Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Annette Funicello RIP

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Its a sad day for Mouseketeer's every where! Annette Funicello passed away, October 22, 1942 – April 8, 2013. I am sure that lots of the men on the Fedora Lounge had a crush on her! The good do die young.
061110-Annette-Funicello-400_zps2919b413.jpg

I had a major league crush (to put it euphemistically) for Annette when I was a kid.

Looking at those photos of her on the Washington Post website today, I concluded that Ms. Funicello appealed mostly to young (as is pre-adolescent) males. Maybe that's projecting my own biases far too widely, but whatever she had that really worked on me when I was a lad just didn't do it for me when I had a few more miles on my odometer. I still found her pretty, sure, but, well, you know.

Major props to her for going public with her MS, and not just hiding away. There's nothing shameful in a disabling condition. The more that celebrities such as Annette Funicello (and Roger Ebert, to cite another recently deceased example) continue to lead public lives while their health problems take their toll, the better things are for the ordinary folks.

Cricket

Practically Family
For some reason when I was a little girl, I loved to watch the VHS my mother had of "The Monkey's Uncle." I would watch it over and over again. I always thought she was such a beautiful, wholesome person, even in my young, child mind. From watching reruns of the Mickey Mouse Club to the beach era to Disney classics, I always enjoyed watching her. Such a sad loss, it almost feels like you are losing a close friend or family member from all the years she was brought into our home via our television.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto