Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anniversary Of The Dambusters Raid.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well pointed out Dragon Soldier.

One of the most audacious operations undertaken and a feat of incredible of airmanship.

The first aircraft took off just after 9pm GMT so not long now to the hour.

Story

I'll Lock Up
He was the loyal companion of the Dambusters hero whose extraordinary bravery enthralled the nation.
Now ghost hunters believe the spectre of the Dambusters' canine mascot is still faithfully guarding his master's old quarters.
They are convinced that the wraiths of both Wing Commander Guy Gibson and his chocolate–coloured Labrador haunt the remote airfield from which the audacious raid was launched.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ead-labrador-WWII-memorial.html#ixzz1cd6ZdlWy

davidraphael

Practically Family
There's also a very interesting story at the other end of the raid. I worked on screenplay a while back about a family living below the Möhne dam/reservoir just before it was attacked.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That was great to watch.

When I was a kid in the UK (born '56) Guy Gibson was a household name. I wonder if that is still the case?

Interestingly, the father of some friends of ours (here in the US) was in the US Air Force during the war and was somehow associated with 617 Squadron. He had told us stories of Gibson and Barnes Wallace - I'm sure he exaggerated, but still really cool.

Sad that of all the Lancasters that were build so very few are still around.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The last Canadian survivor, and if I interpret the article correctly, the second last survivor overall, has died, aged 95.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...ii-raid-dies-at-age-95/ar-BBSBPIv?ocid=ientp2

Dambuster.jpg

"Fifty-three of the 133 airmen were killed. At least 1,300 others on the ground died from the bombings and subsequent floods.

Sutherland, a front gunner, was honoured for his bravery in April 2018 with a portrait by renowned painter Dan Llywelyn Hall. It was donated to the Bomber Command Museum of Canada in Nanton.

The Dambusters raid was considered a critical morale booster on the homefront, heavily damaging Hitler's dams. But the legacy was complicated due to the civilian deaths, and the fact that the war continued.

That wasn't lost on Sutherland, who was only 20 years old at the time of the raid.

"If you think something's right, you're going to fight for it," he said at the portrait unveiling. "I don't know the answer, but I know I'd do it again, even knowing what it was like."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21