm)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ