Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anorak : Like Pitt wears in "TIBET"

Doug C

Practically Family
Does anyone know of a place that sells a vintage looking Anorak, something like the ones worn by Brad Pitt in "Seven Years In Tibet" ? I watched it recently and have had that look on my mind ever sence. I'm actually interested in the woven head gear too that's worn with the anorak, if anyone knows anything about it. Shoot I guess any and all the gear that Pitt (in particular) wears in the mountain is of interest to me...boots,etc. I think the backpack is probably a Swiss rucksack.

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
I wish I had some, but unfortunately not:cry: Maybe someone else would provide one or two? I'm not quite that technical I'm afraid.

Doug C

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
seven_years_in_tibet-brad_pitt.jpg

Here's a couple options:

http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/bcstore/clothing/outerwear/anorak/index.html

http://www.drop-zone.com/Cart/index.cfm?ac=product_popup&supplyid=1128

I really like anoraks, and have a few. I have one from The Gap (I know, I know, but I like the anorak!) that I wear pretty frequently. It's showing a lot of wear now, but is pretty tough. Looks good with shorts and a hat, too!

Baggers

Practically Family
Wasn't Brad Pitt's character a German? And more specifically a nazi? If so, then how about something like this (scroll down just past the middle of the page)? I'm starting to collect a few pieces of these Chinese made repros, and I've been impressed with the quality and price, even with the shipping factored in. And before anyone thinks that I've "turned to the dark side," I'm only doing it as research for an idea I'm playing around with. And, well, yeah, ya gotta admit the Germans did have some cool looking uniform items. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Baggers said:
Wasn't Brad Pitt's character a German? And more specifically a nazi? I'm starting to collect a few pieces of these Chinese made repros, and I've been impressed with the quality and price, even with the shipping factored in. And before anyone thinks that I've "turned to the dark side," I'm only doing it as research for an idea I'm playing around with. And, well, yeah, ya gotta admit the Germans did have some cool looking uniform items. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

He was Austrian, and yes a party member. But not a very good one. Mostly in name & image only in the Fatherland. The true character was only about himself and didn't really care about the Nazi Party. He just wanted the funding from them to go climbing. Well, enough of the useless trivia.

Cheers!

Dan

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks for the replys. I like the Arctic one, but it would have to be dyed another color ...probably olive drab or brown. Wonder if it would take? Who makes Chinese repros? Or is that just of German militaria, I mean does it include the anorak, I'm confused. I would have though that maybe the Swiss had an Anorak used in the military but couldn't find anything. Anyway the look is cool I think with the snow goggles. Shoot me when I start looking for cramp-ons (LOL)..

Doug C

Baggers

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
I would remind you that there is no posting of live eBay auctions.

Sorry, Hemingway, I forgot. He's actually running a store there, but I've re-edited the post to link to the vendor's off eBay site.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
That's a pretty cool anorak, Baggers!

Yeah, isn't it? It's pretty close to the "Tibet" jacket, but has a few more features such as the three chest pockets instead of one. It also has two hip pockets on the back, a crutch strap to secure between the legs, and straps on the wrists. And this version is also reversible, complete with all pockets on both sides. The new link I provided shows it in much better detail, just click on the images to get enlargements. The neat thing is the two layer construction should make it even more windproof. I may pick one up for Fall and Winter -- assuming we ever get one here!

Doug, the Chinese are now making some very good and inexpensive repros of a lot of German and American WW2 militaria which is being sold by several online vendors, as well as that well known auction site. The Americans didn't use an anorak, but the Germans and British did. For boots, some Gebirgsjager (German mountain troops) reenactors try to find old Swiss military mountaineering boots. Sometimes they even have something similar to the correct metal studs on the soles. You do not want someone stepping on your fingers while he's wearing a pair of those!

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Doug C said:
Oooh, yeah I like that one too & it's the right color as well!

Doug C

Doug, if you like this one, follow the corrected link I posted earlier in this thread and you'll see it in much greater detail.

Cheers!

Doug C

Practically Family
Baggers, thanks for that link.. got some other items I'm interested in and didn't even know it (LOL). The Anorak is definately the ticket although I'm not too crazy about the attached "thong" lol !! I probably will buy one though, it's a descent price.

Doug C

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm quite the Anorak and Mountaineering kit fancier too.

I have a selection of wartime British and Swedish anoraks- khaki, olive and tan.

I'm sure I must have made a thread about anoraks before... no..?

The Gebirgsj?§ger Anoraks are really nice but I'm not to keen on the reversible to white and the fact that the white side shows. I used to have one of those, which was made by Lost Batallions- the HK one looks perhaps better and the vendor is very helpful.

B
T

Baggers

Practically Family
Doug C said:
Baggers, thanks for that link.. got some other items I'm interested in and didn't even know it (LOL). The Anorak is definately the ticket although I'm not too crazy about the attached "thong" lol !! I probably will buy one though, it's a descent price.

Doug C

Yeah, it is a bit like a candy store, isn't it? Regarding the "thong," just run it through the hole and up the inside of the anorak and secure it to the button provided for the purpose.

You have to admit that, for the price, you can't beat it with a stick. The LB version mentioned by BT runs over $300 USD! With that kind of savings, you'll get used to the strap. :) And besides, it's authentic.

Cheers!

Ken

A-List Customer
I'm really interested in a jacket like the one mentioned in this thread but all the links are dead- can anyone help?

Ken

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
A close approximation to the type of anorak worn by the character in the movie is the British Army cadet windproof smock (on issue until the 1960s). They have a zip at the neck, which can be replaced with a lace, but otherwise are of a similar configuration, albeit in dark green They usually sell for less than 10GBP. I gave an example to BT last January, which he was going to 'do up' and show us. Hint...hint...

Alan

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
The empire canvas anorak is a top notch piece of kit. I've got one and it is very well made. I have to force myself not to pick up more anoraks at thrift stores or my wife will have the locks changed on our house.

The style of anorak in the Brad Pitt photo was made in US in the 1950's and 1960's by various outfitters such as Gerry, REI and the like. I recall seeing them in catalogs. These were generally made of a poplin like fabric, generally 60/40 ("mountain cloth"). Gerry Cunningham wrote a book on making outdoor gear and clothing and there is a pattern for that style of anorak in the book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana